LegacyGT.com

Koni, Epic, Sways & a Wagon

legacybt

Koni/Epic threads seem to be popping up all over the place, but I can't find anything conclusive for my application. I'm looking for some advice on a suspension setup.

I have a 2005 5MT 2.5 GT Wagon. It's currently running a 100,000 mile (160K Km) set of bilsteins in the rear and new KYB shocks in the front, with a tired set of Spec B tophats. I understand that to install the Koni's in the front I need to order new dust boot, bump stop, upper spring seat - is this correct?

I've already ordered Koni springs, and am wondering what exactly to pair them with for a DD/roadtrip/spirited driving/occasional auto-x setup.

My current plan is a set of Epic Springs (wrapped to prevent sqeaking), new Spec B Strut Mounts, and a (3/8"???) saggy butt spacer in the rear. Wagon owners, could you chime in with what got you a nice even ride height with this combination? Would you recommend a roll centre kit for this amount of drop?

I also want a good set of sways to bring the handling of the car to get rid of the understeer, what would wagon owners recommend for my application? It has new endlinks in the front, but will need reinforcement brackets in the rear.

I'm new to the Subie scene and excited to get involved!

If you have KYB struts in front, you should be able to just reuse the parts off of them to build the Konis. No need to buy new if the parts are in nice shape. Unless you weren't planning on cannibalizing your KYBs for the build.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

That's definitely part of the plan, though it sounds like I'll need to buy a new dust boot, bump stop, and upper spring seat to fit them. Does anyone have any experience with the shocks/tophats/springs combo on a wagon as far as ride height and saggy butt spacer thickness goes?

Replace your Spec B top hats with USDM LGT (KYB-style) top hats and you won't need saggy butt spacers. Spec B top hats are only to be run with Bilsteins and JDM springs. Konis use USDM or KYB-style strut housings and should be run with USDM springs (like Epics) using KYB-style top hats.

I've got 1/4" spacers in the back with the Eibach (now Epic) springs. Nice even gaps front and rear. I also have the OEM top hats in the front. 3/8" spacers might be a good idea if you drive frequently with heavy loads in the boot.

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can dig up what height difference there is between the Spec B tophats and OEM ones (all I've found is "just a hair" of difference...).

On a related note, would you reuse top hats in this condition? There is a bit of cracking in the rubber around the edge.

970246071_2013-05-2010_31_22.jpg.22f6e36defc32f8be9ca1a657b985c33.jpg

968656_4508164355723_1952138793_o.jpg.5d0db4bbf8393b4cd189816a36300f96.jpg

re USDM vs Spec B tophats: off the car, unmounted to the struts/springs, the height is nearly identical. The difference comes in once you mount them and put the weight of the car on them. The USDM flex much more, probably near 3/8 of an inch. So the ride height difference would be 3/8 of an inch...if all else was equal.....USDM lower.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can dig up what height difference there is between the Spec B tophats and OEM ones (all I've found is "just a hair" of difference...).

On a related note, would you reuse top hats in this condition? There is a bit of cracking in the rubber around the edge.

You can't tell based on that alone. There's a bearing inside the front top mounts that will go bad from age and use. Replace them.

Archived