LegacyGT.com

Remote Car Start on MT

I recently went to a local car audio shop, they also do remote car starters. So I asked for a quote, $500.

Now my question is, am I better off buying the unit and doing it myself? Install level?

Any of you guys have done it? Or have the factory?

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

On newer cars they can be a bit more involved since you have to integrate with the alarm, keyless entry system, and key immobilized chip. Plus getting around the manual trans too. Depends on the price of the kit as to how much they want to install it and how savvy you think you are with doing it yourself.

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

I am certain the brand of the remote start matters too. I have heard viper has a system for the manual trans legacy but with the related adapters and modules it isn't cheap...and personally not something I would want to install myself...maybe.

Guy said he charges $300 for the remote start install, $180 because its a manual, and another $30 for a safety feature, that (needs) to sell with it, won't let the car start in gear.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

I bought the alarm from Amazon and then took it to an installer. I think total came out around the ~450-500 area about 3 years ago.

Viper? did you need the dealer to program anything or did the installer take care of everything?

Yeah, 5704. Installer took care of it all. You will lose your valet key though.

If I could do it again, I would of found a certified Viper installer though. Even though my alarm is working no problem, the installer did have to hold the car overnight because they where having some sort of issue they were trying to sort out with Viper over the phone supposedly. I think it was the first 5th gen legacy they wired so it was kind of learning experience for them.

My alarm works fine but it does have it's quirks. There's a specific sequence you have to do to enable remote start for the next time you turn on the car. Once you do the sequence, your not supposed to be able to start the car if it's not in neutral, but I can. If I do the sequence, turn the car off, move the shifter from neutral to first and click remote start, it will start and jump. I also can't use LED brake lights, even with the resistors, because the alarm starts to act funky (sometimes it will activate the remote start with the sequence, sometimes it won't). The LED brake lights will also cause what seems like almost christmas lights on my dashboard without any codes. But aside from those quirks, it's been 3 years and it's been running fine.

You know warming up cars is something you need to do for older cars, and it does nothing for the transmission. I was told repeatedly by different mechanics that for our smaller engines, it's best to drive the car within 10-15 seconds from start up and just keep it under 3k until it's warmed up or the blue temp light is off. I wouldn't just let your car sit there in idle, then drive it hard on a cold tranny.

My friend once had a Honda Civic with remote start. He had the back end off the ground and it was in first, was changing the rear brakes on it. Well...he left his keys inside and his son got a hold of it. I guess his car went forward and he went frantic, trying to figure out where his keys went and had gone inside to find his son standing there, pushing the remote start button over and over...so yeah. It drove out of the driveway, across the street and into a ditch.

My friend once had a Honda Civic with remote start. He had the back end off the ground and it was in first, was changing the rear brakes on it. Well...he left his keys inside and his son got a hold of it. I guess his car went forward and he went frantic, trying to figure out where his keys went and had gone inside to find his son standing there, pushing the remote start button over and over...so yeah. It drove out of the driveway, across the street and into a ditch.

Some people shouldn't own cars or have kids, just kidding lol. Now he knows why the first step of working on a car is always disconnect the battery cable. Lol, I always thought it was a dumb step but your friend helped me realize why it's a good practice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Archived