LegacyGT.com

wtf weird shifting and slipping after trans fluid change?

vettez062002

2000 legacy gt auto.

my car was shifting perfect but it has 118K miles and I have no idea when/if the trans was ever serviced so sunday I grabbed some filters and fluids, changed the oil and trans fluid at the same time and did a once over on the underside of the car.

now the trans is shifting all wacked out. slips and hard shifting ect.

The guy at pep boys said it says in their system that the trans takes 2.6qt. of fluid. when i drained it.. it looked a LOT more then 2.6 qts came out. and when I pulled off the filter, even more came out.

I know the manual trans will take almost a gallon but I do not have much experience with auto's.

I was told Dex. 3 was what it called for. is this correct? is there a additive I am missing or not enough fluid? Ill do more checking as today goes on but hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

thanks

Kevin

The tranny takes way more than just 2.6 quarts, that's just the amount that is in the pan, roughly speaking. The tranny capacity should be somewhere around 8-10 quarts. By doing a drain and fill you only ended up replacing a third of the fluid. I would do 2 more drains. I am not sure whether or not if Dexron 3 is what you need.

Archived