LegacyGT.com

Cold Weather oddities and observations - '05 LGT

So winter has arrived a bit earlier than usual here in Cincinnati. Yay... :spin:My second winter with the LGT.

For reference, it was 16°F this morning. ~400ft elevation

I made a few observations on the drive into work. My clutch makes an odd clunk sound when engaged on every shift until warmed up, nomatter how lightly I engage it. Almost sounds like a ball ping hammer on the floorboard. Any ideas? Subaru dealership installed a factory clutch/flywheel/TOB brand new last August along with a shortblock replacement due to rod bearing failure.

Another note would be valve noise. Whenever I'm coasting or decelerating, valve noise is noticably louder than when on the gas. This lasts until the car is fully warmed up. Could this just be from the combination of the valvetrain parts contracting and Subaru's already gigantic valvelash gap?

Mod list:

Stage 1 OS romraider map (from mickeyd2005)

Whiteline adj. 22mm FSB

hogzaust

Make sure that you have enough oil in the engine and gearbox.

And what type of oil do you use in engine?

The "clunk" is hard to decide - it can be nothing or it can be a problem. You may want to check that all engine supports are correctly mounted - some nitwit may have made a mistake when mounting the engine after the clutch change. May be as easy as tighten a screw.

Of course - it can also be the transmission that is sluggish due to the low temperature and thick transmission oil. The transmission oil at low temperature is like molasses so things will be a bit slow.

453747.png

//

Another note would be valve noise. Whenever I'm coasting or decelerating, valve noise is noticably louder than when on the gas. This lasts until the car is fully warmed up. Could this just be from the combination of the valvetrain parts contracting and Subaru's already gigantic valvelash gap?

//

I've found huge differences in cold engine noise depending on brand of oil on my old Subarus. The 09 WRX not so much. But you might try a different brand at the next change: Castrol was quietest.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

don't subies have the clutch aid spring ( spring with a special pivot to make the pedal lighter) ? could be that

also valve noise ? sure its not piston skirt slap noise ?

valve nosie normaly doesnt change with engine load.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Make sure that you have enough oil in the engine and gearbox.

And what type of oil do you use in engine?

The "clunk" is hard to decide - it can be nothing or it can be a problem. You may want to check that all engine supports are correctly mounted - some nitwit may have made a mistake when mounting the engine after the clutch change. May be as easy as tighten a screw.

Of course - it can also be the transmission that is sluggish due to the low temperature and thick transmission oil. The transmission oil at low temperature is like molasses so things will be a bit slow.

I might pull a 3rd gear log and do a before/after learning view just as a check-up.

The car was originally tuned in this weather, so I would suspect things are fine.

Have been using Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 last two changes with 4000mi OCI. Before that, Pennzoil Platinum with 3000mi OCI religiously.

After searching around about "piston slap" I found info stating there are Subaru redesigned EJ255 pistons for eliminating/reducing piston slap. Anyone know if they starting using them in replacement shortblocks?

I'll likely be getting under the car this week to check for loose mounts, as soon as I push my fb Rx-7 out of the garage and into the cold :-(

Archived