LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy 2.5i 4 cylinder Spark Plug Change

Are the spark plugs an easy change? I am at 60,000 and think a spark plug replacement will help her out. Just wanted to check and see if there are issues or advise on how to do this service myself.

Thanks

Wow, I thought I drove alot, I only have 41k on my 2010:lol:

There are good walkthroughs on how to do this, if you feel like searching around a bit...

However, if the 2.5i is the same as the GT, the consensus around these forums seems to be that it's not worth the time... it's certainly possible, but most of the feedback I got was to just pay someone to do it... apparently there are some pretty tight spaces for the wrench-work.

Spark plug change out on a 2010+ 2.5i EJ series doesn't look bad at all. You can easily reach down and get ahold of each coil-over. If you can get you hand in to remove each coil, spark plugs should be fairly easy to change.

Thing is, at ~60K miles & ~3yrs, those platinum plugs will look new yet. You could always pull them to inspect, apply some never-seize and reinstall, but if you go through all that, you might as well spend the $30-40 on new plugs.

I'm a believer in applying never-seize to spark plug threads and some silicone grease to the coil boot. Next owner will LOVE you.

Joel

Thanks - i'll take a look tonite. in lieu of Subaru would you buy the spec'd NGK plugs online and found this:

Brand:NGKNotes:Iridium Ix Spark Plug

.044 ; Natural ; 4 Per Veh;spark Plug; Years:2010-2011Vehicle:2010 SUBARU LEGACY H4-2458cc 2.5L F/I VAvailability:In Stock

Click here to look up similar parts!

http://images.whisystems.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/NGK/NGK5688-1.jpg $ 10.64$ 42.56

Spark plug change out on a 2010+ 2.5i EJ series doesn't look bad at all. You can easily reach down and get ahold of each coil-over. If you can get you hand in to remove each coil, spark plugs should be fairly easy to change.

Thing is, at ~60K miles & ~3yrs, those platinum plugs will look new yet. You could always pull them to inspect, apply some never-seize and reinstall, but if you go through all that, you might as well spend the $30-40 on new plugs.

I'm a believer in applying never-seize to spark plug threads and some silicone grease to the coil boot. Next owner will LOVE you.

Joel

All excellent suggestions. YouTube has some Subaru plug removal videos too.

Looks like pulling the battery, wiped fluid tank and air box help. Not a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to change the plugs myself. I am no mechanic so this is a small victory for me! Make sure you have a 6 inch socket extension, 5/8 inch spark plug socket and a 10 mm socket to get the coil off. i had to remove the air filter housing and hose to get access to the passenger side plugs which was easy. Also, on the driver side closest to the steering wheel I needed to just loosen some electrical housing (not remove it) to get a little wiggle room to get the coil out and socket extension in.

Overall easy and not much cussing!

Hope this helps someone else give it a try

• 9 months later...
Haven't looked at this thread in almost a year. I'm at 80K now after a few cross country trips. I changed my plugs at 75K in my garage a couple months ago. It was very easy and took less than an hour. No need to raise the engine or anything too complicated. Just removed the battery and the plastic intake. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I will help the best I can. Edited by Jsmith

I did it a while back and had no problems. The back driverside plug was the toughest. I loosed the engine compartment fuse block to make it easier. Probably didn't even need to do that. I pulled the air cleaner box in five minutes on the passenger side to easily access the plugs. The driver side does need the batter pulled, but that isn't anything major either.

No engine lifting or difficult work. Used long extension on socket set though. Put dielectric compound on boots and antiseize on threads. Cleaned up battery while at it and replaced air cleaner.

Maybe took 1.7 hours. Kept the used plugs as spares.

I did it a while back and had no problems. The back driverside plug was the toughest. I loosed the engine compartment fuse block to make it easier. Probably didn't even need to do that. I pulled the air cleaner box in five minutes on the passenger side to easily access the plugs. The driver side does need the batter pulled, but that isn't anything major either.

No engine lifting or difficult work. Used long extension on socket set though. Put dielectric compound on boots and antiseize on threads. Cleaned up battery while at it and replaced air cleaner.

Maybe took 1.7 hours. Kept the used plugs as spares.

This sums up exactly what did as well, even down to keeping the used ones as spares

What good are used plugs for?

I guess this is one downside of having a boxer engine. Getting access can be difficult.

Since my Legacy is leased I won't have to worry about it thankfully.

I keep them in the foam organizer under the trunk liner along with tools and some other things just in case of an emergency. They are old and used, but in the event I needed them, they will work and keep me going until I can buy new ones. In my opinion, they are the equivalent to the undersized 50MPH max spare tire. With all the adventuring that I do, I never know how far away from civilization I may be at any given time. Better safe than sorry.

You are totally right about buying a new set, just haven't got around to it. But its more of a piece of mind thing than anything else, just knowing that they are there just in case.