LegacyGT.com

Paint chip or clear coat delaminating

Searched the threads but not sure if that's exactly what's going on with my front bumper. Notice this a couple weeks ago just purchased the car two months ago definitely don't remember it being like this on the lot. Weather has been typical PNW rain. Any ideas/solutions or is this typical Subaru paint?

IMG_4753.thumb.JPG.2370fecd011420dc240c1116fd09ed11.JPG

IMG_4752.thumb.JPG.ab484085265e54ca5785a1575860b92f.JPG

Did you purchase the car used? It looks like the dealer airbrushed the bumpers to cover rock chips or scrapes, and the airbrushed paint is peeling off.

I had an '03 VW GTI that I purchased used and it looked *exactly* like that.

I did purchase it used - do you think it was the used car dealer or the local Subaru dealership it was originally purchased from.

Either way- what's the solution for this?

It was the used car dealership that you bought it from.

They make it look pretty while it is on the lot and you end up with something like this later.

You will need to get the bumper completely repainted if you want it done right.

this is not typical Subaru paint , oem paint are very strong and are not affected by weather temperature .

like BUJonathan said , the car was touch up before sale to look good. the paint is now washing away cause the surface was not sanded .

you could buff it with an extra cut compound and see what is under , i believe the best solution is to repaint complete bumper , of course is not cheap!

Did you check Carfax before buying? As @madrig stated...if it was touched up maybe it was in an accident or something happened to the bumper to make it necessary to repaint. If not done correctly, what you are seeing is the result. I agree on having the entire bumper removed, sanded properly and repainted by a reputable shop that will offer a lifetime warranty on their work.

I checked the carfax before buying and still have a copy of it no record of any incidents. Seems like the used card dealership probably touched it up for one reason or another. I don't know if reaching out them will help at all, given it's sold as is.

My paint guy said process would be as follows:

-Strip Bumper of Existing paint

-Prime

-Prep

-Paint

-Sand/Buff.

$450 lifetime warranty

you dont have to be worry about you car being in an accident , i dont believe is the case here , dealer and other just hide small scratch , paint chip , if a fender is dent they decide to repair it .same go for the mechanical side to add new tires or new brakes .

they want to get the most money from the sale .

What year is the car? Who did you purchase it from...Subaru Dealership? What are the miles on the car? I have had my 2015 now for over 2 years and the paint looks like the day I bought it.

Did you check Carfax before buying? As @madrig stated...if it was touched up maybe it was in an accident or something happened to the bumper to make it necessary to repaint. If not done correctly, what you are seeing is the result. I agree on having the entire bumper removed, sanded properly and repainted by a reputable shop that will offer a lifetime warranty on their work.

To clarify, this likely has nothing to do with a reported accident so odds are it won't show up on the CARFAX, and nothing to do with the OEM paint so it won't compare to how well the paint is wearing on your car. Often dealers will have specialty companies come in and airbrush bumpers to cover up light wear and tear (rock chips, parking lot scrapes, etc.). This is cheaper and quicker than sending the car to the bodyshop and having the bumper completely repainted.

If the surface isn't prepped correctly, the airbrushed paint will flake off. You can tell the OP's car has been airbrushed because the paint that is flaking off is very thin, and underneath you can still see shiny OEM paint. I had this exact same thing happen to me 10 years ago on a CPO'ed 2003 VW GTI -- it looked the same as the OP's car. If this were an OEM paint issue and the OEM clearcoat were peeling, it'd be dull underneath. If the OEM clearcoat + underlying paint were peeling, you'd see black plastic or primer underneath.

To the OP: I would go back to the selling dealership and complain. If the car was CPO'ed, request they pay to have the bumper completely repainted. Most likely however, they will want their airbrusher to warranty the work... which means covering it up with more airbrushing, unfortunately.

What year is the car? Who did you purchase it from...Subaru Dealership? What are the miles on the car? I have had my 2015 now for over 2 years and the paint looks like the day I bought it.

I second that statement.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It's reassuring that it's isolated to the bumper and not a overall paint issue. I thought of taking it to the dealership but like it was mentioned their best solution would be to airbrush again. I got an appointment next month to paint the bumper for $450

I would highly suggest that you ask the dealership you got it from if they know. If that dealer give you a "I 'unnno" go to an actual dealership (if you have mileage left on the factory warranty). Then you should contact SOA if necessary.

I just went through the same issues rust under the paint causing bubbles and paint flakes on a year old car and SOA paid $2700+ to take care of this for me. The car has been there for a week now being repainted at their local body shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived