LegacyGT.com

Paintless dent removal, anyone tried these methods?

Gmoe

Sure looks like it could/would work. I don't see how it could do any harm. Thoughts?

[ame=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/820799/secret_paintless_dent_removal_technique_easy_and_cheap/]Secret Paintless Dent Removal Technique - Easy And Cheap! Video - Metacafe[/ame]

[ame=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379/remove_car_dent_with_airduster]Remove Car Dent With Airduster Video - Metacafe[/ame]

Well after reading what people said on the site, multiple people said they tried it and nothing happened, then multiple people said it damages the paint. The video is pretty low quality, so you really can't even tell wtf is going on. Everytime he puts the dry ice on, you can see the camera has reset. Who knows, not something that's going to be tried on my Legacy.

Any good PDR guy in your town should charge $100 - 150 to take out all the dents in your car, assuming it didn't get hammered by a hail storm.

I've used PDR guys for 10+ years now on many different family cars and I've always been thrilled with the results, and will be using my regular guy again next week on my latest van aquisition. Best money spent on a car.

I don't have any dents that I'm trying to remove, just wondering if maybe something like this is what is done in shops in the right circumstances.

So what tools/techiniques to the pros use? There has to be some secret or special tool about it. When I bought my car there were a couple dings that the dealer fixed. No idea how they do/did it though.

it is an artform. No joke. There are very specific tools to pop dents (always from inside the sheetmetal) and they usually get a bunch of training beforehand.

It is not somethign that I would attempt myself even if I had their tools. Unless it was at the scrap yard and I had all day to practice.

My guy, Paul, is a wizard. He took a fist sized dent out of the door panel on my old Acura where some skater punk flipped his board into.

When I picked up the car, he admitted he wasn't 100% happy with the job. i couldn't even remember which door the dent used to be after seeing his handiwork. He charged me 100 bucks cash for that one.

A friend of mine just sent me this link where someone uses a hair dryer and an air can:

http://lifehacker.com/software/macgyver/macgyver-tip-fix-a-dent-with-canned-air-and-a-hair-dryer-254575.php

I just tried it but it didn't work. So I'm guessing either my dent can't be fixed this way, or I didn't warm up the area enough. Gonna try it again probably when it's a tad warmer out though.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

A friend of mine just sent me this link where someone uses a hair dryer and an air can:

http://lifehacker.com/software/macgyver/macgyver-tip-fix-a-dent-with-canned-air-and-a-hair-dryer-254575.php

I just tried it but it didn't work. So I'm guessing either my dent can't be fixed this way, or I didn't warm up the area enough. Gonna try it again probably when it's a tad warmer out though.

But no harm to your paint/finish right?

In that video, the guy says he's using a liquid CO2 air duster. The majority of air dusters out there are liquid R134a (A/C refrigerant). Liquid CO2 boils at -109.3 F, while R134a boils at -15.3 F. That's a fairly big difference. Not sure where he got a CO2 duster...

In that video, the guy says he's using a liquid CO2 air duster. The majority of air dusters out there are liquid R134a (A/C refrigerant). Liquid CO2 boils at -109.3 F, while R134a boils at -15.3 F. That's a fairly big difference. Not sure where he got a CO2 duster...

Hm, didn't know there was a difference between my Dust-Off from Costco's and his.

Where can I get a CO2 duster?

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Hm, didn't know there was a difference between my Dust-Off from Costco's and his.

Where can I get a CO2 duster?

Looks like they're coming out with air dusters that use those little disposable 12g CO2 canisters like a BB gun. Might work. I'd think you'd probably be just as happy with the dry ice though. I know you can get it from a fire extinguisher shop, as it's used as a propellant.

Archived