LegacyGT.com

Stage 2: Are you running a Cooler Y or N ???

Stage 2 5EAT: Are you running a Transmission Cooler?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Stage 2 5EAT: Are you running a Transmission Cooler?

• YES
    • NO
    • Will Be Soon

Calling all 5EAT cars: I need a count of all fellow 5EATers who are stage 2 or above who are running an external Transmission cooler. How long did you wait before you installed one if not immediately? I have been Stage 2 for a little over a month now with only 235awhp, but with an impressive 299awtq and would like to know what everyone else is doing to help speed up my decision to get one now or to wait until later (suspension is in need of an overhaul ASAP).

Thanks in Advance!

How aggressively do you drive? I've been stage 2 for 2200 mile snow no issue, just started screwing boost into the new block in the last 1000 miles though. I think it's a great safeguard against heating the clutches and fluid, but not an instant requirement for a daily. I plan on doing it, eventually... when my stock radiator blows up.

Also, keep in mind there's a proper way to run a cooler, and a million improper ways. The stock cooler is a fluid-fluid cooler, so it not only cools, but also heats the fluid. An aftermarket air-fluid cooler will be much more efficient at cooling, but sometimes can cool to well. A lot of people running huge trans coolers without thermostats had issues with it being TOO cool in the winter months. Do a lot of research into what size cooler you get, and get a thermostat as well. I believe CilmberD has a well thought out thread on coolers.

IMO, do the suspension first. You can't safely play racecar hard enough to need a trans cooler if you're flopping all over the road :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

[quote name=IMO' date=' do the suspension first. You can't safely play racecar hard enough to need a trans cooler if you're flopping all over the road :)[/quote]

^Awesome last line there!! I don't drive it hard all the time but I'm certainly not nice to it. I'm not gonna lie, there have been a few "fun runs" that I have felt pretty guilty about. I'm also guilty of downshifting the 5EAT into gear 3 and then screaming past people when they are Sunday driving on a 2 lane highway! I don't ever launch from a standstill either. Call me crazy but I feel like my car is faster WITHOUT any mild brake boosting. Ive only tried it 2 or 3 times, as I don't want to grenade my center diff.

Just be mindful of things, that's all. You can't flog it at an auto-x event all day, but screaming past people on the highway won't be issue. Most aggressive daily driving is short bursts, so the trans has time to cool down between rips. As for brake boosting, you just weren't doing it right! I brake boosted to 3100rpm once, it leaped off the line like a bat outta hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Stage 2 (making just about what you are for power/torque) for almost 15K miles now with no cooler & no issues....

But the wife drove the car as DD more than me until the past month - and she drives much more calmly....

But I agree it's not a must have (probably helps in the long run though) - suspension should be first.

cooler installed since stage 2, currently stage 3+ with cooler and tstat plumbed as per climberD. also have ClimberD valvebody= sexxx!

You get that XTR installed yet?

Brake boosting from 3100 RPM seems like a suicide mission for the 5EAT. I'm too chicken to try it.....maybe some day.

I've tried ~2,800 - and it was quite the shock - But I won't do it again - Fear of the Center Diff Bearings exploding out of the case more so than the Transmission itself:p

For those interested:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-center-diffrential-bulletproofing-122946.html

HexMods also sells Diff Bushings which is probably a good idea while you're in there.:wub:

EDIT: To get us back on track (Somewhat...)

How to Plumb a Transmission Cooler by HexMods

I've tried ~2,800 - and it was quite the shock - But I won't do it again - Fear of the Center Diff Bearings exploding out of the case more so than the Transmission itself:p

For those interested:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-center-diffrential-bulletproofing-122946.html

HexMods also sells Diff Bushings which is probably a good idea while you're in there.:wub:

EDIT: To get us back on track (Somewhat...)

How to Plumb a Transmission Cooler by HexMods

Thanks for these Very useful links. Especially that last one. I've done quite a bit of searching and never stumbled on that one.

no.

i dont brake torque either. have only launched it a few times. maybe 5 or 6 for access port testing. when i did launch i jabbed the throttle and released the brake at a certain rpm.

ive NEVER held it down for any period of time to launch.

been running 16psi and up for 7 years or so.

Xtr arrived Friday, work schedule and my private client schedule is rough at moment aiming for turbo install before end of month.

It's rough staring at a blouch box, a box with full fuel system and new headers, and my car frowning outside. I wish days were longer, or if I had a garage and

Not a condo parking lot.

Once installed reviews, pics and dyno vid will be available.

Xtr arrived Friday, work schedule and my private client schedule is rough at moment aiming for turbo install before end of month.

It's rough staring at a blouch box, a box with full fuel system and new headers, and my car frowning outside. I wish days were longer, or if I had a garage and

Not a condo parking lot.

Once installed reviews, pics and dyno vid will be available.

Let me go off topic for one more post to say that I'm very interested in seeing those results. Ive been following your posts closely lately because it seems that my build path is following in your footsteps before you decided to ditch your 16G for the XTR. My next upgrade will be a VF 52, but who knows how long that will last once I get used to it. I want it because I do a lot of city driving and don't want to give up quick spool. I'll close by saying that I wish I shared your problem of expensive items in my apartment waiting to be installed, but my spot is empty with no boxes!:lol:

I have a Hayden on mine and have for about 3 years now. I built custom brackets to mount it on the core support so it has about 1" between the cooler and the A/C condenser. I also have Mishimoto radiator so it has no internal cooler, so I'm running only the Hayden and just bought a transmission temperature gauge to put on it hopefully this weekend.

I've not had a single problem (knocking on my wooden head with fist) since I installed the cooler. I custom made aluminum hard lines and used short pieces of hose as nipples so it looks like an OE installation. I can probably shoot a couple of photos if you want to see it.

I have a Hayden on mine and have for about 3 years now. I built custom brackets to mount it on the core support so it has about 1" between the cooler and the A/C condenser. I also have Mishimoto radiator so it has no internal cooler, so I'm running only the Hayden and just bought a transmission temperature gauge to put on it hopefully this weekend.

I've not had a single problem (knocking on my wooden head with fist) since I installed the cooler. I custom made aluminum hard lines and used short pieces of hose as nipples so it looks like an OE installation. I can probably shoot a couple of photos if you want to see it.

Absolutely! I would greatly appreciate it if you would share your photos.

Having seen JMP's cooler setup up close, it's definitely something I'll be trying to copy detail for detail when I upgrade radiators.

He's a very precise man that pays just as much attention to detail on his projects as an OEM part receives. His engine bay is a prime example of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived