LegacyGT.com

What turbo? wiki... with a twist

Every day there are new threads asking for help choosing a turbo. Most of the time they start out either with no power targets or targets that are unrealistic. Then the questions come up on what mods are needed to support a given turbo, and a lot of turbo choices are made and then abandoned when the person realizes the extent of supported mods needed to run said turbo and the targets are revised or abandoned when the parts bill is added up. Most of us now realize that buying a bigger turbo is not the only expense in a project and that the parts list needed gets longer the bigger the blower we bought, and that's before anything goes pop.

A lot of discussions on which turbo to buy for which power level and so on end up in disarray because of differing supporting mods applied. You can’t easily compare two turbos if they are supported differently.

Here I want to try a different approach and explore some of the limits of the stock systems in our cars, and how they should affect our purchasing decisions. Call it a turbo chooser matrix if you like but it’s more about entire systems. Any of the knowledgeable members will tell you it's not individual parts that make a strong car, but parts that work well together.

I’m going to pick some points which may seem arbitrary but I think many people shop system setups in this way. A lot of people have some kind of deal-breaker that sets a threshold that they won’t cross, or won’t cross until that part has failed or worn out already.

Laid out below are some scenarios which to me represent the limit of some fairly important or hard to replace part which represents a threshold of complexity or expense. From this would-be builders can hopefully plan their setups more easily / realistically. Note that power and torque figures are going to fall into a wide range because of varying factors like supporting mods, atmospheric conditions, fuel quality used, dyno correction factors, heartbreaker dynos, the time of the month and phase of the moon. Please use your discretion and by all means look for plots which support the numbers you think are reasonable. I suggest we level the playing field here by assuming we are using pump gas of 93MON, reasonable temps and pressure as per sea level.

Of course tuning is a big factor in final output so I will again assume that timing is within a degree or two of knock, and AFRs are in the 11:1 range since this is what the vast majority of us are doing.

The scenarios laid out so far are:

1. Stock turbo is maxed out

2. Turbo upgraded, stock injectors / TMIC / clutch maxed out

3. Sensible limit for stock block?

4. Time to go built short-block?

5. I just got divorced and I want to go crazy

For purpose of comparison I’m using the following factors:

1lb/min = 14.27cfm

1liter air = 1.0914g

1ft3 air = 0.0682lb

1cfm = 30.90g/s

1lb/min = 7.35g/s

Since the best way to get good information around here is not by searching or asking, but by posting wrong or incomplete info and then waiting for those who know to come out of the woodwork, I'll start with a few scenarios for you guys to critique / fix.

What I'd like to happen is for the mistakes to get corrected, more turbos to be suggested (along with data to support their categorization). Unique turbos can be added to the scenarios which best describe the mods required to support them. More scenarios can be added to expand into the bigger setups. Hopefully like this people can get a ballpark idea of what is going to be required to reach a given power range beyond an actual turbo.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Scenario 1: Stock turbo maxed out.

Airflow range: up to 230g/s (31lb/min) (442cfm)

Typical power outputs: 200 ~ 270whp

This is typical Stage II country for LGT / FXT / WRX models with the small stock turbos VF-40, VF-46 or TD04L-13T.

Limits

Shortblock: OK assuming healthy tune. Pistons within limits. Rods are good to 7k0rpm or so and that's not necessary or even desirable with turbos this size. Torque will be limited by boost, which on stock head bolts should be limited to 18psi.

