LegacyGT.com

Blown 05 legacy engine. Help on ideas to fix it.

Hi I'm a noob and I was wondering what would be better for me money wise and availability. I currently have a 2005 legacy gt automatic with a blown motor. I was wondering what to do whether to just try to find another legacy gt motor or swap in a sti. Also would it be possible to switch from an automatic to manual with a sti engine. Thanks.

You should run a search.... but being that you are new here, I'll suggest you find a used engine from a junkyard and drop it in. Then, rebuild your old one over time. You could also dissasemble your current one and find out what is wrong with it. Used short blocks can be had for around $600. Swap the heads over... Do not use STI engine.

Auto to Manual swap is not easy. Search this topic as well.

Shaun

New OEM ej257 is $1800.

google, "got some new stuff for engine R&R" you'll get my thread.

That will give you the idea of what you need to do.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You should run a search.... but being that you are new here, I'll suggest you find a used engine from a junkyard and drop it in. Then, rebuild your old one over time. You could also dissasemble your current one and find out what is wrong with it. Used short blocks can be had for around $600. Swap the heads over... Do not use STI engine.

Auto to Manual swap is not easy. Search this topic as well.

Shaun

and why should he not use the STI engine!? I would suggest buying a new short block if you can afford the down time. Get your heads rebuilt and put on the short block and call it a day. If you need a quick turnaround find a used motor from a reputable place and swap that in and start saving for either a rebuild on the blown or for a new shortblock.

^ When mine blew I looked for used motors and I figured out it was more cost effective to get a new ej257, plus my shop did then rebuild in less than a week.

Which to me was faster and better than getting an used engine from who knows were, in who know what kind of condition it is, and on top of that waiting on shipping.

To me, that was to many uncertain and unknown variables and I opt for something more reliable and done right, the first time.

the engine in a legacy is the same as a sti engine .

if you get a sti engine either without avcs or with dual you will have endless electrical problems

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I'm not really sure what happened to the engine because a series of events. The turbo blew out and I took it to a small dealer and he blew another turbo in it. Said he checked the oil and thought it was coming too little for the turbo so he drilled it bigger. Got the car back for about a month and then the engine blew while i was out of town. The subuaru dealer that I sent to look at it said that it was oil starved and not much else. Also I wasn't the one driving the car when the engine blew so I'm not sure if my girlfriend's sister was over revving it since its a auto with that transmanual or what actually happened when it was dying.

You need a new OEM ej257, the heads need to be rebuilt, that way they will clean them and there will be no metal chips leftover. Hopefully your cams are ok.

You need new oil cooler, turbo, oil pump, gates timing belt kit, have the oil pan cleaned, remove both banjo filters or replace them. I have both removed.

Hopefully that is all you need.

See my thread, got some new stuff for engine R&R, if you want to see what I did.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106p7.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

and why should he not use the STI engine!? I would suggest buying a new short block if you can afford the down time. Get your heads rebuilt and put on the short block and call it a day. If you need a quick turnaround find a used motor from a reputable place and swap that in and start saving for either a rebuild on the blown or for a new shortblock.

An STI ENGINE will have different heads (depending on the year) thus Dual AVCS, which will require engine harness and computer. STI SHORT BLOCK is virtually the same as EJ255. In addition, questions regarding swapping to manual transmission, in the same thread, indicates to me that tho OP might not know the differences between engines. The Quickest way out is to swap out engines and have a spare to tear down and build.

Shaun

You need a new OEM ej257, the heads need to be rebuilt, that way they will clean them and there will be no metal chips leftover. Hopefully your cams are ok.

You need new oil cooler, turbo, oil pump, gates timing belt kit, have the oil pan cleaned, remove both banjo filters or replace them. I have both removed.

Hopefully that is all you need.

See my thread, got some new stuff for engine R&R, if you want to see what I did.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106p7.html

^ This is what I did. Except my heads were good since I immediately stopped stopped trying to run the car when I heard noises in my engine. Rebuilding it would give a better piece of mine but it can easily cost 5K-6k or more depending on it you need another turbo then you add that cost.

Plus I would recommend you changing out every fluid in the car while your at it: diff oil, tranny oil, brake oil, etc.

WAIT?! Isn't there any way, guys that he can pin this on the dealer??

Archived