LegacyGT.com

EGR Question

I have reason to beleave my oxygen sensor is going because of hesitation once the car warms up.. But here is the thing... the other day when checking my belts and my AC charge I decided to start the car and rev it I noticed the EGR did not move.. Does it only move when the car is warmed? I did remove my engine to do the headgaskets and all and i'm about 90% sure I checked all the vac hoses and I have no codes regarding the EGR.. just curious here on why I never saw it open up when blipping the throttle.

car is a 97 outback.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny or being serious but yes when the engine is warmed up and you blip the throttle open quickly you should see the EGR diaphragm slide open and close back when the rev drops.. works on vacuum.

Most tend to get stuck open which causes a huge vac leak which makes the car hard to start or stall when at idle.

I'd have to check tomorrow after I get home from work when the car is up to temp.

The EGR probably won't open just by "blipping the throttle" you can slowly rev your warm engine and you should be able to see it move tho. You can also use your finger to open it and see if it's stuck or you have blockage.

If you open the EGR with your finger the engine should stumble if it doesn't you have blockage

• I Donated
The EGR helps can help save your valves by keeping combustion temps down for one thing...

Having an EGR does keep your combustion temp down, however not having it wouldn't burn up your valves. EGR is there to reduce nox emissions

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

hmmm nice to know LOl. Sorry for the stupid ? then[/quote

Hey no stupid questions, some cars are more prone to burnt valves and keeping the EGR valve functioning can mean the difference between doing a valve job or not.

It is also for pollution control, reduces NOX emissions if remember correctly. LOL

hey nitrates are good for the farmers. if that is really its only purpose, im gonna just stick with the egr delete i have.....and probably occasionaly get my cel checked out by a random auto parts store just to be certain its only the egr

From what I have read it should move about 1/8 inch when you blip the throttle.

The EGR probably won't open just by "blipping the throttle" you can slowly rev your warm engine and you should be able to see it move tho. You can also use your finger to open it and see if it's stuck or you have blockage.

If you open the EGR with your finger the engine should stumble if it doesn't you have blockage

Sorry took so long to get back but it could be stuck because of a few things.. carbon build up.. You can try to lightly push it open slightly to see if it will unstick it.

If it's really bad like on my forester I used to have, I had the EGR stuck open and it was a pain to start.

Archived