LegacyGT.com

I will pay to have someone here help me fix my car, mercer pa

I can't take it anymore. 3 engines. 3 turbos in 8 months. Car still doesn't have any top end. I know it's not a race car. But my wife's 2000 cherokee shouldn't beat it in a 60-85 roll. I just replaced the air fuel sensor, banjos are removed, I am on a stock tune. Only mod is a catless uppipe and resonator delete.

When I drive it, it takes off great. Then one once I'm going over 40ish, it doesn't accelerate like it should. It honestly take over 8 seconds to go from 60-80, I timed it when my buddy was driving on a stopwatch.

I have tried everything. And I am ready to sell the car and take a loss. It has been in the shop a total of 4.5 months out of the 9 months I owned it. I can honestly this is the biggest piece of shit car I have owned. I baby it. Premium fuel. Synthetic oil, 2500 mile intervals, did a tranny service at subaru, and never drive it like a maniac. I expect a lot more reliability then this!!

So if anyone is close to mercer pa, and has a good knowledge of these cars, name your price.

I'm about 45 mins from youngstown Ohio and 45 from pgh pa. I have taken it to 2 dealerships and they can't figure it out.

First 3 times was a garage by my house, I live in the sticks, they ha a good reputation. the last 2 times was 2 different subaru dealers. Car has been in shop total of 5 times since dec 2012. That's when I bought it. Had 47k on it, 2005. That's why I got it. Miles were so low.

Engine # 1 and turbo # 1 went boom on way home from dealer I bought car from.

brand new engine #2 went after they didn't tighten the timing chain pulley

Turbo #2 went 2 weeks after engine #2 was fixed

so now I'm on engine and turbo #3. Everything has been replace that I can think of, turbo is still shiny new, engine is clean as a whistle. New hoses on everything new alternator, new air fuel sensor, new Maf, banjos removed, I got a whole new long lock when engine was replaced. I have no idea what could be left over that would cause the issue.

if I floor it from a stop it takes off like it should. I actually hit 0-80 faster then 60-80 once car is moving. That's the issue no one can figure out.

If the work was done under warranty, the lemon law would certainly apply. If you paid a local shop to do it, as long as they can show what they did and replaced with a new oem motor, it would apply. If you replaced it with used motors, you're SOL.

Does A lemon law apply here? If so, get rid of it.

Probably not, its a used car. I thouht Lemon Law was only on new cars?

If not, have you ever had it tuned? Would likely be worth taking it to a reputable tuner to see if they can find anything odd.

if you had a datalog that would help. otherwise we're all just groping around in the dark.

^ I think this too. If the car was modded before you bought it and it was tuned you may have a tune in there designed for a non stock car. A datalog from 0-80 and from 60-80 could be telling. Log out injector ms values in addition to the norms.

First 3 times was a garage by my house, I live in the sticks, they ha a good reputation. the last 2 times was 2 different subaru dealers. Car has been in shop total of 5 times since dec 2012. That's when I bought it. Had 47k on it, 2005. That's why I got it. Miles were so low.

Engine # 1 and turbo # 1 went boom on way home from dealer I bought car from.

brand new engine #2 went after they didn't tighten the timing chain pulley

Turbo #2 went 2 weeks after engine #2 was fixed

so now I'm on engine and turbo #3. Everything has been replace that I can think of, turbo is still shiny new, engine is clean as a whistle. New hoses on everything new alternator, new air fuel sensor, new Maf, banjos removed, I got a whole new long lock when engine was replaced. I have no idea what could be left over that would cause the issue.

if I floor it from a stop it takes off like it should. I actually hit 0-80 faster then 60-80 once car is moving. That's the issue no one can figure out.

This most likely the problem,

Was there any metal shaving in the popped motors ? Shavings in the oil cooler are hard to get rid of and could've recirculated in the motor if they reused it.

The dealer re-used the oil cooler.

It's common knowledge around here. You need to replace the oil cooler when the turbo blows and takes out the engine. Then the heads need to be rebuilt and installed on a new or rebuilt short block. The oil pump should also be replaced.

I have both banjo filters removed from my engine in my wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I met up with member-code, he data logged while I drove and he found nothing. I posted the log a month or so ago on here. I'm on a stock tune, he said everything in the log looked normal.

