Quieting my exhaust setup

bsax14

I've got an 05 lgt wagon with the following exhaust setup:

Perrin equal length headers

Cobb iconel up

Invidia catted dp

Avo mid/Y

Prodrive mufflers

This setup sounds great, but is a little too loud for my taste. I'd like to quiet it down, while keeping my performance as much as possible. Should I :

A. Add a resonator to the y pipe

B. Change the mufflers back to stock

C. Put on stock mid/y

I've also got some a Borla hush setup, but is for a sedan. But I understand those are slip fittings.

Would like to hear everyone's opinion on the issue, thanks in advance!

(B) Put back the oem mufflers for quietness... Hooking back your oem mufflers will make a world of difference in the timbre of your exhaust note...Most likely performance will not be affect, unless your turbo set up is titanic...

...I tried adding a resonator to my Magnaflow system(sounded great)- still too much drone inside for me....ended up with the Borla-no drone, love it...stock muffs are always the quietest(almost miss them sometimes)....everyone has a different preference for sound, so..good luck.

I'm in this boat as well. I've got an FMS catback and while I looove how it sounds when opened up, the every day noise it makes from light to light and around town is just unnecessary. Would love to keep the sound, but lower the volume until I'm really on the throttle. Going SPT catback shopping me thinks.

I added a magnaflow 3" resonator in my perrin mid (Replaced the one that was there) and with the prodrive mufflers it was nearly perfect for me. Was a bit too loud at WOT but at idle and cruise it was very nice. I swapped in STi cans from a 2011 sedan and its now louder at idle but quieter at cruise (The timber moved down into the bassier region and its not as audible) and it's nearly stock quiet at WOT. (I can hear all the wonderful valvetrain and other noises at WOT)

The STi cans can fit but require work to get them in there. I know someone that would want to buy your prodrives also if you did want to swap them. They are the best sounding sedan mufflers IMO.

• Mega Users

OP, I'd like to hijack your thread for a moment if you don't mind.

-Perrin 1 piece catted DP

-stock CBE

From 65-78 it sounds like shhhhhht. Its like a growning/moaning/droning sound. Above 80 MPH, it goes away completely. All gaskets are new, and I'm using a 2.5-3" adapter, so the connections are very solid.

I was thinking EL headers. Many have suggested that would be a good choice. I'm not going to spring on them if people think that this is what you get when you match up a 3" dp to a 2.5" CBE

I'm not sure what else I could do. I like the way our stock CBE looks, especially tucked. I'd keep it even if I went stage 3. The perrin/stock CBE setup sounds awesome at idle and WOT. just not at 2700-3200 rpm

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I've got an 05 lgt wagon with the following exhaust setup:

This setup sounds great, but is a little too loud for my taste. I'd like to quiet it down, while keeping my performance as much as possible. Should I :

A. Add a resonator to the y pipe

B. Change the mufflers back to stock

C. Put on stock mid/y

A. and C. Because the stock mid/y pipe has a stock resonator in it.

The stock mufflers will not help as much and the would restrick your flow.

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

Sorry for jumping the thread, but i decided to ask here rather than start a new one.

I have the same issue:

I JUST got my full AVO set on my turbo back with the AVo UP, Catted DP, and full mid/y pipe and mufflers from AVO. (also tuned)

The drone is sometimes rather loud and the wife has made her comments about it .... I can stand it but it does get to me sometimes.

I read that the AVO mid pipe already has a resonator... So what are my options, i do not want to lose the sound... just want to lower it a a few notches...

Btw got a baby due soon so that might also be a reason..

Thanks.

I had the AVO TBE....go with stock cans!

You can sell the AVO cans for a nice chunk of change

Think I will lose all that wonderful sound or just some? Cuz i would be pretty pissed if i lost all of it and went back to nothing >< :eek::eek:

A. and C. Because the stock mid/y pipe has a stock resonator in it.

The stock mufflers will not help as much and the would restick your flow.

There's a thread on here where a dyno was done with full exhaust and then full exhaust minus stock mufflers. The stock mufflers lost 2hp/20 ft lbs. Definitely acceptable given how quiet they make the car.

I have a Cobb downpipe, AVO mid/Y, and then stock mufflers. No drone, incredibly quiet, but still has a nice note when you step on it. A resonator to kill drone and then the stock mufflers is the way to go for quietness.

I had moderate success with my custom setup, Borla XR1 for a resonator, and then two borlas for rear mufflers. It's close to being as quiet as stock, but obviously not the same. Pipe diameter has a lot to do with sound level. I regret not making my rear duals each 2" (they're 2.25" each). If I were to do it again I would do the same mufflers, but do the following diameters: 3" DP. 2.75" midpipe section, 2" or even 1.75" rear after the Y. I don't know how helpful this may be, but information is information. Borlas are great at suppressing sound, and hold up a long time. Good luck with quieting her down.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Would switching my prodrive mufflers for the stock ones, warrant a re-tune? Just would like to know if it would be running dangerously rich because of the muffler switch...

Also, does adding a resonator t the y-pipe, actually quiet the overall exhaust tone? I've added the stock cans back on for now, just weighing my options...

Also... The y-pipe I have seems to be a full 3" which matched up fine with the prodrive mufflers....but after I put stock mufflers back on, the exhaust "bottlenecks" as the entrance pipe to the mufflers are 2.5"...are there any y-pipes that taper into a 2.5" fitting to better mate with the stock mufflers? Input greatly appreciated!

Archived