LegacyGT.com

Bought a LGT and as luck would have it i got a CEL...

So monday night i bought a 05 Legacy gt limited with 180,000. Car was very clean, everything ran good, i had looked at it over the weekend and test drove it and everything was smooth, car looked like a great buy for $5300.

Well as luck would have it, after taking delivery within 20 miles of dirving i got a cel, P0302, misfire cylinder 2. I did a search and found a few possible suggestions for the cause. This morning i swapped out the injector, but no luck there. Tonight or tomorrow i'm going to replace the plug and coil pack.

Car still runs fine, just shakes a little bit at idle. Also, twice now (of about 10-12) i've have to crank it for a while before it starts up...which sounds like it may also be a fuel/spark problem?...the rest of the time it starts up quick.

Any other suggestions?

I'd also like to mention i'm not at all detured by my purchase, i've owned turbo subaru's in the past and i plan to build this motor in the future, and do a 6spd or dogbone swap, but i was hoping to use it as a winter daily for this year first.

thanks

Suggestion: You paid $5300 for a 4th G LGT. Its not only not going to be perfect, but was a great deal! The seller cleared the codes and handed it over to you. They were aware. It did not "just pop" for the first time.

i checked the obd2 with my code reader before buying the car for any pending codes, and there were none, i really don't think that was the case.

I'm not asking for a perfect LGT for 5300 lol, i wouldn't expect one. I bought the car for the longblock. It's a car i am going to build in the near future

My car had the same check engine code as you. I cleared it and it seemed to run fine. Then after 2 or 3 weeks, it came back. I had it checked and the injector on cylinder 2 was clogged. I had it replaced and the code came back in 25-30 miles. Then I had a compression test and it was found the valves on cylinder 2 were burnt/warped. It seems that the injector was still working but was not spraying enough fuel to cool the cylinder. This overheated the valves.

Your problem can also be the spark plug or coil pack. These are much cheaper fixes than new valves.

i checked the obd2 with my code reader before buying the car for any pending codes, and there were none, i really don't think that was the case.

I'm not asking for a perfect LGT for 5300 lol, i wouldn't expect one. I bought the car for the longblock. It's a car i am going to build in the near future

Id think about building that longblock sooner than later!

did a compression test and cylinder #2 is done, which i almost have trouble believing because the car runs and drive just fine. I'm really on the fence as to what i want to do with it right now. Either going to build the motor/sell the car for what i have into it/ or part it out. Decissions decissions

You've owned the car for less than a week. Return the car and get your money back.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So this douchebag erased the CEL, palmed a car with a dead cylinder off on you for cash, and you're going to let him get away with that?

I've got some awesome land in Florida for a really good price if you pay cash...

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Moderators
So this douchebag erased the CEL, palmed a car with a dead cylinder off on you for cash, and you're going to let him get away with that?

I've got some awesome land in Florida for a really good price if you pay cash...

I'm interested...

:lol:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thoughts?

Even if it is just one burnt valve that's causing your compression loss, think about this.

The motor has to come out to get the head off.

If one valve is bad, others may on the way there, so it makes sense to pull the other head for inspection.

It would be colossally stupid to pull the motor and not replace the water pump, timing belt and tensioner, unless those were done very recently.

Your shortblock has 180,000 miles on it, and a brand new one is <$2k...

You see where I'm going with this?

Shop for a low-mile longblock from a crashed LGT/WRX/FXT, or buy a new factory shortblock, new ancillaries, have your heads freshened up, rebuild.

When you're done, drive on down and look at the land I have just for you. ;)

Archived