LegacyGT.com

Sacramento Area Legacy GT tuners?

RippinRoo

Anybody have good / bad experiences with tuners that are in the Sacramento area and have some familiarity with Subaru's in general and maybe even Legacy GTs in particular? I see that S-Squared Motorsports (within Sacramento itself) and Equilibrium Tuning (in Davis) both have ProTUNER software... has anyone had experience with these guys, and is there anyone else in the area?

Thanks very much!

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, s square is out of buisness/or not doing it anymore, and the other guys et are still around i guess. i have heard pretty mixed reviews about both, but mainly bad rather then good experiences with their tuning and service.

Yeah, the S-Squared business partners split ways, and the shop isn't doing performance stuff anymore (but if you need any repairs, that side of the shop is still open).

Gruppe-S is in Hayward, a bit of a drive from Sac (and even farther from Reno), but they'll do you right. EQ has some pretty good maps out there, with a lot of fans. A Sac guy ended up buying the S-Squared dyno when the performance stuff closed, and is getting a shop up and running. He's has years of experience with Subarus (just not ECU tuning) and tuning/working old Saab turbo's and stuff like that. He's a smart guy and I am sure he'll be up to speed in a few months.

Thanks guys! :)

Hayward isn't *too* far away, though it definitely would be an "all day" thing. Wow! nKoan, you go there all the way from Reno?? :icon_eek: That tells me a lot right there!! :D

Definitely appreciate the feedback!

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I just moved to Sac (well, Carmichael actually) last month. So it's time for me to unsub from the New Mexico threads and start checking you guys out.

Anyway, Maita Subaru is an authorized Prodrive dealer. I wasn't too happy about how the guy there was putting down Cobb Tuning, though.

Also, Autowest Subaru will accept Subaru Bucks for body work and stuff (Maita doesn't).

Well, I just wanted to make my presence known. I'm sure that I'm the only red LGT wagon with an NM license plate in the area right now. Going to the DMV on Friday for registration, though. Also, I love beer and the new season of 24. PM if interested in coming over for beers and 24 in HD.

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

• 3 years later...
yep, Paul is the man :cool:

+10

the LGT sti swap he did is gorgeous, Cale is a luck man. he also did my roommates 2.5rs STI swap and has had some crazy stuff on his dyno (Ferrari's? wtf).

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

there's a good tuner in santa rosa named miles that works at fine line imports, he personally owns an o6 gt wagon and has thoroughly went through the ecu and is very familiar with it... I live in reno and its worth the 240 mi. to see him

Miles at FLI is a good guy, just watch your anus around Ryan :lol:

also who did the sti swap?was it dbtuned?

what would a swap run total?

paul did Cale's (UN: lgtsti) STI swap, and completed my roomates RS swap

cost for the RS?: $ lots. so far:

Built 2.0 liter from paul@db (w/ extra sexies)

07 Spec.B trans w/ LSD (50/50 split) and STI 3rd/4rth

vf39

STI intake mani

STI top mount w/ y pipe

STI pinks

walbro fuel pump

04wrx ECU (iirc)

Perrin UP

Perrin DP

huge fart can

Whiteline sways, endlinks

forget the struts/springs

random other crap that i forget, JDM sti seats, etc etc.

on a conservative tune from paul its 270whp 280wtq, and theres still water meth waiting to go in.

paul can tell you the rest of the details

paul did Cale's (UN: lgtsti) STI swap, and completed my roomates RS swap

cost for the RS?: $ lots. so far:

Built 2.0 liter from paul@db (w/ extra sexies)

07 Spec.B trans w/ LSD (50/50 split) and STI 3rd/4rth

vf39

STI intake mani

STI top mount w/ y pipe

STI pinks

walbro fuel pump

04wrx ECU (iirc)

Perrin UP

Perrin DP

huge fart can

Whiteline sways, endlinks

forget the struts/springs

random other crap that i forget, JDM sti seats, etc etc.

on a conservative tune from paul its 270whp 280wtq, and theres still water meth waiting to go in.

paul can tell you the rest of the details

How on earth could that pass CA emissions and inspection? Bribery?

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

How on earth could that pass CA emissions and inspection? Bribery?

nope, its stickered. swap was done with OE parts, stickered, then aftermarket stuff was done.

original swap / wiring was done down at LIC in novato iirc and thats when it was stickered.

also, the tranny is the real gem in that car 3rd gear will wrap the poor little RS speedometer and 6th gear cruise at 75 gets him about 35mpg.... but id say he averages closer to 17mpg :lol:

nope, its stickered. swap was done with OE parts, stickered, then aftermarket stuff was done.

original swap / wiring was done down at LIC in novato iirc and thats when it was stickered.

Hmm..gonna have to learn that whole "sticker" thing. From what I've been told, there is no way to pass inspection with an aftermarket DP on the scoobie if it doesn't have the two cats. It's gonna cost me ~$200 to smog my leggy every other year, because I'll have to swap the DP prior to inspection.

He got the sticker prior to the aftermarket mods

So the sticker makes him completely exempt from inspection? How the heck do you go about getting one of those?

Archived