LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy, A/C compressor slows engine down at idle

Hi guys,

I recently had a ton of work done on my 2.5i. Now I see that when the engine is hot and the car is at idle, if the compressor kicks in the slows to almost a stall (doesn't stumble but very slow idle) for a couple seconds until it speeds up a bit and compressor shuts off. The air is cold and compressor is cycling normally.

I had the head gaskets replaced because of the dreaded oil leak (Subaru paid half) so of course the belts were replaced, possibly the compressor was removed too, not sure.

The belt deflection seems to be OK, maybe a bit on the tight side.

Any ideas? Not the end of the world but it wasn't such a noticeable thing before.

I'm thinking they probably disconnected the battery, and the car is still relearning. Even if everyday driving is fine, I'm thinking if the compressor hasn't come on at idle much yet then the car hasn't has a chance to adjust to that.

I actually replaced the battery a day before I realized this was happening. You think a loss of power would cause the ECU to relearn this? Didn't consider that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Yup, that's my guess. Non-turbo legacies act funny after the ecu has been reset. If the problem persists 3-4 weeks from now, then I'd start to think something might be wrong.

Archived