LegacyGT.com

What is your gas mileage?

you swapped from twin to single??

Yes, I have a VF28, and DCCD from an STI, and some other goodies. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/04/y6ahuqa4.jpg

You can see the controller, and my ridiculous e-brake handle, in this picture.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have a VF28, and DCCD from an STI, and some other goodies. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/04/y6ahuqa4.jpg

You can see the controller, and my ridiculous e-brake handle, in this picture.

It turns out my o2 sensor was inop. New sensor is installed and ill update you all later.

• 4 weeks later...

I was averaging 22mpg in mixed city/highway driving. I switched to a K&N ari filter a few months ago and though the engine response is better I notice my mileage seems to have dropped to 19mpg in mixed driving, even when I try to be conscious and conservative of my driving style.

2003, Legacy Wagon, stock, 130K miles.

Have also noticed over the years that tire pressure, even small changes, greatly affect the mpg.

--Des

• 1 year later...

2001 Legacy GT Limited 5-Speed Sedan.

Running 91 octane I only get around 20.5mpg with mixed city/freeway driving (never exceeding above 3,500rpm).

I feel like I should be able to do better but aside from tire pressure I don't see how a drastic change in my mpg would be possible.

I'm averaging a little over 21 mpg on the streets and I can get as much as 31 mpg (!!!) when I drive gingerly on the highway. I actively monitor my mpg using the app 'Dash' which uses an OBDII reader to monitor your driving habits. I'm sure without the app, I'd probably closer 26 mpg. Running totally stock on a 2000 Legacy GT wagon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have a 01 limited gt, 5 speed

The best I got was on a trip, 26mpg... that was during the fall when i first got her,

during the winter with 50/50 city and highway i get 21-23mpg.

Hoping during the summer it will go up :(

Anybody use a scangauge or something? I really wish our cars had the built in readings. Im very jelous of my brothres 08 ford fusion and my girlfriends old caddy.

2001 Legacy GT Limited 5-Speed Sedan.

Running 91 octane I only get around 20.5mpg with mixed city/freeway driving (never exceeding above 3,500rpm).

I feel like I should be able to do better but aside from tire pressure I don't see how a drastic change in my mpg would be possible.

Adding a K&N air filter, NGK iridium plugs and wires, and a fuel treatment helped me gain around 3-4 mpg. It might also be time to replace your fuel filter

Adding a K&N air filter, NGK iridium plugs and wires, and a fuel treatment helped me gain around 3-4 mpg. It might also be time to replace your fuel filter

Since I already have brand new OEM Plugs and Wires, I think I'll try replacing my air filter and fuel filter like you are suggesting. Thanks!

Octane does make a difference and how much Ethanol %. I use Premium only to avoid the ethanol. The higher priced fuel has more BTUs and therefor more MPG out of it than high % ethanol blends. A few years ago I ran all three grades one at a time as a test, two lowest had ethanol 20% and 10%, premium 0%. 20% had the worst fuel mileage and was the cheapest, premium was just the opposite. When I did the math to see what it cost me to drive per mile the cost of each grade was all within a few cents of each other. Since then I only use 0% ethanol blend, and have only seen that available in premium. When water gets into an ethanol blend it causes phase separation...bad deal, look it up.

On premium I've been getting ~24 MPG per tank, this is coming from the Ultra-Gauge I have installed in the car. Check it out, it is a handy tool to instantly have MPG feed back and try to adjust driving.

On a 12 mile trip to work, 50/50 city highway (70 MPH) I can get 22 - 24 MPG, while on the highway my instant best average is 28 MPG. With the AWD and cold temperatures it is difficult to do better. I've notice in my other (non Subaru) car the ambient temp really makes a difference when below 60°F MPG really tappers off.

• 2 weeks later...

The ambient temperature is up today 40 deg. F! I got 29.9 city/highway 12 miles on the way to work today. I drive in 4th and 5th gear as much as I can in the city and keep the RPM low. I also try to "short shift" as much as possible in the city and keep the RPM low. Accelerating a little harder helps spend less time sucking fuel trying to get up to speed. Once at speed the I use a feather touch on the throttle to keep the car at speed.

The highway is a little harder to work with, too much aerodynamic drag.

Personally, I think chasing MPG is a waste if time. Just drive the car. If a person can't afford gas, find a different means of transportation.

Also, buying a new or newer car for the mileage benefits is out weighed by the extra cost of the vehicle.