LegacyGT.com

Second left front wheel bearing

While changing over to other winter tires on my wagon, I noticed play in the left front tire after running the lug nuts down with the butterfly impact gun.

As I put my hand on the tire to get up off the driveway to get the torque wrench I noticed the movement of the tire. It moved pretty freely.

Last week I thought I heard a humming sound while driving home from work one day. I did drive the car to VT over the weekend, turned off the radio while going over the flyover interchange's on the highway's but didn't hear any noise. I also didn't get any shaking in the steering wheel, as I have felt before...sometimes as the pavement changed on the highway.

This bearing was replaced by a repair shop, not my trusted mechanic, Feb 5 2011, about 98,000 miles ago.

I have replace the other 3 hubs later that year.

So, after removing the wheel again, the axle nut came right off with the 1/2" impact, the caliper bolts came out nice and easy, because I use anti-seize on the bolts when I paint them yearly. Rotor pops right off...now it come to the four hub mount bolts...

I sprayed them with Areo-Kroil but after a few tries they still won't break free. I gave them a few spray's with the fluid last evening, before it got dark. I'll try again after work today.

I did order a Timken from post 162 here, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p5.html

Then had to change/update the CC number, because I was to lazy to get my wallet and just used the CC they had on file. I think the order get replaced, but it keeps coming up with a "buy again" button.

If I don't get a shipping notice today, I guess I'll hit "buy again"...if I get two of them, I'm sure I'll need another one someday...

More to come later...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too

As part of the 'love' of owning a Subaru I consider wheel bearings as just something that needs doing, regularly. I have some which have lasted and some which have not but I am never surprised, nor am I that bothered when they fail... again.

I keep a couple in stock so to speak... even the 2012 WRX has wrecked it's bearing.

Is it strange that i'm at 122,000 miles with ALL the original wheel bearings? i notice a slight high pitched whine at 45mph, but it has done that since I got it 4+ years ago with 50,000 miles. i usually just go 44 or 46 and its perfectly fine, never any issues otherwise (with the bearings at least).

This one left front, was replaced Jan 27 2010 just short of 140,515 miles have listed in my book after the Feb 5th 2011 where the starter was replaced at 140,515. (bad record keeping)

The left rear was at 152,600 miles Mar 31 2012

Right Front at 155,650 miles June 27 2012

Right rear at 159,190 miles Sept 15 2012

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Is it strange that i'm at 122,000 miles with ALL the original wheel bearings? i notice a slight high pitched whine at 45mph, but it has done that since I got it 4+ years ago with 50,000 miles. i usually just go 44 or 46 and its perfectly fine, never any issues otherwise (with the bearings at least).

I haven't had any wheel bearing issues on my legacy. After snapping the two front pinch bolts and replacing the knuckles, I voluntarily replaced my front wheel bearings then at around 160k. Replaced the rears at around 190k to be proactive, and just felt like working on my car.

I give up. I still can't break the four bolts loose. When the hub get's here, the car will go to my trusted mechanic next week.

I put it back together and moved the car in the driveway.

Glad I got the Spec B to drive.

This one left front, was replaced Jan 27 2010 just short of 140,515 miles have listed in my book after the Feb 5th 2011 where the starter was replaced at 140,515. (bad record keeping)

The left rear was at 152,600 miles Mar 31 2012

Right Front at 155,650 miles June 27 2012

Right rear at 159,190 miles Sept 15 2012

I'm jealous. I went thru them so fast, I ordered a new set everytime I replaced the old set. My worst was 600 miles of life. Of course that on a track, but still...600 miles? WTH?

Just so you know I didn't just take the easy way out, in my defense, the hub is pretty black, looks there there was a lot of heat there.

I'm going to order 4 new mount bolts from the dealer also.

I'll coat the threads with anti-seize so they should come out easier the next time.

Just heard back from my buddy at the parts counter, at Suburban Subaru, the bolts will be here tomorrow. I emailed him an hour ago to order them.

I can't say enough to contact the local parts department and build a relationship with them.

That sucks that they are still stuck on you. You can try a torch on the thread side of the bolts, I believe the bolt threads are exposed on the hub. You may also want to try tightening the bolts and then clean the exposed part with a wire brush on a die grinder or drill. Or cut slits in the bolts and "ears" where the threads are with a cut off wheel. Hope everything works out for you. When i did mine, the bolts came out fine but the circular part froze to the housing.

