LegacyGT.com

Driving in the rain

Im just curious how that F150 or Crown Vic or Ford Focus is flying by me in the rain.

What gives?

In my 05 LGT on the way to class and in a good downpour they're just flying and I feel on edge. Granted Im in NC mountains and I bought a car with high performance summer tires. Is that really such a difference maker?

Most drivers don't drive for the conditions. I'm assuming you're slowing down because you're smart.

But more to your point. Last 'winter' driving in the bay area I slowed down to 55mph, which was the max speed I could drive without hydroplaning. One section of road had over 7 spin outs because of a nice large pool of water the morons hit going 80+. Most people cannot drive.

On high performance summer tires I have no problem driving fast in the rain. However I typically slow down because the roads around here and in California are known to have pooling in the low points. Leading to hydroplaning. Drive for the conditions and let the strong survive :)

Sounds to me like you're just not that great of a driver in the rain. I mean okay, an F150 will do better once the rain starts puddling up causing hydroplaning but if a focus is passing you I'm pretty sure it's just your driving haha. not to hate at all, just saying cuz it's not a bad thing to drive slower in the rain.

Well everyone thinks they're an awesome driver and all the other drivers on the road suck so i wont defend the 'you cant drive' comment. But i guess i should have clarified that its the body roll of the sedan that is making me feel on edge. I just have this instinctual feeling that the tires could let go at anytime. These mtn twisties are new to this flatlander. Granted i might just be pussyfooting it because its my first nice car and ive never had an awd or had to drive in such crappy conditions. Either way ill definitely be getting some winter specific tires next season and im sure all will be well.

Well everyone thinks they're an awesome driver and all the other drivers on the road suck so i wont defend the 'you cant drive' comment. But i guess i should have clarified that its the body roll of the sedan that is making me feel on edge. I just have this instinctual feeling that the tires could let go at anytime. These mtn twisties are new to this flatlander. Granted i might just be pussyfooting it because its my first nice car and ive never had an awd or had to drive in such crappy conditions. Either way ill definitely be getting some winter specific tires next season and im sure all will be well.

Take it easy until you get comfortable.

The body roll itself isn't what causes the tires to break. You can push the car a fair bit, get a lot of roll, before they come close. Wouldn't learn in wet weather.

If you're going slow just make sure you're not in the passing lane and you'll be fine.

Do some autox or pdx days to learn.

The amount of traction you have to the road starts, ends with the tires. Its the single most important factor. In snowy MI my little Scion tC would out drive 4WD trucks and SUVs because I had snow tires and they didn't.

Yokohama S-Drive

215/45R17

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=S.drive&partnum=145WR7SXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I read the description.... don't flame the crap out of me. haha It says not intended for near freezing temps...which are all I've been driving in:(

So tires are on the docket for next winter, for the safety alone. Glad I got that question answered!

Hey, a learning experience without a bad ending! Could have been much worse given the situation.

Now you have a lot to consider over the summer in regards to your winter solution. Different wheels/tires, different tires, different tires on the same rims....etc. The general rule is that the more 'winter grip' your tire has the less performance it will have everywhere else.

I've found separate snow tires are well worth it not for avoiding sliding but for decreasing stoping distances. My spec.B outstops my family Jeep Wrangler because of the aggressive Blizzaks on it.

Yokohama S-Drive

215/45R17

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=S.drive&partnum=145WR7SXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I read the description.... don't flame the crap out of me. haha It says not intended for near freezing temps...which are all I've been driving in:(

So tires are on the docket for next winter, for the safety alone. Glad I got that question answered!

:lol: *smack* Those are Ultra High Performance Summer tires, and they're what I *just* switched out my winter wheels to use.

For the winter, I use Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires on my stock rims.

Yokohama S-Drive

215/45R17

Those are summer tires and generally dangerous to drive in the winter. Consider in cold they harden up and can, without warning, break lose. Avoid this in the future, for you and others on the road.

Archived