LegacyGT.com

Opinions stg3 on build

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My motor is finally assembled and ready to be dropped back in.

I've got a little engine bay "clean-up" to do and then will have to fab up some intercooler piping to line up with the new location of my throttle body, due to the NA manifold and 8mm phenolic spacers. AVO never got back to me about their piping kit. After that, then I'll be mounting my Radium fuel surge tank in the trunk and routing lines. After that is all said and done, I should have a running car, once again, in about two weeks. Maybe three.

Just a recap of what's been changed/added this round:

99.5mm 8.2:1cr CP pistons

balanced rotating assembly

Supertech valves; standard size; stainless intake, Inconel exhaust

Supertech springs and seats

Port and polished heads

ID2000 injectors

Large plenum 2.5i aluminum intake manifold

8mm phenolic spacers

Dual Aeromotive 340 fuel surge tank by Radium Engineering

IP&T AVCS and turbo filtered oil line kit

Mishmoto radiator, fan shroud, overflow tank, and hoses

Cobb AP for speed density with boost somewhere around 25psi

After this, I am NOT touching the motor. I am not quite sure where I will be, power-wise, but where it ends up is where it will stay for a VERY long time.

If I manage to blow up this motor, I'm done with the car and rolling it in front of a train.

My only regrets are not going rotated, and not sleeving the block and going stroked.

This thread is getting ridiculous. This has to be flat out terrible builds by the machinist/ builder, crappy tuner etc.

Who and the hell has the money to put this many built motors in their car.

There is no way this is just bad luck......

There was some stupidity on my part, too. And a lot of pushing my luck on maxxed out fueling.

If I would have stayed one 93, or even 100oct, my motor would more than likely still be healthy today.

The first two piston failures, Mahle "unofficially" admitted their ring design could use improvement. I wasn't the only build with failed Mahle pistons. Three other local builds failed exactly the same way.

And I will admit that I am, by no means, "easy" on my vehicles. My motor saw full boost and rev limit many times each day; after it's tuned, it will be treated the same.

• 4 weeks later...

They're no good at returning emails, that's all I really know. They initially tried to steer me toward DSS. After I told them I didn't want DSS, they said they could work something out with Albins, and then I never heard back from them.

That was a couple months ago, maybe longer. I have my hands full with new-house stuff now though.

Too many unhappy customers. Axles that don't fit right, that make noise, break too easily, etc. There's a thread at NASIOC with a number of grumpy (former) customers. Not just random voices from the internet either - it's Kartboy, Rallispec, Turn In Concepts, DS1...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587952

The final straw was when I stumbled on a thread from a guy who posted a pic of his stock axle next to the DSS version... The ABS ring was missing, but DSS insisted that their axle was correct and refused to do anything about it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2038512

And my fears are compounded by the fact that these would be their very first spec B axles (as of the time I talked with them... it's been about a year now). I don't want to be a guinea pig for a company that doesn't stand behind their work.

Edited by NSFW

• 1 month later...

Meh - looks like a Subaru...

j/k - looks great! Particularly like the 2.5i SOHC intake manny.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...

Quick update.

Took much longer than expected, but I got a semi-base map put on to burp the coolant and check for any leaks. Four cranks later and the motor started right up like it was stock. On ID2000's

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbFdTcDxdvI]Running after first start - YouTube[/ame]

Swapped back in my old ECU that was causing logging issues. The car now cranks and does what it supposed to do with a working ECU.

I talked to Cobb today and will be sending in the ECU and AP. They said it would only be $40 to bring the AP back to an uninstalled state. They aren't sure if they can repair the ECU if it is indeed fried.

I'm going to try to get the car to run with OpenSource for the time being. I'm just not sure how well I'll be able to get it to idle with ID2000's and 93oct.

I think some STi ROMs had minimum IPW values that were too high for idle on injectors over about 1,000cc. Not sure on LGT models. A modest donation is usually all that's needed to get such a parameter defined in a short time.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...
My god. This build has seen so many facets, I don't think your car knows what it is anymore. Awesome job, and amazing you have such patience. My wallet would have run out of "patience" long before the point your at now.

After some confusion with Cobb and being sent an AP for a Mazda, everything is back to normal and a solid speed density base tune has been completed. The car drives unbelievably awesome. Cobb's live tuning saved about 6 hours of dialing in the VE tables for speed density compared to the log, turn off car, make changes to map, flash map, log, and repeat cycle.

I would've driven it home last night, but summer tires and a sudden downpour of snow don't quite mix.