LegacyGT.com

Security system - honking versus beeping

Hey does anyone happen to know what the major difference is between the Legacy's that beep when you lock/unlock them versus the ones that honk when you lock/unlock them?

Mine honks and I love the sound of the beeping. Can I buy the mechanism that beeps and wire it up instead of the horn and keep everything else the same?

Not answering your question, but you can turn off the honking if it bothers you. You'd just have your blinkers on while you lock/unlock your car. Mine has been this way since day 1. The horn annoys me.

I do have the car beep at me if a door is not properly close while I am locking the car though.

With my 2.5i (not sure of any difference in this regard) it would do a single chirp the first 2 times I push lock then honk the horn on the 3rd press. But since I got a remote starter installed, I use that to lock/unlock and that is tied into the horns. Single honk for lock and double honk for unlock. I also have supertones installed... But I can silence the honk by pressing a button before pressing lock/unlock.

Other than that I am not much help, sorry

I'm assuming you haven't owned the car since new?

I don't know of any recent Subaru model that uses the horn as the answer back confirmation, they've all been a beeper.

If you press "Lock" three times, it honks the horn as a car finder function, but the standard confirmation noise is a beeper.

Lock: one short beep

Unlock: two short beeps

Unlock wagon hatch: two long beeps

If it's any different for yours or the horn honks instead of the beeper, I'm guessing a previous owner had an aftermarket alarm installed.

Archived