LegacyGT.com

06Legacy Non-Turbo --> Turbo

How much money is there to burn? Not sure you can slap a turbo on the n/a and make a save bump power worth the price of the kit. Not as simple as grabbing gt headers,up,turbo & lines,down and a tune.

Cheapest way would be find a good running GT as the resale value of the n/a will go down quite a bit with turbo swaps unless you could care less about that at this point. The amount for a legit swap will be the price of a mid to high mileage STi of same year.

I'm intrerested too. I've just landed an awesome job also. It is just awesome enough to spend a bunch of money doing stupid things to a cheap car, but not awesome enough to just buy a nice car from the get-go.

Subscribed

:hide:

lol

Here's a quick rundown.

The GT engine is DOHC EJ255, the 2.5i is SOHC EJ25.

To do anything logical with a turbo setup you need the DOHC engine.

Your 5MT is a different 5MT than the one in the GT. You have different gear ratios, and the 2.5i manual isn't as strong as the GT manual, so you'd need to buy a Turbo 5MT and a different clutch, possibly a different driveshaft too.

That's just the start, you have so far to go to make your car into a GT that you'd be better off selling the 2.5i and buying a GT.

This has been covered a number of times, and the consensus is always "Sell the NA, buy a GT." You'll be pouring money into a project with an unreliable and most likely disappointing outcome. Since you're in a better place financially now, sell the NA.. buy a GT.

I'm intrerested too. I've just landed an awesome job also. It is just awesome enough to spend a bunch of money doing stupid things to a cheap car, but not awesome enough to just buy a nice car from the get-go.

Subscribed

Its like you are in my head! There is a chance that Quantum Entanglement has transmitted the information from my life to you! Or you are clairvoyant. Either way I was discouraged by the others saying to just buy a new car, but as you all can see, dr_sharp and I both think this is a worthy investment.

On another note I think I'll just save up a few more years and Buy a GT as others recommended. I know this decision comes as a huge disappointment to those wanting to turbo their n/a (namely dr_sharp), but the advice is sound.

Thanks!

:hide:

2.5i to 2.5 (well, XT in my case) owner right here. I'm a convert! I actually got a really good deal and upgraded for $0, sold the 2.5i for more than the XT cost. Just shop smart. The only swap I'd say would be worth doing would be to get a half cut of a EDM 3.0R spec b and swap that over in the US. Mmmmm

Here's a quick rundown.

The GT engine is DOHC EJ255, the 2.5i is SOHC EJ25.

To do anything logical with a turbo setup you need the DOHC engine.

Your 5MT is a different 5MT than the one in the GT. You have different gear ratios, and the 2.5i manual isn't as strong as the GT manual, so you'd need to buy a Turbo 5MT and a different clutch, possibly a different driveshaft too.

That's just the start, you have so far to go to make your car into a GT that you'd be better off selling the 2.5i and buying a GT.

Aswell as the heads, the compression ratio for a non turbo will be way too high for a starter so unless you'd be thinking of running really low boost things would get messy real quick.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Archived