Clutch: LGT models may see clutch slip at these figures

Intake: Stock intake ok

Intercooler: Stock TMIC may leak at or around 18psi boost

Injectors: Stock injectors should be running at more than 90%

Pump: Stock pump within safety limits if in good condition

EGBP turbine: Choke point

EGBP exhaust: High-flow catted or catless downpipe mandatory

Scenario 2: Turbo upgraded, stock injectors / TMIC / clutch maxed out

Airflow range: 270 ~ 290g/s (36 ~ 39lb/min) (513 ~ 556cfm)

Typical power outputs: 270 ~ 320whp

This is the typical range for EJ255s with moderate turbo upgrades such as the following, listed in rough order of potential. There is very little to choose between some of them:

VF-39 / VF-43 / VF-48*

VF-52

TD05H-Evo16G (BNR and Kinugawa offer direct bolt-on fitments for '05~'09 LGT models)

Limits

Shortblock: OK assuming healthy tune. Pistons within limits. Rods are good to 7k0rpm or so and that's not necessary or even desirable with turbos this size. Torque will be limited by boost, which on stock head bolts should be limited to 18psi.

Clutch: LGT models will most likely have clutch slip at these figures. WRX models should hold.

Intake: Stock intake ok

Intercooler: Stock TMIC may leak at or around 18psi boost and these turbos could produce higher peak torque if run up to higher PRs, even on pump gas. Evidence suggests the stock intercooler will see 2 to 3psi pressure drop over the core at high boost / high rpm states and an aftermarket TMIC or FMIC will be of benefit, if not strictly necessary.

Injectors: Stock injectors should be running at around 95% so this could be said to be the critical limiting factor. These turbos do run out of breath at high rpm and high boost, and in most cases more power and reliability can be had by tapering boost off and running more ignition timing. Therefore adding larger injectors to this range of turbos will not usually improve power potential on pump gas.

Pump: Stock pump may limit AFR available even if in good condition. Expect stock pump life span to be shortened considerably by being pushed this hard. Recommend upgraded aftermarket pump or stock GRB item (which flows 20l/hr more than LGT/FXT/WRX unit).

EGBP turbine: Good.

EGBP exhaust: High-flow catted or catless downpipe mandatory. Headers will add power and torque to this set-up but will almost always slow spool and response to some degree. Catback exhausts will add something at this point but still optional.

Other: Some stock BPVs may leak at these pressures. 3-port EBCS will add control authority and help smooth boost response. Stage III tune required at this point, pro-tune, dyno-tune or e-tune, they all cost $ unless you have the chops.

Scenario 3: Sensible limit for stock block?

Airflow range: 290 ~ 320g/s (39 ~ 44lb/min) (556 ~ 627cfm)

Typical power outputs: 300 ~ 340whp

This is the typical range for EJ255s with turbo upgrades like the following, listed in rough order of potential:

TD05H-18G

TD05H-68HTA on pump gas (this turbo really meant for E85)

Blouch Dom 0.5R*

Blouch 380XT

TD05H-20G

ATP GT28RS*

ATP GT2871R*

TD06SL2-18G

TD06SL2-20G

Limits

Shortblock: Marginal, reliability only possible on a healthy tune, expect shorter life. Note that most billet turbos have good efficiency at higher boost pressures, ie. over 18psi, which will stretch stock head bolts and lead to gasket failure. Stock rods are good for over 400whp but don't like being spun over 7k0rpm. Note that it doesn't take more than a couple of knock events at these power levels to destroy the ring lands on the stock pistons.

Clutch: All models require a clutch upgrade at this point, but disk-type WRX clutches with streetable spring pressures are fine. 6MT cars with stock clutches will be fine.

Intake: Stock MAF tube close to being maxed out. Consider aftermarket intake / big MAF etc.

Intercooler: Stock TMIC is well past its choke point now and would be a serious restriction. Aftermarket TMIC is minimum requirement and FMIC will be of benefit.

Injectors: Recommend 740cc or larger.

Pump: Aftermarket pump mandatory.

EGBP turbine: TD05H-20G will be held back by the small turbine. 18G compressor can use TD05H turbine for quicker spool or TD06SL2 turbine for better top-end. Recommend 8cm2 housing at minimum for turbos in this class running on gasoline.

