LegacyGT.com

Turbo (un)install HOWTO with pics

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to know everything in this thread :) . Good pics and info.

Now I know that there is absolutely no way that I would ever do this myself. I'll pay a professional for the install...

Can you please post the reinstall....I was so captivated that I was taking my car apart as I was reading....now I'm at the end of the thread and all I have is a bunch of parts laying around...please help!:lol:

wcbjr-

Do you torque everything to spec when reinstalling and retorque after a few heat cycles?

I retorque everything with my precision hand-ometer. That and a small bottle of Blue Loktite. I know roughly how much torque on each nut and bolt because I have done this about 10 times. But if you haven't done this a few times, I would suggest getting torque specs.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is very well done except it just talks about pulling off.

I am stuck. For the life of me I can not get the oil return line back on.

Got some advice for putting turbo on - I mean order.

Basically, ya gotta line up the turbo to the studs on the up-pipe, the air inlet hose, and the oil return line.

Which do you do 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

Also, There is almost zero room to maneuver the oil return line. Thanks to another thread, I learned the trick about tying up the air inlet hose so as not to wrip it (as I did before learning that) but here I am stuck with the oil inlet hose.

So, there is a metal hose from the turbo, a metal hose coming up from the block and a rubber hose to connect them.

Do you connect it to the turbo first or have it connected to the bottom pipe first?

Hints/advice please

Thanks

Also, when mounting the turbo, how do you get that damn rubber hose on to the metal hose?

I got vaseline on the rubber hose, and I got the thin pointy tools that help run between the rubber and metal to ease on the hose but there is so little room to maneuver. Desperately seeking advice here.

This is very well done except it just talks about pulling off.

I am stuck. For the life of me I can not get the oil return line back on.

Got some advice for putting turbo on - I mean order.

Basically, ya gotta line up the turbo to the studs on the up-pipe, the air inlet hose, and the oil return line.

Which do you do 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

Also, There is almost zero room to maneuver the oil return line. Thanks to another thread, I learned the trick about tying up the air inlet hose so as not to wrip it (as I did before learning that) but here I am stuck with the oil inlet hose.

So, there is a metal hose from the turbo, a metal hose coming up from the block and a rubber hose to connect them.

Do you connect it to the turbo first or have it connected to the bottom pipe first?

Hints/advice please

Thanks

Oil return first, air inlet last. I use a bent coathanger to pull the air inlet back on. The metal outlet should still be on the turbo, the hose should still be on the the inlet on the engine. Put the turbo onto the uppipe and slide the oil tube into the hose at the same time.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

there's not much room, but there's enough to poke a screwdriver/socket extension in to tighten the clamp. you've got to kind of plan ahead and line the clamp screw up somewhat to accept whatever you'll use to tighten it once the inlet hose is seated properly on the turbo.

When taking the turbo off, did you pull a certain fuse so that when trying to start the car the engine turns but it wont turn on so that the remaining oil is pumped through? I'm installing a DP, UP and replacing the oil return line because it's leaking like a siv. The guy helping me said I should find out which fuse to do this. Thanks

When taking the turbo off, did you pull a certain fuse so that when trying to start the car the engine turns but it wont turn on so that the remaining oil is pumped through? I'm installing a DP, UP and replacing the oil return line because it's leaking like a siv. The guy helping me said I should find out which fuse to do this. Thanks

I believe it's the fuel pump fuse, just in case you were wondering.

Well after trying many different ways, here's what worked for me.

1. Rubber hose on metal pipe comin up from block. Push it all the way down so its out of the way.

2. Tie up air inlet hose so its angled up. Turbo will slide into it nice and easy

3. set turbo down on studs

4. from underneath, use long screw driver to push rubber hose up onto metal pipe from turbo. had to use hook tool to pull rubber pipe into place while pushing it up.

wasnt easy but it worked.