LegacyGT.com

Armrest extension - not sure I need one

just_phil

Hi all,

I've read a lot of complaints everywhere that the factory armrest is too low and too far back. I, however, don't exactly feel that way. While I feel it may be a little too far back, the height seems to be just ok for my taste. Maybe it's because a have a relatively short torso.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone felt that they didn't really need an armrest extension, but got one anyway? If so, what are you observations in terms of confort before/after the upgrade. I understand the extra storage benefit, but I'd rather be comfortable in the first place.

Also, are USDM and JDM extensions of the same height?

TIA

Fil

I've got the European armrest extension and I love it. Absolutely recommend it over the USDM version. Much more "integrated" in appearance. No exposed hardware. The latch is hidden beneath it (not out in the front). Don't miss the extension movement feature. And the 2nd compartment in the lid is a nice touch.

I don't mind having mine. It is a tad low and far back, but it if was where most people want it, one of the cup holders would be useless.

The Dual Box console (JDM/EDM) does not interfere with the cup holder unless you are trying to hold a super-sized xtra large slurpy gulp. :D

I've got the European armrest extension and I love it. Absolutely recommend it over the USDM version. Much more "integrated" in appearance. No exposed hardware. The latch is hidden beneath it (not out in the front). Don't miss the extension movement feature. And the 2nd compartment in the lid is a nice touch.

Where can I get the euro armrest?

^^ +1!

How much was it? I went to a Subaru dealer here in town to price out the USDM armrest extension..... just to find out that it was around 180$!

That's rediculous! What're they thinking?

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

i like mine to rest my elbow on. It's pretty useless otherwise though

I have one and its pretty much useless. It doesn't come up far enough. I have to lean back just to have my elbow rest there. Very uncomfortable. Should come up further, imo.

holds a lot of stuff, too - especially useful if you throw a radio where the cubby used to be.

I have one and its pretty much useless. It doesn't come up far enough. I have to lean back just to have my elbow rest there. Very uncomfortable. Should come up further, imo.

I am tall (6'0"). I keep my seat all the way down and back a little bit because I have long legs. It's perfect height for me :)

I am tall (6'0"). I keep my seat all the way down and back a little bit because I have long legs.

Yikes!

I'm about your height too, Wayne, but I sit much, much closer.

You must have some really long legs! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Can anyone post some pics of the various armrest extensions?

Thanks!

There are only 2 that I know of. The USDM and the EDM/JDM/rest of the world ones. Do a search for my screen name and Unilat. We both have posted pictures in the past. :)

^^ +1!

How much was it? I went to a Subaru dealer here in town to price out the USDM armrest extension..... just to find out that it was around 180$!

That's rediculous! What're they thinking?

That price seems a bit high! Is it including cost of installation? If so, it's a rip-off. The extension lists for about $145.00 and I bought mine from subarupartsforyou.com for about $110.00 plus shipping. I installed it myself from instructions in another thread from this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
The pictures I have seen of the "off black" JDM/EDM armrest extension show it to have a gray color to it. Is this just an optical illusion? Is it the same color as the stock US armrest?

It's the exact same color. Actually, the top of the JDM/EDM versions is the exact cubby cover that comes with your car (unless your car came with a USDM armrest extension).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just installed the euro arm rest and it was odd at first but I love it now.

I am tall and it works great. Getting the short throw shifter next week and I think I willbe loving the combo.

The "ivory" color is the same as the light tan US color, btw, in case people are concerned about that.

The extra cubby is nice to have, too.

I installed the USDM one that I bought here from jedimaster and I always use it. I don't know why this was not a standard equipment on the car! Come on, I can do without the stupid little useless storage pocket in between the air vents for a standard armrest extension!

X

---

I don't know why they made a separate, inferior UDSM version. It flips up a couple of inches and is useful as an armrest, but the other global versions have the handy storage bin too. The price is silly too.

I mostly just leave it down. Not that useful, but it was already on the car, so I kept it.

Archived