LegacyGT.com

Will a downpipe create that boxer rumble?

Question is regarding if a downpipe would produce that deep, aggressive boxer rumble. Asking due to financial restraints, just purchased my legacy and already feel the urge an aggressive sounding vehicle without buying an entire catback system. If not, can you suggest an alternative that is not too expensive to entire catback exhuaust.

Thanks guys, Buzz

seriously though, if all you are after is the boxer rumble, just try the Hogzaust. $2.00 in washers and you will get exactly what you are looking for. I had it and it really does sound good. I used 6 or 8 washers per bolt, can't remember. I put the gaskets back in for the 1200+ mile move from AR to PA. After I get it inspected, i'll put them back in.

Go for a nice CBE first.

Im running:

Magnaflow CBE

Invidia HighFlow DP

DC Sports UP

DC Sports Headers

And honestly the biggest change came from the first mod which was just the CBE, And 3.5 years later im still happy with my Magnaflows.

I did the Up Pipe and downpipe later at same time and it definately added a little more but was not as big a difference as when i had added the CBE.

Just added the Headers finally and Ill say they increased the noise more then the UP and Downpipe did combined. Especially at a idle.. id say increased the rumble while sitting at a stop by 1.5 and also more during WOT.

Like the others have all said, you've got "the Subaru/boxer Rumble" simply from the way the engine is configured, combined with the factory manifold's "unequal length" setup.

Changing the UP/DP will change the tone of that sound, but it won't do much at all for the volume if you don't open her up *AT THE MUFFLER SECTION*. Out of everything and anything, it's the muffler canisters that control (and shape) sound the most.

So, like the other said, either invest in a cat-back system or, alternatively, have a muffler shop do what StoplightAssassin suggested, or even run "straight pipes" after the resonator.

No money at all? Do the Hog-zawst.

Which takes us back to this:

Yeah saw the hogzaust, but prefer something more agressive like the perrin or invidia 300.

The Perrin and the Invidia Q300 are totally different beasts. The Q300 is on the quieter side of things - the Perrin? about as loud as you can get.

The Hog is something you can "tune" yourself - spaced enough apart, you'll get a more aggressive sound than the Q300, easily, as the exhaust stream will be bypassing the muffler canisters.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

What if I just purchase a muffler? Apoligize for the newb questions; however would running pipes thorugh the stock mufflers produce something similiar to the honda ricers that take their entire muffler out? Not intending to replicate that sound.

Invest in a good CBE. I got an SPT v.2 exhaust put on my car earlier this year, and it sounds wicked. Deep, mellow tone with tons of boxer rumble. Totally transformed the cars sound from stock. It's one of the pricier exhausts out there, but is worth it IMO. It has very high quality stainless steal.

Unless you spend $600+ extra on an equal length header, your car won't sound like a Honda ricer no matter what you do to your exhaust.

^ Even then, he still won't sound like a "Hon-duh." :)

Even with equal-length headers, at least on the BL/BP, there's still some retention of an underlying "off-beat" boxer rumble. This note becomes lost with the BM's new setup.

There are now numerous videos of BMs with aftermarket exhausts. Compare those to the innumerable videos of equal-length header fitted WRXs/STIs and even BL/BP Legacys. There's a distinct difference.

What if I just purchase a muffler?

Again, like I said before (and tried to highlight, no less), the muffler sections are what controls sound the most - both volume as well as overall tone.

Search YouTube for the Crawford Gymkhana exhaust for the current as well as previous-generation STIs. It's essentially a "tuned" straight-pipe. Note it lacks the big "muffler" section.

That's the idea. ;)

Pull off your mufflers - it's a 10 minute job with basic hand-tools, and you won't even have to jack your car up - and see how close you come to that kind of roar. :)

If you change the muffler, you change most drastically - as compared to changing anything else (i.e. UP, DP, resonator, etc.) - the overall sound as well as tone produced. Look at just the number of posts here arguing that one or another system may sound better to one person or another - the big change is the muffler: not convinced? look at makes that either utilize different rear canister sections or only have different canisters (and utilize the factory piping otherwise), such as Blitz's products or the popular (but expensive) change-over to JDM BL/BP-"STi" muffler canisters or Genome canisters.

But you just said you had no money.

And mufflers cost money. Even generic ones require you to weld-on hangers, which will cost you, in terms of a shop's labor.

If you have no money, do the Hog.

We're not lying to you. Try it. It takes all of 10 minutes to do - and if you don't like it, just bolt it back together. No money spent.

If you have no money, that's the first thing to try.

Everything else will cost at least some money.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived