LegacyGT.com

5MT axle seal keeps leaking

rockford33

Typi g from my phone, so I'll be brief. 05 LGT, Subaru reman half shaft (front passenger side) replaced last year. Since then, it keeps leaking slightly. My mechanic has put in two new seals, each time it still leaks and the old seal looks fine (no nicks, splits, etc.). He is stumped as to why it keeps leaking. It is leaking tranny fluid from where the shaft goes into the tranny.

Anyone else have this issue? Reman shaft bought directly from local SUBY dealer, not an aftermarket part. Now I need a clutch too. Throw out bearing is toast.... 110k on the car.

Thanks,

Neil

I believe there are different seals for both sides, he has the correct seal, right ?

Is the axle shaft the right diameter ?

Is he putting the seal to fat in the case ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

the original seal on the reman shaft leaked, and he ordered the other 2 from the dealer directly (I believe, I know the last one was direct from Subaru, not an aftermarket seal).

As far as the axle shaft being the right diameter, I would assume so as I got the reman part directly from my dealership, so hopefully they got it right....

I don't think he is putting the seal in too far. IIRC, I thought the seal was on the shaft itself. TO have it in too far 3 times in a row would be really bad luck for me. But unfortunately, my clutch took a complete dump not an hour after my first post, so new clutch, fw, and seals are in my future this week....

Well, just got a call from my mechanic friend. He got my tranny apart and gave me a call and basically told me I was going to cry. Apparently, the throw out bearing blew apart, with some bearings getting stuck in the clutch fingers. The remainder of the bearings proceeded to (as he put it) almost cut my snout in half and it is cracked in 2 places.

I'm heading over after work to look at it (with a box of tissues...). I ordered the tsk3 kit with my new clutch, not sure if it will help now. Pics to follow later....

TSK3 should be able to fix that.

Grease the starter shaft while its out. They have become a problem.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had been hearing a slight noise all week. Thought it might have been my belts since they had been squeeking, so my mechanic had tightened them slightly. The noise came and went, and everything drove fine. Towards the end of the week, the clutch started to feel funny. We both thought the clutch was going and I was on may way home to park it until I ordered and installed a new clutch when the tob went boom. I definitely heard a noise then.... my mechanic said he had never seen a tob go before the clutch went.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
Well, everything was fixed last Monday and is working great. My friend said the TSK3 kit worked real well in fixing the gouged snout. I do have to say though that this clutch feels a lot lighter than the stock. I switched to an 07 LGT clutch with SMFW. Pedal feels feather light to push it down. But everything works! now to see if the axle seal has stopped leaking....

• 3 months later...

It's nice (not really) to see someone else have the same issues. At 80K my TOB went bang as well. When I dropped the tranny it looked like buckshot poured out of the bell housing. I went with a SMFW as well and it was softer than OEM. That goes away though as the grease thins out and the clutch matures.

Now I have a leaky axle seal that I just can't beat. New axles and new seals and it still leaks. It's only the passenger side just like yours.

Did you ever resolve it?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived