LegacyGT.com

ATF Bubbles

I've recently changed over the engine on my '97 BG with one from a '98 forester donor. Did most of the gaskets, including updating the oil separator plate. Now the engine is in and running, apparently I have a cam seal issue, or the primary bearing wasn't sealed properly, as I have a decent oil leakage coming from that general area.. It'll be a couple weeks before I have a chance to take the timing off to investigate, but shouldn't be too much of an issue to figure out! ..I'm hoping

However, I was experiencing torque bind in the transmission, and was recommended to replace the fluid. I had decided to replace the strainer as well, since it may not have ever been done. There was the orange silicone on the pan, I've seen it before on DIY vids, which makes me think it comes from factory like that. But the kit came with a rubber gasket, which is sealing tight!

The torque bind is completely gone, after 2 drains of the transmission, the second of which included the strainer and ~ 7.5L of new Dexron III fluid. Drained and refilled the front and read diffs with new 80w90 oil, all seems well.

However! The ATF has many bubbles on the dipstick. The level shows it just a hair below full, which I am leaving until I can get some LubeGard to top it with. So the most common thing people state is that the levels are low/high which cause bubbles. As well, I checked the air vent hoses for cloggs, which did not appear to have any, but I was reluctant to push anything thru the vents into the transmission, as it may push a contaminant down into the gears, and such..

Any ideas, thoughts, motivational speeches!?

Archived