LegacyGT.com

NGk wire set wrong?

I'm trying to figure out if I was sent the wrong set for my 1998 Gt wagon. The part numbers I've found online say NGK #8931 but the ends that go onto the coil are different and don't fit. Two are straight and thr other two are 90 degree elbows Can anyone help me with this

I believe the pre-'97 type spark plug wires had female ends where they connect to the coil, replaced by a male type end later. Perhaps you ordered the older design (assuming your coil is original/ original type). I know I ordered # 7600 NGK's for my '98, but it's a 2.2 so they may be different wires than yours.

Yup sadly your correct smh I forgot my coworker(previous owner) put in a 95 or 96 2.5 in this car. As soon as i googled a wire set for a 96 I seen the correct ones i needed.

This is what i need http://www.ebay.com/itm/NGK-8005-Spark-Plug-Wire-NGK-Spark-Plug-Wire-/300963987153?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4612d9fed1&vxp=mtr

And this is what i currently have http://www.ebay.com/itm/291041565225?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Ok so my next question is could i keep these wires and do the MSD upgrade? Or will I need the correct wire set to do the upgrade?

After looking back to saved bookmark i can keep my wires and do the MSD upgrade so ill just have to order it and wait for it to arrive….

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11704

i got the 8931 set for my 98 outback with a 2.5 and the ones in the box look identical connector wise on the coil side to the ones on the car currently..

2 are straight and 2 are 90 degree angled. haven't swapped over my neon coil pack yet

i'd either pick up an msd coil or get a neon one from a junkyard and use the wires you got..i got a neon one from the junkyard and ran it for like 5yrs on my 2.2 before i bought the outback i got now a few months back and never had a problem. gonna swap the neon coil pack to the outback next weekend.

i got the 8931 set for my 98 outback with a 2.5 and the ones in the box look identical connector wise on the coil side to the ones on the car currently..

2 are straight and 2 are 90 degree angled. haven't swapped over my neon coil pack yet

i'd either pick up an msd coil or get a neon one from a junkyard and use the wires you got..i got a neon one from the junkyard and ran it for like 5yrs on my 2.2 before i bought the outback i got now a few months back and never had a problem. gonna swap the neon coil pack to the outback next weekend.

By neon coil pack, are you referring to a Dodge Neon!?

Sorry but MSD coil install is pointless. Any gain isn't noticeable, my awhp/TQ were the same and my mpg didn't increase not one mile. I took mine off and sold it to a Neon guy. Lol. I understand that a better spark is good but will only effect an engine that is higher up in the HP division. When I installed upgraded coil packs on my 2jz I noticed a huge difference but that's because this car has big power. Sorry for going off topic so much.

Positive results with the MSD Coil is hit or miss, however; the 'power mode' mod on the 4EAT uses a completely different shift map and subsequently... is not pointless.

but yeah, IMO not worth it to spend upwards of $100 for this coilpack when much more effective upgrades could be had for less.

but yeah, IMO not worth it to spend upwards of $100 for this coilpack when much more effective upgrades could be had for less.

the OEM coil was about 100 bucks. the MSD coil was 74 bucks. i saved the money and got the MSD and have had no issues so far. theres a OEM coil on CL right now in my area for 20 bucks, im thinking of picking it up just for back up.

Archived