LegacyGT.com

LED lights for your back license plate

loomie111

You have to remove part of the trunk to get access to them, basically you remove your license plate, remove the two screws behind it .. and then pry part of the trunk off .. then you can get access to the piece that contains the backup lights. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes tops.

Alternatively you can take off the inside lining of the trunk, popping a handful of plastic rivets that holds it in place. You will need a bit of force though so don't be scared of breaking it, those lil things are pretty sturdy.

I didn't use your method as I was worried it wouldnt be perfectly allign when I put it back together.

This is worth noting though: I dont know about the US Legacies, but the Australia Liberty's license plate bulb direction is sort of diagonal so the light beam does not shine directly onto the license plate. When I put my LED's on I was shocked at how little the plate itself was illuminated. I managed to manually fiddle around with the LED angle and found it would illuminate more shining directly down onto the license plate but in this position it doesn't secure at all. I used a bit of masking tape and blue tack (do u have that in the US? lol) to put it in place and so far so good but its still not as bright as I wanted it to be..

I shall post pics shortly..

I had some freebie hyper white wedge bulbs siting around so decided to put them in over the rear plate/tag to see how they looked. Nice white light without being overly bright so I'm leaving them in.

I installed them on my sedan without having to remove any parts to gain access. If you have long enough arms and some dexterity you can open up a gap in the trunk liner at the side edges of the trunk without having to remove anything. Stick your arm in there far enough to locate the bulb socket and turn counterclockwise to release it. The wiring isn't long enough for you to pull it all the way out but you can get it close enough to the edge to easily see it in a well lit environment or with a flashlight. Swap out the wedge bulbs then put the socket back into the mounting hole. The toughest part is getting the tabs on the socket flush and lined up with the opening before you lock it in by turning it clockwise since you're doing this strictly by feel.

I swapped in 'xenon-white' rear bulbs for my wagon but they looked way too blue, and I feared getting pulled over by the police...

Not worth it, so I swapped 'em back. If I could find some that truer white without the icy blue, I'd do it again.

BTW, the wagon lic. plate light swap takes about 5 minutes. You sedan guys don't get any breaks do you?;)

You just need to pull the plastic holders out of the carpet, give it a good yank they wont break. Then reach your hand up into the trunk and turn the bulbs to the left. I realized this about 10min after trying to yank them out. The hardest part was then lining the lights back up and rotating them left. Its a simple project but just a pain lining the lights back up into the bracket

You just need to pull the plastic holders out of the carpet, give it a good yank they wont break. Then reach your hand up into the trunk and turn the bulbs to the left. I realized this about 10min after trying to yank them out. The hardest part was then lining the lights back up and rotating them left. Its a simple project but just a pain lining the lights back up into the bracket

I tried this way...but didn't twist the bulb enough and eventually came loose. Once the bulb is disconnected...you cannot get it with two fingers. I had to use a piece of gum on a wire hanger...finally got it but I have a piece of gum stuck in the bulb housing.

KevinH

I saw a lexus driving around the other day with LED licence plate lights, very nice indeed...

The OEM set up on the new Lexus IS's definitely look great.

That is exactly the white I want. None of this aftermarket blue/ white stuff.

A couple pictures for those that asked...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/DSCN0270.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/DSCN0273.jpg

Car color is Regal Blue (dusty).

These are the bulbs used...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/DSCN0277.jpg

I got 'em free when I ordered some other bulbs. They're "Blue Vision" but look pure white, at least in this application.

• 6 years later...
I had some freebie hyper white wedge bulbs siting around so decided to put them in over the rear plate/tag to see how they looked. Nice white light without being overly bright so I'm leaving them in.

I installed them on my sedan without having to remove any parts to gain access. If you have long enough arms and some dexterity you can open up a gap in the trunk liner at the side edges of the trunk without having to remove anything. Stick your arm in there far enough to locate the bulb socket and turn counterclockwise to release it. The wiring isn't long enough for you to pull it all the way out but you can get it close enough to the edge to easily see it in a well lit environment or with a flashlight. Swap out the wedge bulbs then put the socket back into the mounting hole. The toughest part is getting the tabs on the socket flush and lined up with the opening before you lock it in by turning it clockwise since you're doing this strictly by feel.

Monkey arms FTW!!!!

Archived