EGBP exhaust: High-flow catted or catless downpipe mandatory. Headers may not be necessary on the smaller TD05H-18G setup but will add solid gains, at the expense of slightly slower spool / response. Catback exhaust also helpful at this point.

Other: Some stock BPVs may leak at these pressures. 3-port EBCS will add control authority and help smooth boost response. Stage III tune required at this point, pro-tune, dyno-tune or e-tune, with injector and / or MAF scaling to do they all cost $ unless you have the chops.

Notes:

* Stock-location STi fitment turbo, doesn’t fit the stock TMIC, the typical AVO / Perrin aftermarket TMICs or straight bolt-on FMIC kits. Check fitment.

Edited by fahr_side
moar info
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Scenario 4: Time to go built shortblock?

Airflow range: 320 ~ 360g/s (44 ~ 49lb/min) (627 ~ 700cfm)

Typical power outputs: 340 ~ 400whp

This is the typical range for EJ255s with the following turbos, listed roughly in order of potential:

Blouch 440XT

MD321T*

Blouch Dom 1.0XT

Blouch Dom 1.5XT

EFR6758**

ATP GT3071R*

ATP GT3076R*

GTX3071R**

GTX3076R**

Limits

Shortblock: This is really well beyond what the stock pistons are going to deal with. A healthy stock bottom-end should be okay at this point but the pistons are really out of their depth. It would be very difficult to crack 400whp without exceeding 18psi boost, which is all the stock head bolts and thus gaskets will withstand. Even on a perfectly clean tune you are pushing the pistons very hard (like 100whp each) and you can expect them to fail at any time. Stock rods and rod bolts are okay to 7k0rpm but some of these turbos will leave with quite a narrow usable power band with that rev limit.

Heads: Stock ports and cams are not yet the choke point but you would gain with a TGV-delete.

Clutch: All models require a clutch upgrade at this point, but disk-type clutches with streetable spring pressures are fine.

Transmission: Subaru 5MT is a question here. Many fail, some don't. If you're careful how you drive you may get away with this. If you're the launch-control kind of driver you may break things.

Intake: Stock MAF tube critical at this point as it can read up to about 380g/s with typical scaling. While there are turbos in this size range that can fit the stock intake it's probably the time to go aftermarket intake and big MAF.

Intercooler: Most people running in this power bracket have a FMIC fitted. While it's possible to run a very good TMIC like the Process West item you will probably do better with a FMIC. Note there are very few flange outlet turbos in this size range.

Injectors: Recommend 850cc or larger.

Pump: Aftermarket pump mandatory.

EGBP turbine: MHI-based turbos need an 8cm2 housing minimum, and consider 10cm2. With the Garretts stick with the .70 A/R housings and all will be well.

EGBP exhaust: High-flow catted or catless downpipe mandatory. Headers will add solid gains on these larger turbos, and the stock manifolds would probably be a serious choke point. Catback exhaust also really needed at this point unless you want to leave significant power on the table.

Other: 3-port EBCS will add control authority and help smooth boost response. You may even consider a hybrid system with both an EBCS and MBC. Stage III tune required at this point, pro-tune, dyno-tune or e-tune, with injector and / or MAF scaling to do they all cost $ unless you have the chops. This is also the point where many people will choose to go to a rotated setup to avoid stuffing a big intake under the intake manifold, fouling the TGVs etc. There are still good choices in the stock-location sector however.

A lot of people are fitting catch cans or air-oil separators along with mods like these as blow-by can and does become an issue.

Scenario 5: I just got divorced and I want to go crazy

MD321V, Dom 1.5R, 2.0XT etc. 400 ~ 450whp range.

EFR7163**

ATP GT3576R*

ATP GT3582R*

Limits:

Shortblock: Upgrade pistons are mandatory, forged rods are too because you will not be happy having to shift at 7k0rpm when the turbo is telling you to keep going. Head studs mandatory. Larger bearing clearances advised.

