LegacyGT.com

Calling 6 speed SpecB owners - OEM short shifter?

Does anyone run OEM STI 6-speed short shifter assembly?

I am swapping 6 speed into my 5mt LGT and need new 6-speed specific linkage. On my 5mt I was using OEM STI short shifter with great results - I like it better than Cobb STS.

I know Cobb makes STS now for Legacy 6-speed as well. Experience with that?

I very much prefer the OEM six-speed shifter-assembly in my 2007 spec.B over the five-speed shifter-assembly with the OEM short-throw kit in my 2006 spec.B, which I sold. The six-speed is light and precise; the five-speed is heavy.

i have the cobb double adjustable STS....my first choice was really to go with the oem short shift assembly....but it came down to money~

i think the cobb one is ok...never had a short shifter before so someone else should chime in on it..i like the fact that it's doubel adjustable...but i think i need to grind the plate down - i believe when i'm in 2nd, 4th and 6th, the shifter is rattling off the plate..it's just a little annoying with the extra noise...sounds like frinding almost ~

i have a sti sts. Ive never driven any other subaru so i cant tell you any differences. I can tell you that the STI sts feels nice and stock (the throws arent that short). My Nissan's B&M sts has real short throws in comparison

i have a sti sts. Ive never driven any other subaru so i cant tell you any differences. I can tell you that the STI sts feels nice and stock (the throws arent that short). My Nissan's B&M sts has real short throws in comparison

Could take picture, please? Ideally one from the side at console level, another overview of the cockpit. Or measure height from the console level to the top of knob. I assume you're using stock 6-speed knob.

Could take picture, please? Ideally one from the side at console level, another overview of the cockpit. Or measure height from the console level to the top of knob. I assume you're using stock 6-speed knob.

yea, sure can snap a few pictures. PM me your email addy. I'll send it out later tonight.

yea, sure can snap a few pictures. PM me your email addy. I'll send it out later tonight.

Post them here (you can attach to a post), so others can see them as well! Thanks!!

I'm all about STi or Kartboy. But honestly, you may as well go Kartboy. Unless you get the STi one new, and roll it into your payments, the Kartboy is cheaper, also excellent quality, and doesn't require a new linkage. Which is of no greater quality than the OEM one.

Trust me...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55939

...This is very old knowledge. :) (Just please don't bump that thread...)

• 4 years later...

Just to update an older thread the Spec B 6 speed STS from the Subaru Performance Catalog was superseded:

Old Part Number C1010AG100

New Part Number C1010AG101

Part Name SHORT THRW SFT L 6ML

MSRP $395.00

Core $0.00

Online Price $370.31

• 2 years later...

*pooof* Time to blow some dust of this thread!

I'm looking for an STS for my 6-speed Spec B as well. Those of you who got a Kartboy, what's the part number? I can only find 5-speed ones.

There's the STi one, but not sure if that fits??

http://www.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16150&cat=256&page=1

Edit: Ah crap! Kartboy just got back to me. They had Spec B specific ones but they were discontinued a few years ago. My only hope is that one of the dealers has one or I get hold of a used one.

Damn, It's one of the thongs I've been thinking about doing to my 09 Spec B. I really enjoy the OEM STS in my 05. I noticed the stock shifter in the Spec, has a longer throw. just haven't got around to buying a STS for it yet...other things in life keep popping up...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Cobb still make one?

Yes, they have this one:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/short-throw-shifters/subaru-6-speed-double-adjustable-short-throw-shifter-lgt-spec-b

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0218/5314/products/F-COB-215315-01_large.jpg

While the COBB one is a beauty, I don't care much about the ability to adjust it (since I would go for minimum throw length anyway), so what surprises me is that COBB says its STS shortens the throws by 25%. While the Kartboy one is said to reduce throws by 40%. Could that be accurate? 25% isn't much, but people seem happy with it.

And the Kartboy is Cr-Mo steel, while COBB is aluminum. I would imagine that steel would give a more solid feel since aluminum is more soft?

Either way, the Kartboy Spec.B doesn't seem to be available at any of the distributors, so that's dead anyway. :(

Archived