LegacyGT.com

Perrin short throw in a Spec B 6 speed, pretty disappointed

lordhowe

I recently ordered a Perrin short throw shifter from Fred Beans (by the way Ryan is the man) for my 09 spec B. I had Ryan call up Perrin for me to understand all of the parts that i need to get this shifter working in my spec B. Perrin had a one line-er stating for the SS to work in a spec B it needed "additional parts". Ryan spoke to Chris from Perrin and all that was needed was a sleeve and some washers.

a day later, i got the shifter along with all hardware that i thought i needed...

My friend Andy (who is also a Champ that worked at Xotic/Verocious motorsports and a reputable tuner in the mid Atlantic region) helped with the install. The moment he took it apart he told me it wasn't going to work. I called Chris back up and after asking another tech, he was able to tell me in addition to the parts that he told Ryan, i needed a linkage lock out cable and a shifter holder from a 04 STi.

I was a little disappointed after finding out that Perrin couldn't get their story straight and needed so many parts.

The additional cable and shifter holder costed me another 35 bucks from Perrin. Now i have my fingers crossed to make sure the SS works.

I have a Perrin Catted downpipe, Perrin Y pipe, Perrin mufflers/cans, Perrin Front and Rear sway bars and Perrin front and rear end links on my spec B that has less than 3000 miles.

I'm a big Perrin fan from buying numerous parts from them for my 03 wrx and I hope Perrin can do a better job testing out the parts for our Legacy's.

thanks

I really like the OEM 6-speed STS. Fantastic feel and just right throw. I have it coupled with the front Kartboy bushings and Group N rear stay.

On my 5-speed I also run OEM 5-speed STS. I had Cobb before and I hated it, the OEM is much better. In order to shorten the overall length of the shifter I recommend aftermarket knob such as Momo Air leather, that goes deep on the shifter, effectively shortening it. Perfect combo for 5-speed.

^^ I agree with you on the STi STS, i have it in my 03 wrx and it works pretty good. however i wasn't ready to throw down close to 400 bucks for a STS in my spec B, when i ordered my Perrin piece with the bushings for 170 bucks.

tjbev21: i looked for the cobb for a while but couldn't find it. I still don't see it on rallysportdirect.com's site. and yeah, i knew i was SOL which is why i went with Perrins.

Cobb STS is a POS, which is probably why they stopped making them. I actually found this forum while trying to find an alternative. Heard good things about kartboy, but I don't see a shifter for my 05 anymore.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

I wasn't aware that Perrin was even doing an STS..... That being said I'm not surprised that there are "issues".

First mod when I got the car was Kartboy STS and bushings. Love the results.

Just exchanged emails with Tom at Kartboy. Buying their STS and shift knob. Already have good bushings. That Cobb shifter is going into the trash.

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Just exchanged emails with Tom at Kartboy. Buying their STS and shift knob. Already have good bushings. That Cobb shifter is going into the trash.

You won't be disappointed.

Very happy with my results. Had a very minor issue that Tom helped me with immediately.

+1 for Kartboy.

is it the cobb 5mt da?? dont throw it away :spin::lol:

seriously ill take it off your hands

is it the cobb 5mt da?? dont throw it away :spin::lol:

seriously ill take it off your hands

the momo shifter knob is stuck on the Cobb shifter (that's not the reason why the shifter sucks). There is no way to remove it. It just turns and turns without coming off. It's f'ed.

the momo shifter knob is stuck on the Cobb shifter (that's not the reason why the shifter sucks). There is no way to remove it. It just turns and turns without coming off. It's f'ed.

ill still take it if your going to toss it

ill still take it if your going to toss it

Okay..let me get my new sts ordered and installed. I'll figure a more than reasonable price for it, including shipping.

sounds good cuz i actually want a momo too.. does it tighten or just spin in circles?

Just spins in circles. This is my second Momo shift knob. My first Momo knob simply fell apart cosmetically, like a piece of garbage. I would recommend another brand.

• 1 year later...
I paid ~$330 for the 6MT STI piece or less. Shop around.

Or buy crap, buy twice.

Old Thread but...

unclemat I sent you a PM but Ill ask here as well for reference.

I know you have the 08 STI in your leggy, so is the STS centered in the console opening?

Did you have to lengthen the linkage rods? I was just curious as that seems to be what you have to do or use the Spec B shifter linkage.

Are the linkage rods that come with the STI STS any different than the stock linkage rods?

I actually love my Cobb shifter and was looking for one for my 6 speed.

I think it is made by Mode so if I cant get a Cobb I may just go there or buy the STI unit.

I like having my stick shorter and the throw shorter and the stock STI/spec B 6 speed shifters feels like you are driving a truck. Just like the stock 5 speed.

I sent you pm with all the info.

For 6MT just get OEM SpecB STS. Perfect all around. Use stiffer bushings for better feel. I think I use Kartboy bushings in front (6MT specific) and Subaru GroupN rear bushing (fits both 5MT & 6MT). The best shifter on a Subaru ever. I also run GroupN engine & tranny mounts.

Stay away from Cobb. I believe it was quite a crap.

Archived