LegacyGT.com

Put over 150 miles on spare tire. How to replace?

This past Sunday we had a blowout on the way home from visiting family. The only open tire stores nearby (Walmart and Firestone) didn't have any tires in the OEM Legacy GT size. This left me no choice but to drive the rest of the way home using the spare. Going 50 mph on the interstate with holiday traffic is not fun!

I have probably put more miles on the spare than was intended. I tried to see if the dealership could order me a replacement, but they couldn't. The tire store that replaced my tires said that I should probably get an extra fullsize rim to use as the spare.

Is this the best choice? I wouldn't feel safe with just a tire repair kit in the car. In Sunday's incident this would have done nothing since the tread completely separated from the sidewall.

Thanks.

Barry

PS. Remember to check your spare pressure from time to time. Mine was 25 lbs low.

If you are using the OEM wheels and tires you should be able to put a full size spare in the wheel well. An OEM wheel and tire should fit but you wouldn't be able to fit your under carpet organizer tray. I hope you kept the other three tires as you could have used one of them for a full size spare.

only 150 miles on the spare? and you want to replace it? waste of $$$ if you asked me.

went over 1000 miles on the donut in my previous car, straight. and i've probably put more than a few hundred on the subie's spare as well.

spares are usually good for 3k miles before the tread is gone. and 50 mph is a suggestion, not a requirement

Just be aware that even spare tires ages, but you should be able to find a reasonable tire to replace it with. It's the dimension that's important, not the style.

But we probably got those crappy emergency tires for our sins. :rolleyes:

453747.png

i put mine on the rear, because i don't want to risk my steering capabilities, losing control, crashing, etc etc

This is what you are supposed to do, and the reason why, per the owners manual.

The rear LSD will not "wear" due to the difference in revs/mile. Viscous type LSD FTW!

i put mine on the rear, because i don't want to risk my steering capabilities, losing control, crashing, etc etc

+1 Exactly not to mention the front two wheels absorb the most impact from the road(ie potholes, dips, etc.), having a tiny spare in the front is just asking for trouble.

i normally tell people just to find a good size steel wheel, or oem wheel with the correct size tire but usally a run of the mill (ALL SEASON NON DIRECTIONAL)tire. better than a doughnut but still a temp use

i need to get around to doing this on the lgt

The owner's manual states: "Do not exceed 50 mph (80 km/h)"

Sounds like a requirement, not a suggestion.

I ran it on the interstate at 70 mph when my old tire broke a belt 100 miles from my destination. I got out and checked it halfway home and topped off the air. Obviously, it's recommended because the spare is designed to limp home, but i did it because i had to and was scared about what could happen to the awd system. But, Subaru makes a robust vehicle, and everything works as it should.

Possible, not recommended, definitely not required.

Archived