LegacyGT.com

Bilstein Front Strut Question- Top hats

GTLEGACY007

Ok so as you may be able to tell by my several threads, i'm midway through installing some Bilsteins on my car. The used Bilsteins I got have the Spec B tophats on them, but there is nothing between the tophat and the spring. Can I use my stock, GT spring perch here, or should I be using a spec b-specific spring perch? I assume I can use the perch I have? Should I swap over everything from the stock strut between spring and tophat?

did the prior owner have them installed without upper spring seats? I'm pretty sure that would be a really bad idea and it would damage the tophat.

As far as using the stock GT perch goes, I'm not sure what to tell you. I used the spec b perches without the cone washer. The bilstiens do not normally use the cone washer, but if you are mixing parts that aren't meant to be used together I'm not sure what to tell you.

They have different part numbers and cost less than $10 each. I ordered a set of the spec-b spring perches for my install just to play it safe.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I used the stock GT spring perch, after looking through several pictures on here of people with Bilstein set-ups. I can't tell the difference. The only thing I imagine may be different is the washer in between the tophat and the spring perch. But both appeared to be the same size, although i'm not sure the stock perch used the conical washer. Either way, when assembled it felt solid, the spring sat perfectly, it was not lose at all, and the tophat spun freely.

• 1 month later...
did the prior owner have them installed without upper spring seats? I'm pretty sure that would be a really bad idea and it would damage the tophat.

As far as using the stock GT perch goes, I'm not sure what to tell you. I used the spec b perches without the cone washer. The bilstiens do not normally use the cone washer, but if you are mixing parts that aren't meant to be used together I'm not sure what to tell you.

Bringing this thread back, as I'm thinking I might have an issue here. I've been having some noise coming from my springs, see thread here: (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/creaking-popping-during-turns-145574.html?p=3095303#post3095303) both on the stock setup and Bilstein HDs. The only part which I had swapped over from setups parts was the spring perch, so i'm thinking this might be the issue.

Two questions:

1. Should I replace my spring perches with Spec B perches?

2. Should I have placed the conical washer between the tophat and spring perch? (I did, and it's still on there now)

Help appreciated.

Can you upload a picture of the GT spring perches for comparison?

Here's a pic of the specB upper spring perch:

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt4/BradyCat/01a1.jpg

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

I don't have a pic of my spring perch specifically, but it looks identical to that one to my eyes. They do have different part numbers, so i'm wondering if there's some subtle difference. Also, when installing my struts/springs, I noticed the rubber portion on the bottom of the perch was easily able to move in and out of the perch. Is this piece supposed to be very secure in the perch?

I don't have a pic of my spring perch specifically, but it looks identical to that one to my eyes. They do have different part numbers, so i'm wondering if there's some subtle difference. Also, when installing my struts/springs, I noticed the rubber portion on the bottom of the perch was easily able to move in and out of the perch. Is this piece supposed to be very secure in the perch?

I thought that piece was mated to the metal part fairly securely. Most likely the rubber piece came out at some point - probably on purpose - and now it doesn't stay attached as well, maybe there was a dab of glue on it to keep it secure or something... not too sure

moncur_6 I hope I don't hijack this person's thread but is this upgrade completely worth it? I have heard mixed reviews but I'm totally considering it.

Most reviews are very positive when GT owners upgrade to Bilsteins. I personally say that the stock SpecB Bilsteins are a perfect comprimise between the GT's and Bilstein HD's, but are much pricier than the HD's

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

I thought that piece was mated to the metal part fairly securely. Most likely the rubber piece came out at some point - probably on purpose - and now it doesn't stay attached as well, maybe there was a dab of glue on it to keep it secure or something... not too sure

I'm thinking the piece is supposed to be secure in the housing, but i'm not 100% on it. I ordered replacement perches (the Spec B part #) for both sides as they're cheap anyways, so i'll at least be able to eliminate them, if in fact it's not the cause of the noise.

Two questions:

1. Should I replace my spring perches with Spec B perches?

2. Should I have placed the conical washer between the tophat and spring perch? (I did, and it's still on there now)

Help appreciated.

I'm running the stock GT spring seats with no washers. I have zero noise coming from the front at this point. (Bilstein HDs with Swifts)

By the way, you're running the Ralliteks now, correct? How is the ride quality compared to the RS*Rs so far?

The "ride" of both springs to me seem almost identical and very similar to stock. However, the rallitek don't drop the car nearly as much, so the look is much different, and they don't ever bottom out the bilsteins, which the rsrs did from time to time.

As far as the noise goes, I'm thinking and hoping its spring twist. I've ordered the spec b part number spring perches, but I also want to put some isolator on the front springs. Anyone wrap their springs to prevent them from twisting ? What did you use ?

Can you expand on the "rubber between the spring and where it sits" ? Did he just get a piece of rubber tubing and wrap the spring in it? I know they make polyurethane "isolators" for springs which go on the bottom coil, but i'm not aware of any which are made for the Rallitek springs I have. I assume rubber tubing would work just as well anyways?

Yes, basically just rubber tubing...a little ghetto but he said it worked! :lol:

My Progress springs make some noise over bumps and whatnot, but it never really bothered me enough to do anything about it. With the exhaust, heavy clutch and short ram my car makes lots of noises...

I thought the BilsteinHDs were replacements for the OEM specB Bilsteins?

nope, the HD's are different than the OEM SpecB Bilsteins. The damper valving is 'more aggressive' . Most people 'upgrade' to HD's to a) replace their (KYB) GT Struts/shocks or b) replace the OEM SpecB Bilsteins once they're worn out because the HD's are half the price. Personally I don't think they are an upgrade at all over the stockers, unless you want something really, really sporty. Personally, they're too stiff for me.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

I'm definitely considering the HD's after my stockers wear out.

Brady, what springs are you using with the HD's? I don't want really rough, but with my Progress Springs and stock struts it's pretty rough right now. Not unbearable, but much worse and....I dunno

Archived