LegacyGT.com

Searched the Archieves on this... Installing HID's.... how to?

SWP-LegacyGT

yes I've seen Scans007 install doc on his website and I know how to install them but I'm curious if anyone has done the install WITHOUT drilling the holes in the cups that cover the H7 bulbs in the housing?

I was under the impression that you can just put the cup back on and the wires can just hang out the side.... or is it required to drill the holes?

BTW, I'm getting the Xtec H7 kit for my B-day today (i'll post pics tonight or tomorrow)

Either way I just wanted to know since I'll be installing them this weekend.

PS. Blunt use of a new eMote. :iam:

Unfortunately the dust cap creates a pretty tight seal and it would not be possible to leave the wires coming out the side of it. It may be possible, depending on the kit you are using, to use the existing grommets where the wiring enters the housing, but that may also require opening the housing completely to be able to route the wires correctly. The easiest solution, and most easily reversible with the purchase of new caps at about $5 for the set, is drilling a 1" hole to place the wires and grommet. Again, the size of the hole depends on the kit.

just installed this weekend the Mccullough ones from jinsupower (mad fast delivery by the way). i just closed the cap over the wires, they're covered w/ thick plastic coating and it s flexible. also the relay to the stock light harness can go through the rubber seal piece to the lateral side of the housing. see scans pics for what i'm talking about. but i was able to close the cap w/o cutting a whole. i'm sure it's tight in there but it's lighting and it works.

Alright Pew,

I've got the Xtec xenon kit that is sold by RPM on the vendor forums. So if drilling is needed, then I'll just take that route. Thanks for the response. :)

I got the X-Tec kit as well...i drilled a hole using exactly a 1" hole saw and you'l have a nice seal w/ the rubber boot that comes w/ the kit. I've had kit for about 6 mo. now no problems... <thus far> crossing my fingers...

You can do it without drilling the cap, but you'd have to drill a hole in the metal frame where the stock wires come in. Pop the grommet and make the hole big enough for the hid connectors to fit through...Way to much effort for me. There are no probs with drilling the dustcaps. Just get some Silicon or black filler putty and plug the space from the wires....I had mine on for a year, not a drip of mositure got in (and I baked them twice - once to clear, once to install halo's) If that is what you are worried about ;)

You can do it without drilling the cap, but you'd have to drill a hole in the metal frame where the stock wires come in. Pop the grommet and make the hole big enough for the hid connectors to fit through...Way to much effort for me. There are no probs with drilling the dustcaps. Just get some Silicon or black filler putty and plug the space from the wires....I had mine on for a year, not a drip of mositure got in (and I baked them twice - once to clear, once to install halo's) If that is what you are worried about ;)

+1

Just did this last night and it was really easy...A dremmel and about 5 minutes had two holes drilled. I got the McCulloch kit and it came with a nice grommet for each hole. It looks really professional and works great.

Chris

i had the prolumen kit in my 03 tiburon with the holes in the dust caps for about a year and moved them to my lgt and drilled the dust caps had them in since i bought it about six mo. and niether one have had moisture problems if you are worried about it use some grease in the gromit groove and make sure you use a spade bit

Unfortunately the dust cap creates a pretty tight seal and it would not be possible to leave the wires coming out the side of it. It may be possible, depending on the kit you are using, to use the existing grommets where the wiring enters the housing, but that may also require opening the housing completely to be able to route the wires correctly. The easiest solution, and most easily reversible with the purchase of new caps at about $5 for the set, is drilling a 1" hole to place the wires and grommet. Again, the size of the hole depends on the kit.

Where can we get the extra caps?

Archived