Heads: Stock ports are not yet the choke point but you would gain with a TGV-delete. It's now time to consider which cams to buy because the stock ones are definitely holding top-end power down.

Clutch: Shop 6MT clutches to match your new...

Transmission: This is really 6MT territory now unless you like the sound of straight-cut gears and insist the 5MT has better ratios for drag racing.

Injectors: Just get the ID1000s, you will need them.

Pump: Available drop-in pump? Think booster pump, surge tank, parallel pump set-up etc.

Other: 3-port EBCS mandatory. You may even consider a hybrid system with both an EBCS and MBC. Stage III tune required at this point, pro-tune, dyno-tune or e-tune, with injector and / or MAF scaling to do they all cost $ unless you have the chops. This is also the point where many people will choose to go to a rotated setup to avoid stuffing a big intake under the intake manifold, fouling the TGVs etc. There are still good choices in the stock-location sector but you're being stubborn now.

Catch cans or air-oil separators are probably a must-have as blow-by can and does become an issue.

Notes:

* STi fitment turbo, doesn’t fit the stock TMIC, the typical AVO / Perrin aftermarket TMICs or straight bolt-on FMIC kits. Check fitment.

** Non-standard uppipe and discharge fittings. You will need exhaust components to match the turbo, might be available as a kit, might not. Quite likely that the turbo does not fit into the stock location and/or the intake pipe cannot be fitted under the intake manifold.

Edited by fahr_side
moar info

Mod matrix, based on text above...

modmatrix.thumb.png.9c8e00b1d6c2dd2018fe6d446931aacb.png

x = No, unnecessary, perhaps even counterproductive.

m = Maybe. Might help, might be a good investment for the future, might give negligible gains, might even hurt.

y = Yes. Will most likely be worth doing, maybe essential.

Replacement / upgrade oil line solutions. Oil lines do nothing for performance so are not included in the mod matrix. These will fit stock or usual MHI-based upgrade turbos. Individual turbo vendors may require you fit their oil line kit or specify one you must use if you want your warranty. The very popular BNR is one such MHI-based turbo builder that requires an oil line upgrade, and there are probably others. Any turbo will probably benefit from such an upgrade as the factory lines are skinny, easily kinked or clogged and have built-in restrictors. As a general rule, IHI non-ball bearing turbos will survive on stock oil lines as long as the lines and banjo filters are clean and clear. MHI turbos seem to need a bit more oil volume to succeed and may require an aftermarket oiling solution. Turbos based on Garrett ball-bearing guts usually have a restrictor built-in, or need one in the line, and have more particular requirements in general than others. Consult the vendor to be sure.

You may want to read the turbo failure wiki to see how and why the factory VF-40 and VF-46 turbos die so easily.

FP oil line. This can be ordered with an inline filter which is easier to get to than the stock banjo filter. Caution: Buy extra crush washers for this project if fitting the line to MHI turbos. I had to fit three washers under the banjo at the turbo end to avoid the fitting fouling the bearing housing. Some have needed four. A smaller number of owners report problems with the new banjo fouling the turbo inlet tube. The inline filter kit may need additional -4AN hardware to install it.

Infamous Performance oil line kit with inline filter, fireproofing etc. This is a very well thought-out kit that's been on the market now and is well-received. There's one review here, if you know of another please mention it so I can add a link.

Not quite an oil line kit, more like a filtration system revamp. Amsoil remote 2-micron filtration kits.

Edited by fahr_side
matrix reloaded
  • Like 1

Thanks Legend. I do hope you'll propose some scenarios or turbos to grow this.

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread grow. A definitive resource like this will help everyone who is wandering the forum thinking they are going to make 400hp with xxx modifications.

Jeff

Thanks. If you can pull together peak boost and timing at peak boost, those numbers could help too. Also, I wouldn't say you 'need' a catback for any turbo. I'm on the stock CBE on a BNR68 with e85, and my car is great. I know I'm leaving some on the table, but it is quick enough, and I haven't been able to find a wife-approved CBE.

