LegacyGT.com

Want to make your car front wheel drive?

Do you want your car to be front wheel drive? Want to feel what all that power would feel like when sent to 2 wheels instead of being spread out to all 4? want to spin the tires with your 160ish HP 2.5?

I'm gonna share a little secret with you!

Step 1: Pop your hood

Step 2: Go to passenger side of engine bay and look for a little black square that says "FWD" in white up next to the fire wall

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/American-Trucker/20-1.jpg

Step 3: Open the cap and insert a 15amp fuse

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/American-Trucker/21.jpg

Step 4: Start your car

Step 5: Look at the bottom or your guage cluster it will now say "FWD" in red

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/American-Trucker/22.jpg

Enjoy! Your car is now Front wheel drive.

**Warning** Your car will pull to the side while accelerating so hold onto the steering wheel

Two things wrong with this post:

1. This is bad for your car. As subikid90 said its for diagnostic/emergency situations only. You can twist the front axles (according to Subaru of America) and it puts more strain on the front drivetrain of your vehicle than it was designed for.

2. If your car is pulling to the side in this mode, you have something wrong with your car, lol, diagnostic mode works!

Edit: sorry I can't edit posts on my black berry, but just wanted 2 add that like the above people said, this is NOT a good idea to do unless in an emergency situation, I was just simply asking if this was auto trans cars only.

Isn't this only good for automatic transmission equip models? The manual trans models don't have the "FWD" fuse port right?

I believe so. I might be wrong, but my understanding was that manual cars had a physical split for torque SET at 50/50. The autos have variable torque split, which I believe is 50/50 under acceleration, and something more like 90/10 while cruising or something like that.

EDIT: Yipes you people are quick.

what i cant get is why would you even want to do this? well besides for diagnostic reason. but other than that, why? i bought my subaru mainly for the AWD. if i wanted fwd, and tires spinning i would have got a civic si.

I have done it in the snow before for fun. You don't quite realize how lucky you are until you try driving through snow in FWD mode, lol, it's SCARY. Plus you get stuck everywhere.

I have done it in the snow before for fun. You don't quite realize how lucky you are until you try driving through snow in FWD mode, lol, it's SCARY. Plus you get stuck everywhere.

well lucky for me i don't get any snow where i live to get stuck in or even play in, :(

that fwd fuse is a big NO. it'll kill your diff. if you want a fwd car, don't get a subaru period. sorry to be the a-hole here, but that's stupid to do in either the 4eat or the 5speed. I'm not sure the differences between the two, but it's not worth the risk. no need, the subaru is meant to be awd all the time. limp only with that fuse. please no one try this for long periods of time, for the good of the car.

the only time my scubie will ever be 2 wheel drive is when the motor goes out and it gets a 355 with a posi rear end

(just waiting for the motor to go 212000 and its on its way i think)

ps . i know the kind of work it will take to do this)

LOL first off my car is no longer auto, Second I don't drive my car like this, Third I never said it was good for your car, Forth Yes it is supposed to pull your Subaru is AWD NOT 4WD. All wheel drive means 1 powered wheel on the front and one on the back on opposite sides and the other 2 wheels just follow, just like the limited slip diff in the back of most pickup trucks, so thats why is will pull toward the powered wheel. I was just posting the info for anyone that might want to know.

And to answer the question why would anyone want to spin the wheels, I have seen TONS of high school kids putting there car in neutral and reeving it up and dropping it into drive to try and spin the wheel, this way does far less damage

Thats why I posted this, Just something interesting about Subaru's and a safer way to beat the crap out of your car lol I used to see allot of stupid stuff when I was in HS, I went to tech school so everyone thought they had a race car and were a master mechanic haha

Archived