LegacyGT.com

New car drama

So I just bought a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon and I've had a few problems so far. It has 77000 miles on it, pretty clean 5 speed. When I test drove the car it ran great. When I bought the car it was on E and I noticed they filled the tank half way. I've had the car for 3 days and since I've had it the car has shaken terribly at idle and even through a code saying camshaft advance timing. What I believe is that they put cheap gas in the motor and the motor is reacting to it. Hope that's just it I just paid $10,000 for it and hope I didn't just get ripped off. :mad:uploadfromtaptalk1403441952345.thumb.jpg.64efd42cd9101511578d9e5943310c42.jpg

If it's half full of bad gas, you could go to the trouble to drain the gas or you could also just go out and fill the tank with known good gas and dilute them both into barely acceptable and then take it easy on her for the tank. Check the oil level too, I had a camshaft advance code once upon a time when I was super low on oil. And these cars are known to burn oil, so check it often and add as necessary between changes.

These are great cars and you get an unbelievable amount of performance and upgradeability for your money, but they are a little bit temperamental at times and it helps to know what to look out for. You've taken the most important step by finding legacygt.com, you just need to start doing a little reading to get up to speed. ;) Check out catted uppipe and banjo bolt filter as known design weaknesses that should be addressed if not already done so by a previous owner. Other than that, you got a pretty great car in a great trim and color combo. Hopefully there isn't something more serious wrong with this one. Good luck! Welcome to LGT.com.

If it's half full of bad gas, you could go to the trouble to drain the gas or you could also just go out and fill the tank with known good gas and dilute them both into barely acceptable and then take it easy on her for the tank. Check the oil level too, I had a camshaft advance code once upon a time when I was super low on oil. And these cars are known to burn oil, so check it often and add as necessary between changes.

These are great cars and you get an unbelievable amount of performance and upgradeability for your money, but they are a little bit temperamental at times and it helps to know what to look out for. You've taken the most important step by finding legacygt.com, you just need to start doing a little reading to get up to speed. ;) Check out catted uppipe and banjo bolt filter as known design weaknesses that should be addressed if not already done so by a previous owner. Other than that, you got a pretty great car in a great trim and color combo. Hopefully there isn't something more serious wrong with this one. Good luck! Welcome to LGT.com.

what I did was fill the tank it hasn't shaken since yesterday morning so hopefully no more issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm a change the y pipe and bongo filter after the 90 day warranty is up. Do you know if I change the y pipe with a newer year sti would I need a tune?

Not sure what you mean by y pipe as all of the manifolding happens in the headers. The uppipe is just a single tube (with a heatshield if you've got OEM and with a cat if you've got an 05-06). I think you mean uppipe with an sti uppipe. If that's the case, then no, you do not need a tune. Aftermarket downpipe and exhaust headers both require a tune, but the uppipe can sneak by with out one. I think any year sti or an 07+ LGT up will get you there.

Not sure what you mean by y pipe as all of the manifolding happens in the headers. The uppipe is just a single tube (with a heatshield if you've got OEM and with a cat if you've got an 05-06). I think you mean uppipe with an sti uppipe. If that's the case, then no, you do not need a tune. Aftermarket downpipe and exhaust headers both require a tune, but the uppipe can sneak by with out one. I think any year sti or an 07+ LGT up will get you there.

Yeah I meant up pipe sorry lol

I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out

Doesn't make a difference, they'll tell you it's not their problem anymore, anynow. This is easily fixable. Drop in a few cans of octane booster just to make sure. 2-3 should be about right.

If you're idling rough and throwing cam codes, you'll likely need to replace [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFF7LTM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]these[/ame] and they're super easy to do yourself. There's one on each head. It's the deal on the end that has a connector going to it. They're actually a wear item, and should be replaced about every 75k. Most owners don't replace them. The link there is where you'll find them the cheapest.

You need to learn how to check the oil. pull the dip stick about 3" close the hood and walk away, come back hours later, wipe the stick, then check the oil. The oil drains back into the pan that way.

You need to spend a lot of time here reading and learning about these cars. Get a pen and paper, make a list.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You need to learn how to check the oil. pull the dip stick about 3" close the hood and walk away, come back hours later, wipe the stick, then check the oil. The oil drains back into the pan that way.

You need to spend a lot of time here reading and learning about these cars. Get a pen and paper, make a list.

interesting i have never had a boxer engine before

Even my old twin cylinder boxer lawn tractor would do the same thing. For some reason the oil level stays high, even after the engine hasn't been started for weeks.

These cars need TLC, keep up with the fluid levels and changes, learn how things sound. When the sounds change, you need to chek it right away.

These turbo's can go south quickly and take the engine with them.

Read the sticky's up top and decide which oil your going to use.

You do know they only made these 5mt wagons for one year ? Take care of it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yep, looks like you have one like mine, 1 of 108 made. See the sticky up top.

ct?, are you from CT ? I see the car has no front plate, both my don't either.

If you haven't already, source a VAG-COM cable from ebay for around $10-15. Read up on RomRaider and Learning View. Those two software programs will be an immensely powerful tool for diagnosing and tuning your car (read the stickies).

The OCV is likely culprit. Check the thread posted.

Heuberger Subaru is a great source for OEM parts.

Your also close to some great local Tuners.

The first thing you want to do is get the car off the OEM MAP, it has a timing flaw that burns valves.

You can also get better MPG at stage 2.

Archived