LegacyGT.com

Diagnose me!!!

CarlJNgmail.com

I should really title this "help the OCD person" since I think I know what it is, but I want to get a second opinion.

The noise, starting at about 30mph and up to about 60, under good acceleration (enough to lift the front up a bit) I get a knocking/thudding type noise from the passenger front area. Only happens when on the gas and under load. Revs don't matter, will make the same noise whether its at 2500 or 6000rpm, only does it with lift. No power loss, no vibration, can't feel the sound, just hear it. Seems to not do it when the car has been driving for a while.

Ideas?

My diagnosis: inner CV joint.

Why? Two reasons:

1. Turning doesn't matter, only up and down motion contributes to the sound, and the only rotating part that goes up and down is the inner CV.

2. History with logic. Had to drive car about 5000 miles before I could replace a torn inner CV boot on the same side. Went though heat, cold, dry and rain with the grease having flung out of the boot (and smelling up my darn uppipe.) Also, I unfortunately didn't do the job for the boot, and seeing as the shop that did cause my axle seal to leak (which I went back to fix myself) who knows if they dis/reassembled the axle properly.

Second opinions? Put my mind at ease before I pop in that shiny new $370 axle in on Friday?

Update, I decided against installing a new axle since, after studying the design on that joint, and the bearings inside when I had to do the boot on the other side this weekend, that it probably wouldn't make the noise I'm hearing as inconsistently as I'm hearing it, with no binding issues. Any other ideas as to what it might be?

Archived