LegacyGT.com

Knocking sound after replacing axle

uncle humjaba

Hi all

Cascading failures on this car :spin: First I decided to resurface my front rotors because they were vibrating. Fine, but apparently letting the suspension down full droop caused one of the CV boots (passenger side) to crack. One new axle later and I now have a knocking noise that I can't reliably reproduce.

My method for replacing the axle was to unbolt the strut instead of popping the ball joint out. I left the sway bar attached. Everything is back together but now I get a knocking noise from the front that seems to happen over some bumps. I can feel some of the larger knocks through the a bit steering wheel. Accelerating, braking, and turning rapidly back and forth on flat pavement do not recreate the noise.

Any ideas?

Edit:

I should mention that I installed the popular koni/h&r combo about 15k miles ago, with stock front sway bar and end links. We only had the passenger side in the air when installing the axle, so the person helping me with the axle install stood on the lower control arm when we tried to reinstall the strut before my boneheaded self jacked up the driver side to give us more droop. Not sure if that could have damaged something.

I've been having a similar issue. I've replaced hubs, axles, and soon to be LCA's & bushings. I think my issue is a deteriorating Whiteline LCA bushing. Either that or a swabar endlink. I have the adjustable WL endlinks and that may be part of the issue.

My wagon currently has had every suspension part from chassis out replaced within the last 30k miles with the exception of knuckle and LCA. Spec B LCA going in this week so I'll see if that helps.

My clunk only seems to occur on flat roads with a slight ripple / uneven surface. No issues at all on speed bumps or curbs. That lends me to believe that it's not strut related.

I would say from experience you issue may lie in the endlink or sway bar bushings. Try detaching the sway bar completely and if the noise disappears or changes, you will know there is probably an issue in that area.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I would say from experience you issue may lie in the endlink or sway bar bushings. Try detaching the sway bar completely and if the noise disappears or changes, you will know there is probably an issue in that area.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

This is on the to do list. I ended up getting these white line adjustable for free after discovering the rest sway bar debacle a few months back.

Archived