LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT here. Question. Why don't Subaru's come stock with a turbo timer? I was under the impression that if you wanted to make sure your turbo didn't seize up you needed one yet they never seem to come stock from any manufacturer. Is there a certain size or use that makes you need one?

I usually make sure to let the engine warm up before doing any kind of "spirited driving." Conversely, I take it easy a few minutes before reaching my destination, and idle for a couple of minutes after stopping before shutting off the engine. None of my other cars that were turbo came with a turbo timer - at most a warning to do what I mentioned above.

• I Donated Too

Hello and welcome new member, who may think Turbo's haven't advanced from the 80's.

Turbo timers are about cooling the Turbo right? Well Subaru designed it out the need for the average driver with a nice water cooled Turbo and positing a reservoir of coolant above the Turbo. The flow of this coolant continues after the car is turned off and the Turbo will cool effectively. Fit a turbo timer if you wish, it is completely unnecessary unless you beat the living hell out of your Turbo and shut it right off the moment you come screeching sideways into your drive. If that's the case, your Turbo cooling would really be the least of your concerns.

• I Donated Too
Not that I am aware of... They came stock with a line in their 80s and 90s manual that said something like 'after aggressive driving drive gently or let the car idle to dissipate heat' - actually no, they didn't - maybe something but who reads the book?

Archived