And there are no metal shavings, I had the oil pan off

You need to check the banjo filter.

How much shaft play does the turbo have ?

was the oil cooler ever replaced along with the oil pump ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I met up with member-code, he data logged while I drove and he found nothing. I posted the log a month or so ago on here. I'm on a stock tune, he said everything in the log looked normal.

And there are no metal shavings, I had the oil pan off

I can't find your datalog, and I went through your entire other thread. You posted a LV, not a datalog. Post the log. Not that I don't trust code, but you should be having many eyes look at this, not just him.

And I have no idea what he logged, but (no offense to him) it's probably not the stuff I want you to log.

Log:

A/F Learning #1 (2-byte)** (%)

A/F Sensor #1 (2-byte)** (estimated AFR)

Boost Error* (psi)Engine Load (4-Byte)* (g/rev)

Engine Speed (rpm)

Feedback Knock Correction (1-byte)** (degrees)

Fine Learning Knock Correction (1-byte)** (degrees)

Gear (Calculated)* (position)

IAM (1-byte)** (multiplier)

Ignition Total Timing (degrees)

Intake Air Temperature (F)

Knock Sum* (count)

Manifold Relative Pressure (4-byte)* (psi relative)

Mass Airflow (g/s)

Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle (%)

Target Boost (4-byte)* (psi relative sea level)

Throttle Opening Angle (%)

Turbo Dynamics Integral (4-byte)* (absolute %)

Turbo Dynamics Proportional (4-byte)* (absolute %)

I'd move to sell the car. Not sure how you swung so many rebuilds. I'm really sorry to hear you've had this problem :(

My 1st replacement engine came with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. the turbo was a factory subaru replacement and came with a 1 year warranty. luckily all has been covered by warranty. Except the air fuel sensor.

Ok thank you. so now does anyone here have the ability to log me? I can drive an hour or so and meet whoever that can do it. I tried Moore performance but can never get thru to them. I'm about 1 hour from Erie, 1 hr to pittsburgh,30-45 to youngstown Ohio.

I can't find your datalog, and I went through your entire other thread. You posted a LV, not a datalog. Post the log. Not that I don't trust code, but you should be having many eyes look at this, not just him.

And I have no idea what he logged, but (no offense to him) it's probably not the stuff I want you to log.

Log:

A/F Learning #1 (2-byte)** (%)

A/F Sensor #1 (2-byte)** (estimated AFR)

Boost Error* (psi)Engine Load (4-Byte)* (g/rev)

Engine Speed (rpm)

Feedback Knock Correction (1-byte)** (degrees)

Fine Learning Knock Correction (1-byte)** (degrees)

Gear (Calculated)* (position)

IAM (1-byte)** (multiplier)

Ignition Total Timing (degrees)

Intake Air Temperature (F)

Knock Sum* (count)

Manifold Relative Pressure (4-byte)* (psi relative)

Mass Airflow (g/s)

Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle (%)

Target Boost (4-byte)* (psi relative sea level)

Throttle Opening Angle (%)

Turbo Dynamics Integral (4-byte)* (absolute %)

Turbo Dynamics Proportional (4-byte)* (absolute %)

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that you're still fighting this. I'll be back in Greenville this weekend if you want to get those logs for INVAR. Let me know. Saturday afternoon through Sunday morning.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

So after replacing the air fuel sensor and checking every single hose for leaks, the dealer has found the culprit-they believe my cat is clogged on the dp.

I have a feeling it could be that, my spec-v had a clogged cat and it would bog down when I accelerated hard....

now to be safe I am ordering a catless dp next friday

So after replacing the air fuel sensor and checking every single hose for leaks, the dealer has found the culprit-they believe my cat is clogged on the dp.

I have a feeling it could be that, my spec-v had a clogged cat and it would bog down when I accelerated hard....

now to be safe I am ordering a catless dp next friday

You're going to need to get a tune.

Have you had a smoke test?

As others have said, you need to replace the oil cooler when you replace the motor.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for the slow response. I don't know how I missed your earlier question. You're welcome to borrow my tactrix cable any time and I can help set you up to log/flash.

Archived