LegacyGT.com

Crap--my windshield got broke

Came out of work yesterday and found my windshield had an 18" crack.

Called my dealer, he quoted me $299 + $75 to replace, which I thought was reasonable, but still it a bunch o' bucks for nothing.

Crap.

P.

Is there an impact spot on the windshield (i.e. rock)? If not, and the windshield just cracked, you should try to get them to cover it under warranty. Also, check with your insurance about glass coverage. There may be a minimal/no deductible.

I just broke my second one (thin glass), defiantly recommend glass coverage with this car... my glass coverage has no deductible (Thankfully).

Yep, 2nd one for me too since Oct. :( The glass in the car is crap! Whoever is making these windshields is not annealing them properly or something. :confused:

my previous subaru (f-xt) had its windshield replaced twice too. oem glass is pretty crappy, but at least fits like it is supposed to (and has mounting hooks).

aftermarket tends to slide down after install, even though they put tape over to hold it in place. increased wind noise is the unfortunate result.

some mirror clips do not fit the oem mirror mount correctly, so test it prior to installation. sun visor/block green stripe is also usually different from oem (much slimmer) and the black dots are larger and poorly spaced.

make sure to inspect the glass before they start the install.

in general, auto glass is much weaker around the edges (less flexibility due to glass resting on the frame), so it is more prone to cracks and chips when hit elsewhere then in the more elastic center area.

btw, carlex (TN facility) makes oem legacy glass. since they are one of my customers i will try to ask the engineers why the glass is so weak ;) ... might be due to subaru's design constraints (weight, thickness, or just lame manufacturing standards/requirements):(

Archived