LegacyGT.com

Someone hit my car :(

Hey guys, so I was parked at the train station the other day and someone decided to hit my car and run. Basically my fender is shot and my door got dented up a bit. My question is does anyone know where I can get a fender? I had a friend who works at a shop look into it and he said he could only get the part thru Subaru. My insurance said they will fix it but it will be a 750 dollar deductible (I say forget that) I think I could get it fixed for cheaper on my own. I have a 09 2.5i swp

image.thumb.jpg.9091898c3364018c4ddfd9a5bfe9f351.jpg

The cost to fix and re-paint fender and door will greatly exceed the 750 deductible. Remember any damage, no matter how small will increase the total cost to fix it. My guess would be a couple grand to fix it back to exactly the way it was before it got hit. The insurance company will subtract the $750 deductible from whatever the total payout would be and cut you a check. Then you use that money to buy whatever part you need and fix it yourself.

i talked to the people that work there, they said they have cameras on the roof. So i had the police come out and take a report and they gave me another form to fill out so they could look into pulling the tapes. Im not so sure i will have anything resolved thru the cameras, even though i was parked right next to the building..... basically im on my own unless by some miracle they find the douche that hit my car

• Moderators
I believe that some of the panels on our cars are not just simple "take off and replace" pieces. Just be aware of that and do your research. You might not be able to grab a new body panel from a salvage yard and just bolt it on.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Let this be a lesson to you. A $750 deductable is dumb and likely "saves" you under $100 annually. Most people do dumb things like buying the bare minimul insurance and planning on not using it. I pay a little more for awesome coverage and have never regretted my car rentals, low deductable, etc, etc. Terrible that some sh!tbag FORCED that lesson on you. I hope you share it with everyone so they learn on your unfortunate luck.

Yea, you just never think that something like this would happen to you lol and from what ive read SWP is expensive! Now i park my car ALL the way in the back and away from all cars because i dont need another headache.

It's rampant here in Hawaii...although auto insurance is "mandatory" in Hawaii, there are soo many driving around without any...they will never stop if they hit a car...Half of those probably have revoked licenses or don't have that as well...it's total BS!

also, my recommendation when renting a car here and everywhere is to just pay for the additional insurance when renting...I normally don't take this, but for some reason on a day visit to Maui, I just decided to, and it was a good thing I did...I came out and someone had backed up into the rental car...with the insurance, I just dropped the car off like normally and left. Had I not purchased the insurance, it would have been a nightmare trying to contact my insurance agent and having the rental fixed. If you read the small print, if you choose to insure it yourself with your own insurance and you get into an accident, they can charge you for the downtime of rental car while it is being fixed! At least this was for the rental agency I used on maui (it was national firm though)...

Yea, you just never think that something like this would happen to you lol and from what ive read SWP is expensive! Now i park my car ALL the way in the back and away from all cars because i dont need another headache.

Yep I learned this after two bad dings... seems that our body panels are particularly easy to damage.

t

Let this be a lesson to you. A $750 deductable is dumb and likely "saves" you under $100 annually. Most people do dumb things like buying the bare minimul insurance and planning on not using it. I pay a little more for awesome coverage and have never regretted my car rentals, low deductable, etc, etc. Terrible that some sh!tbag FORCED that lesson on you. I hope you share it with everyone so they learn on your unfortunate luck.

It all depends on your risk tolerance. If you can easily self-insure for the first $500, $750, $1000 or whatever then the savings might be worth it. I've gone at least 15 years without a claim (at least not against my own policy). In your scenario, going from $750 to $250 would take only 5 years to break even if you saved $100/year... and, of course, as long as you were disciplined enough to save the delta.

Back to your example, 3 vehicles x $100 x 15 years = $4500.

Lastly, depending upon the state, UIM (UMPD) coverage would cover your deductible for a hit-and-run type of event.

First, you drive an outback. Its not surprise you have not had a claim in years.

Second, I an in Los Angeles, not only will you have a claim on average every 18 months, YOU DAMN WELL BETTER HAVE YOUR UNINSURED MOTORIST MAXED OUT. Few drivers go 15 years without a claim, a $1000 deductable for a return on $1500 is hardly worth it when you have the bad feeling of footing $1000 in one chunk. $500 maybe but that is pretty industry standard and the insurance price doesnt drop much from $500 to $750 or $1000 but it does go up quite a bit as it goes down.

Where is GotFlat4love when I need him (insurance sales). Moral? Hard to be overinsured unless it breaks the bank. Really easy to be underinsured.

Talk to your ins company. I bet if you drop it to $500 the delta wont be much. Lower than $500 tends to start getting expensive as the liklihood of smaller claims becomes greater.

Mine is $500 because it was cheaper for me to add rental, max my uninsured and liabilities all the way than it was to drop to $250. Wierd, but cool and worth it to me.

When choosing your policy, always get the highest coverage and lowest deductibles you can comfortably afford. It makes no sense to have a deductible so high that if you need to use it you can't afford it.

And fritzfab, that $750 will come and go real fast. Have your adjuster write you an estimate so you can have an idea of what the total cost will be.

Also, there are some shops that actually help with deductibles. It is worth checking around and getting a few quotes and asking about it.

(I worked for Enterprise for a few years, and knew a bunch of shops b/c of it. THere are a few in the Portland area that I would have recommended that would help take care of the deductible, but unfortunately, you are very very far away.)

I got hit & run on several weeks back. I started a thread on it... anyway, caught the twat on video & ID'd her with the help of the bar staff. Adjuster came by yesterday. Happy ending in my case. I'd be pissed if it hadn't worked out in my favor, though. Lack of accountability is everything that's wrong with this country. Best of luck...
Tits mcgee

x2 I pay more monthly but dang do I have incredible coverages. I literally would have a Ferrari covered with my limits.

and I used my $500 deductible for a $4000 body shop visit. Also have large accident forgiveness. So I got a new front end for $500.

Love Progressive.

Now back to OP...

Good insurance is important! I bought my previous car new and when I was 18, so my insurance was upwards of $3300/yr. even maxed out on good student discounts, safe location, etc. I had a $500 deductible. A tree fell on it while I was driving and caused upwards of $6000 in damages (nothing structural) and was covered under my comprehensive insurance. I did have to pay the deductible on it. My insurance has gone down significantly since I turned 22 though. Have good insurance!

I hate to thread jack, but can someone explain what you're saying about low deductibles not saving money?

http://www.dmv.org/insurance/who-needs-low-auto-insurance-deductibles.php

Most of the time your auto insurance will cover repair costs of the vehicle, but not any "loss of use" or some other fees. Many times your credit card company will cover these, but YMMV. I get my insurance and do banking with the same company, so if I rent a car through my "bank," pay for it with my bank credit card, and have insurance through my "bank," I'm covered.

Archived