LegacyGT.com

05 high mileage owners - common repairs?

So for you 05 guys out there, with higher mileage (say 50-60K+), are you seeing any common part failures? Obviously normal maintenance is key, but are there any non-maintenance repairs you're having to make? Anything to watch out for?

I assume not, as my 97 LGT is going strong at almost 214K, but wanted to have some insight as I'm shopping.

Thanks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just over 50k and nothing wrong. The TGVs were stuck closed about two weeks ago but resolved itself after a few hours when I left work early (to poke at it). Other than that, a few CEL's for the TGVs (happened three times last year but no real issue) and that's about it.

Oh.. and the low beams burning out are a pain but it's a quick and simple replacement for the H7's.

60K on the clock and had to replace rear wheel bearings at about 40K and AF sensor at about 50K. I did new rotors, pads, stainless lines at 40K so I could take it to some track days. Currently the damn thing is suffering from lower than usual boost levels, which has me befuddled. I had the 60K done and nothing's changed. I need to get my hands on a laptop so I can data log.

(begin anti-jinx) Other than that she's been problem free (end anti-jinx)

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

93K on my car.

Headlight low-beam bulbs--I keep an H7 in my rear cubby. I can change them myself in a couple of minutes, even in the dark.

Rear wheel bearing--one, but it is a design flaw.

I had sticking front pads, called for replacement of rotors at 30K. Subie worked with me and I'm ok with it.

Windshield--OEM is thin and fragile. After 2 from the dealer, I went aftermarket and have had no problems since.

All-in-all, not unhappy, but I'm not a kool-aid kinda guy.

Still love my car.

P.

The wheel bearings are warrantied for like 8 years or something now because of the problems. Got a letter in the mail from SOA a while ago about it.

Should be the same for the friggin H7 bulbs. Some idiot engineer in the Headlamp Department is costing me at minimum 2 bulbs a year since I drove it off the lot.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Wheel bearings have an extended warranty for 8 years/100K now. At least for the '05's and '06's.

Some of you definitely need to do the DRL disable. I've only replaced 2 headlights (one on each side) since driving it off the lot. Watch, both will go out in the next couple of days! :lol: :lol: :spin:

OP - Check the Warranty Issues and Problems discussions for more info on things going wrong.

Cheers!

I'm at 47K and the only service issue I've had was to replace a faulty fuel injector over the winter, covered under warranty. Maintenance shows I've got 50% or more brake pad, little or no wear on the rotors and I've only needed to replace one H7.

No performance mods other than a K&N direct replacement airfilter.

As the car ages, it's getting a few extra squeeks. I love this car, seriously.

Just a few miles from 50K, bought her new in Feb. of '05.

Replaced lamps once (thank goodness, sounds like a regimen for some...)

Surfaced rotors once - SS lines and HPS pads are on the list soon

Replaced Radio (Warranty)

Otherwise, some rattles that really only occur when temperatures are lower (<60F or so, heats up and everything seems to fit together nicely) and sometimes getting into reverse is a pain (shift into first, then to reverse and syncros don't always line up. let out the clutch, try again and it works)

Only mods have happened within the last month: Rallitek Sways F/R, AVO Panel Filter

The car is a dream and I'm excited every day to drive her!

Archived