LegacyGT.com

It was a blast. Time to save for a shortblock

Well,

I swapped the injectors, (finally) installed new turbo inlet hose, Replaced the intake manifold - tgv gaskets, tightened every vac line, replaced 02 sensors and i still couldn't find what was causing the idle misfire.

Compression & leak down test confirms cyl 4 has internal issues. Time to start saving (thankfully it's not my daily).

damn that sucks man ...

i just went through a misfire on cyl 3 .. i changed the plugs, pack on 3 and finally did my injector and she running great so far .. no miss that i can hear . and i scanned her and nothing ..

i had a compression test and leak test done and it all came back good so the injector was my last thing .

besides using 2 cans of brake cleaner to check for leaks .. and came back good

Sounds like a bent valve. Ive had cars at work misfire at idle but smooth out when revving or driving. The valve stems are so thin that they actually had some flex in them. When I did the leak down, the stem would bend shut and I couldn't determine they were bent without removing them from the head.

I'm betting burnt valves in #4. Fairly common for cars on the factory MAP.

OP does the engine use oil ?

If no, you may be fine just having the heads rebuilt. The engine still has to come out, is there anything else that needs replacing while its out like a clutch, FW, up pipe?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm betting burnt valves in #4. Fairly common for cars on the factory MAP.

OP does the engine use oil ?

If no, you may be fine just having the heads rebuilt. The engine still has to come out, is there anything else that needs replacing while its out like a clutch, FW, up pipe?

It uses a significant amount of engine oil. Clutch and lwfw are like 40k old. Need to do the center diff bearings. I've been tuned for about 50k as well.

Just going to continue saving and go through the car completely next spring. Many miles of me driving it like I stole it has worn everything out.

It uses a significant amount of engine oil. Clutch and lwfw are like 40k old. Need to do the center diff bearings. I've been tuned for about 50k as well.

Just going to continue saving and go through the car completely next spring. Many miles of me driving it like I stole it has worn everything out.

Like, how much oil does it use?

And who tuned the car? just wondering..

Shamar @ infamous did my tune.

It uses almost it's capacity in oil every oil change. (I knew this day was coming and i'd have to rebuild at some point). I let the issue slide.

So it's like a quart every 1k then. When did it start using that much oil?

Hmm.. over a year ago (it hasn't been a daily driver in over a year. I've put maybe 7k miles on it over the last year.) It always used oil from day 1 when i got it used. It just started using more and more oil over time. At this point when i went to take it for a ride i'd check the oil, top up and go. I've never really kept track of it's oil consumption other then making sure it was always topped up.

Similar story here as far as oil consumption goes. May be it's RI thing? Mine always used oil since I got it with 9K mileage, consumption went a little higher after I went Stage 2 (BNR16 & Shamar's tune). My only issue with idling was resolved with timing belt change at ~100K. I am at 140K now.

Time to check the compression on cylinders for me.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Wow. Well, you can save yourself some additional money if you don't beat the piss out of it anymore until you pull the motor, because you may be able to re-use or sell some of the parts (mainly thinking cases, crank, and heads here).... and if something really bad happened you can lose the turbo too, obviously.

Did you try the ole' compression test oil trick? put a dab of oil in the low compression cylinder and repeat the compression test. If it goes up, it generally points to the jug, ring, bore..... if not, it's likely valves.

It's not that bad. my 3.0R rides/handles better then my LGT. Where it's not as fast, or nice sounding, or manual, or turbo..... It's not bad at all on a spirited drive.

It will hold me over until I can swing some neat car parts ;)

• Moderators

iv_05gt, you're doing this ALL sorts of right. I hope I'm in a similar situation if I ever have to do any motor work. Instead of a second car, I'm just hoping to have a built shortblock on the shelf for when/if something happens (picking up a donor block in a couple weekends :)).

Look forward to a build thread!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

How much were you using before and after the tune?

On average I'd say 1/2qt before the tune and 3/4qt after. Now, I got the turbo swapped as well at the same time I got the tune, and new turbo oil lines *without* the filter.

The oil consumption is not constant, it's very low if I stay off the boost and do not ride fast for long periods of time. In this scenario I can go through 3,75K OCI with ~ 1/2qt loss or less. If I do lots of WOTs though then it gets much worse.

Obviously with Stage II tune there are lot more WOTs and fast rides for long distances(in the summer I travel up and down NE coast a lot).

It's not that bad. my 3.0R rides/handles better then my LGT. Where it's not as fast, or nice sounding, or manual, or turbo..... It's not bad at all on a spirited drive.

It will hold me over until I can swing some neat car parts ;)

Good luck. PM me if you need any tools/etc in a hurry or on weekend, I am in Richmond/Exeter border area, off RT 102.

I'll have my son's OB as a reserve car once he departs to college :)

Really?

My '09 3.0R Limited has the the Bilstein suspension w/ Aluminum parts just like the SpecB with stock 18's and 45k miles.

My '05 2.5GT Limited has basic suspension, everything is warn out with aftermarket 18's w/ almost bald tires and 146k miles.

Yup it handles better.

Sub Op. I used to work as a tech @ speedcraft VW so i've got a lot of things. But i just might hit you up for a hand!

My '09 3.0R Limited has the the Bilstein suspension w/ Aluminum parts just like the SpecB with stock 18's and 45k miles.

My '05 2.5GT Limited has basic suspension, everything is warn out with aftermarket 18's w/ almost bald tires and 146k miles.

Yup it handles better.

Sub Op. I used to work as a tech @ speedcraft VW so i've got a lot of things. But i just might hit you up for a hand!

Makes sense now. I did not know the 3.0R had the SpecB suspension parts.

Having another vehicle is nice. My ho-hum 94 does well, especially since its a wagon so I can carry a bunch of stuff in it when needed. It is sure nice to have parts around ready for a rebuild though, I've gone through this several times with several toys. Right now since an 06 LGT is still without a mounted motor, anytime I want to dial up some boost I get in the F-250 and hammer it - 20psi on that thing makes it seem like the end of days is about to happen... but fun and LOUD!

Archived