What are you using to break the bolts loose? 1/2" or 3/8" ratchet or impact gun? How long is it if it's a ratchet? A pipe can help when using shorter ratchets. There could be locktite on the bolts so map gas would come in handy.

Used a 1/2" breaker bar and could feel the socket begin to slip on a couple of them. The 1/2" impact gun is to big to fit in there with the axle in the way. Also tried a 1/2" drive deep impact socket on the breaker bar, a 3/8 drive shallow socket, tired hitting the end of the breaker bar with a hammer while trying to break it loose .

I'd rather leave something that is decent for the mechanic to put a tool on.

It's to much of a PITA to me to pull the knuckle and do this on the bench...this time of year. If this was late April, I would do that. Skiing and winter weather is getting in the way. Headed back to VT after work tomorrow for the weekend.

Just heard back from my buddy at the parts counter, at Suburban Subaru, the bolts will be here tomorrow. I emailed him an hour ago to order them.

I can't say enough to contact the local parts department and build a relationship with them.

Agree Max, My local Subaru dealer is a wonderful resource. I do get a better price because I was a tech there and I buy a bunch of parts there.

I'm jealous. I went thru them so fast, I ordered a new set everytime I replaced the old set. My worst was 600 miles of life. Of course that on a track, but still...600 miles? WTH?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Did you take the axle nut off and push it back to give you more clearance? I've noticed you are proactive when it comes to keeping things moving freely, you could probably mark the knuckle and take the strut bolts out. Worst case scenerio, you get an alignment afterwards but it would help you be able to get on bolts straight. You could avoid an alignment by taking the lower ball joint and most likely the tie-rod off to get a really good angle, but of the 2 ways, I prefer taking out the strut bolts.

My front left bearing has a hum like this at exactly 40 MPH and 60 MPH.

Did you take the axle nut off and push it back to give you more clearance? I've noticed you are proactive when it comes to keeping things moving freely, you could probably mark the knuckle and take the strut bolts out. Worst case scenerio, you get an alignment afterwards but it would help you be able to get on bolts straight. You could avoid an alignment by taking the lower ball joint and most likely the tie-rod off to get a really good angle, but of the 2 ways, I prefer taking out the strut bolts.

Oh yea, the axle slid back very easy, I tried to push it back as far as I could. But my heart is just not into it right now.

Well I just determined my left rear bearing is toast. When the car is cold and making a tight right turn I hear a loud "clunk..clunk..clunk" from that side, but once the bearings warm up the sound slowly goes away. Then I hear a slight hum going down the freeway.

Found these rear bearing hubs on ebay and they will guaranty the bearings up to 10 years. I'm all in on these!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Wheel-Hubs-Bearings-Pair-Set-NEW-for-05-10-Subaru-Outback-Legacy-/311698597160?fits=Year%3A2005|Make%3ASubaru|Model%3ALegacy|Submodel%3AGT&hash=item4892af2528:g:euUAAOSw2gxYpF-d&vxp=mtr

My wife's balls are delicious.

Can't view ebay here at work. Moog, Timken, NSK I think from NAPA work well.

I know you've seen a lot about these hub's.

$61 for the pair, it's worth it for the guaranty.

Specifications:

• Comes as a PAIR
    • Fits both LH (Driver Side) & RH (Passenger Side) REAR

[*]Direct replacements

[*]Replaces dealer part numbers: 28473AG00B, 28473AG00A, 28473-AG00B, 28473-AG00A

[*]4 Bolt Flanges

[*]Fits 5 Lug Wheels

[*]Studs already installed

[*]Built to strict quality control standards

10 Year Warranty

Effective June 23, 2014: This item is backed by a 10 Year Warranty. In the event this item should fail due to manufacturing defects during intended use, we will replace the part free of charge (excludes shipping charges) for the original purchaser.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Due to a manufacturing defect, those right there are key words.

Once you put it on your car and drive it, it wearing out in 5 years in not covered. Because it was manufactured correctly.

Other's have tried the Detroit diesel and some have not had good luck with them.

Just saying.

It least its not like its a timing belt pulley...

Archived