If you're going to continue scenarios on the stock block and 93 up to 400, I would be interested to see where meth is required.

Thanks. If you can pull together peak boost and timing at peak boost, those numbers could help too. Also, I wouldn't say you 'need' a catback for any turbo. I'm on the stock CBE on a BNR68 with e85, and my car is great. I know I'm leaving some on the table, but it is quick enough, and I haven't been able to find a wife-approved CBE.

If you're going to continue scenarios on the stock block and 93 up to 400, I would be interested to see where meth is required.

The spt 1.5 is a quality catback, and FWIT, my wife says its a little noisy (its really not), but she's ok with it! She's sensitive to loud noises, and she deals with it just fine.

I wish you had this together when I was still asking you stupid questions and being a smartass. Thanks button

You're still a smartass, and your current questions are just kinda meh.

Semi-lazy subscribe!(thanks button)

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Thanks for your feedback. I can probably add some guidelines on what boost can be run on varying setups, but remember than more boost doesn't always equal more torque. Sometimes less boost and more timing works better. Timing figures can be quite different too, depending on intercooler efficiency and again on tuning strategy.

As to the exhaust, I try to draw the line when backpressure is costing you say 10whp or more. IMO it's illogical to spend money on more turbo and many other supporting mods to gain 20whp and then the other 10 on the table. For sure there is a point where any part on the car will become a choke point. The question is where. Also, please understand that cars running E85 don't seem as sensitive to exhaust flow as those on gas. Maybe it's lower EGT and gas volume. I haven't really looked into this.

I will add some text to explain this rationale unless you can talk me over to your position. ;)

I really don't know much about meth injection. Input on this is most welcome!

Code, LALGT... get a room! ;)

Also, please understand that cars running E85 don't seem as sensitive to exhaust flow as those on gas. Maybe it's lower EGT and gas volume. I haven't really looked into this.

With E85 you are using less air per whp produced than you would need to produce the same amount of power with gas. So one can get away with a smaller intake and comparing MAFv or MAFg/s with a gas car can't be done. However, I do believe that exhaust volume is greater.. I think that higher cylinder pressures with E85 use are able to overcome restrictive backpressures a little better than gas.

@ fahr_side: You do know that you will forever be receiving PM inquiries from noobs now that you made this thread? ;) Maybe you could encourage them all to post here rather than ask questions privately.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

With E85 you are using less air per whp produced than you would need to produce the same amount of power with gas. So one can get away with a smaller intake and comparing MAFv or MAFg/s with a gas car can't be done. However, I do believe that exhaust volume is greater.. I think that higher cylinder pressures with E85 use are able to overcome restrictive backpressures a little better than gas.

@ fahr_side: You do know that you will forever be receiving PM inquiries from noobs now that you made this thread? ;) Maybe you could encourage them all to post here rather than ask questions privately.

Hmm. Let me try to approach these facts one at a time.

Less airflow per whp. Correct. But, don't E85 people usually still push at least as much air as the guys running gasoline if not more, because they are able to run more boost. So, they end up pushing the same amount or more air but making more power out of it. Well, I guess pushing more air only happens on the bigger turbos. The smaller ones we can pretty much push to the limit of what the turbo will do on gasoline...

My understanding is that the gas produced is not as hot as if gasoline were burnt since (1) ethanol has lower calorific value than gas and (2) timing is more advanced which makes for more complete combustion before the exhaust valves open. If that's correct then the volume of gas could also be lower since Gas Law ties volume directly to temperature.

My chemistry is long-forgotten so I don't want to get into the math that would predict what the fuel / air mix decomposes into and how much of there is for both fuels. Well, it's a good discussion and you can see why I set the preconditions as being gasoline fuel eh? ;)

I may have to adopt NSFW's sig (on RR.com) and point all questions back to the board. We will see!

• 3 weeks later...