LegacyGT.com

Transmission flush and its the same!

Ok previously I've been having transmission problems. Downshifting hard when the car is first turned on and coming to a stop sign. Second problem is when the car first shifts into 4th gear then to overdrive while switching into overdrive it jerks.

All the time when the car isnt warmed up. Sometime a little bit after the car is warm to the half mark it still does it. After 20 minutes of driving it doesnt do it. It shifts smoothly into overdrive.

Can somebody help me. I think if I take it to the dealer they are going to say just let the car warm up. I was thinking about draining the tranny fluid out and kill the tranny.

I dont think I should have to feel the jerk and have to wait about 20minutes before it doesnt do it. 2005 2.5i with 27000 miles auto shouldnt be having any problems.

It sounds like it's operating normally to me. The TCU will change the shift behavior according to its termperature. If you ever drive your car in sub-zero temperatures, you'll also find that the car won't shift into overdrive until you've driven about 10 miles.

Edmundu Recommeded (when I was look'n) to replace the tranny/diff fluid with:

MTL-R

Manual Transmission Lube GL4/GL5 – 75W90 (1 gallon)

HDS-5

Heavy Duty Synthetic GL5 Gear Lube 75W90 (One quart for diff)

Let me tell you after a few hundred miles.....shift'n is smoother then butter. I'm gonna assume you have an Auto cuz you talk about an overdrive button. Its normal in the MT when it's really cold to have trouble shifing into gears. Never heard the problem on an AT......

MTL-R

HDS-5

Let me tell you after a few hundred miles.....shift'n is smoother then butter. I'm gonna assume you have an Auto cuz you talk about an overdrive button. Its normal in the MT when it's really cold to have trouble shifing into gears. Never heard the problem on an AT......

Yep its an automatic. Whats weird is the gears shift pretty smoothly when its going from 1st to 4th when its cold. Only the overdrive kicks when it's cold (Jerks pretty hard I'm talkin real noticeable)and when you go to the first couple of stop signs. Somebody told me it might be te torque converter lock up.

If it is the torque converter lock up. If I get a dianostic with the machine that they run it on can it tell if the torque converter is bad even if the car is warmed up? After the car is warmed up and running for about 20-30 mins it switches smoothly. Even the over drive does.

MTL-R

HDS-5

What brand? I'm almost at 30k and due for tranny fluid/rear diff fluid replacement. I was planning on just sticking w/ Valvoline 75W90, but if this stuff you're using is that much better, I may go to that. What's the cost?

whats another way to reset you ecu besides taking the battery cable off?

check the fuse boxes for an ecu fuse and pull it if there are more than one then pull them all let it sit for 5-10 min. and reinstall fuses then turn the car on let the idle settle down to normal rev the engine a few times (not to red line just goose it) then drive through all the gears up and down then drive easy for 5-10 miles you should be set after that

I still say this is normal. Your car should be shifting harder and later when the temperature is cold. My family's last 4 Subarus all do this. The TCU adjusts the shifts when the car is cold to protect the engine and transmission.

If you use your car under Subaru's "Severe Duty" type conditions the trans fluid should've been changed at 15k.

I'd bet that just changing the fluid will eliminate your harsh shifting. I'd use the factory fluid as it has special friction modifiers in it for the Subaru tranny's.

If you use your car under Subaru's "Severe Duty" type conditions the trans fluid should've been changed at 15k.

I'd bet that just changing the fluid will eliminate your harsh shifting. I'd use the factory fluid as it has special friction modifiers in it for the Subaru tranny's.

I had subaru do my transmission Flush. So whatever fluid that they use is what I got. I noticed smoother shifting in all the gears. Its just the switching of the 4th gear to overdrive that it kicks.

• 2 years later...

I took delivery of a 2005 OBP Legacy GT Wagon with Automatic Trans and 35k on the clock two weeks ago. During the last week I've noticed after I've been driving about an hour (mainly on the highway) when I slow down coming to a stop the transmission kicks when I get down to about 15-10 mph. This happens in regular and sports mode as long as I'm not manually shifting the transmission down through the gears. It never happens when the transmission is cold...only after I've been driving for an hour. Other than this I have not noticed anything odd about the transmissions behavior but my experience with automatics is limited, I've always owned manuals in the past.

Anyone else ever experience or hear of behavior like this?

• 2 years later...

Mikealdea, I bought my 09 in jan and have been wondering about that for the past 10k miles. I wasn't sure if it was me or if this was a common thing. Typically it's after the engine is warm say coming home from work, slowing down off the off ramp as i come to the bottom for the red light i know it's in second and as i'm at about 5-10mph it shifts into firts kinda clunky and then i'm stopped 2 seconds later. It's a terrible shift from 2 to 1 when warm not even when the car is cold.

I do notice a little rough/late shift when the car is cold but i believe that is the sensors doing that to protect the engine until it is warmed up. this is more noticable in the winter or cool morings.

My transmission was power flushed at the 60k service. Dealer said the fluid looked very dirty. I haven't noticed that clunky shift into first since but I've been riding more and driving less. Plus I sort of got used to the clunky shift before the service so I stopped paying that much attention when it happened.

My only complaint when my car is cold is the ECU won't let me accelerate hard from a standstill until the engine is up to normal operating temperature. That is true no matter what the outside temperature. I guess a remote start would help so the engine would have time to warm up before I get into drive in the morning.

• 1 month later...

Well I ended up doing the BG flush instead of the typically drain and flush at the 30k service, my service manager also had his tech reflash my tranny so it can "relearn" for my style of driving.

the whole ecu preventing us from slammin down the accelerator when cold is a good thing, while its a PITA if you're in a rush it's a precaution to prevent damage

The whole ecu preventing us from slammin down the accelerator when cold is a good thing, while its a PITA if you're in a rush it's a precaution to prevent damage

I agree it is good to prevent damage to the engine but it is a problem when I have to pull out into traffic and my LGT won't accelerate as fast as my wife's Hyundai Sonata. I really should get that remote start for this Winter.

either a remote start or start it and relax for a couple minutes, accelerating that hard before the fluids and parts are up to temp is a terrible idea. I used to live farther from the merrit pkwy but i moved and i'm only a couple miles away, even with these temps right now my idiot warm light barely turns off before the highway ramp. just gonna have to take a few extra minutes in the am to warm up.

i'm going to install a compustar remote/alarm system which will also activate teh stock subaru alarm system as well. It has a 2 way paging system 1+ mile range and great customer service.

Archived