LegacyGT.com

Adding muffler to CBE to quiet it down. Opinions/experience needed.

HansGT

Ok, I've had my magnaflow cbe exhaust matted to my stage 2 LGT for two years now. Love the rumble, but at highway speeds it can get a bit drony (if thats a word) especially for those in the back. Recently I've moved and have doubled my commute time. Due to the extra time in the car it gets to be a bit much for passengers and although he doesn't complain, I don't want my son to go deaf. So what to do? I like the fit and finish and free flowing power benefit. Like some other LGT owners with the same set up I am looking into adding a third muffler to the midpipe section right after the DP. At the moment not interested in swapping out exhausts due to the extra cost or going back to stock as I just hated it that way.

Options:

1. Magnaflow 11219 (14x9x4 oval) Straight through perforated stainless steal tube with packing. Other members have had success with this muffler. But two things that concern me. 1: Due to the width you need to angle the muffler down (pictured). I'm already lowered and am concerned with scrapping. And 2: the sound reduction seems to be a lot. 75% normal driving and 50% WOT with no drone. Seems a tad drastic, I'm afraid I won't like it.

2. Dynatech 76-014302 (14x7x4.5) Straight through baffled (oxymoron?)

"6-8 dB" reduction. Don't know of anyone else that has used this and what to expect. I'd think it would be similar to the magnaflow but about %15 more noise given the less internal volume. (60% reduction, 35% WOT ???) 2 inches narrower that the magnaflow so it should tuck up under and keep things straight. Should have about 1.25" between muffler lip and driveshaft.

3. Vibrant ultra quiet 1142 (10x6.75x4.5) Straight through perforated stainless w/packing. Concerned it just may be too small. Classified as a "resonator" not a muffler...if that makes a difference.

4: Borla:

40943 (12x7 7/8 x 4.5) $$$ A bit more than I want to spend. Could be too wide and need to be dropped.

40944 (16x7 7/8 x 4.5) $$$ A bit more than I want to spend. Could be too wide and need to be dropped.

(Added) 40085 (15x5) Enough sound reduction? Kill drone?

5. (JUST ADDED)Magnaflow (14 x 4) Perhaps not taking the volume down a lot, but will it cut the drone?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14419/

img1399xu2.jpg.6969c6e35dc5f06e5e40e7bf00d69590.jpg

img1411pv6.jpg.eeb8d30be2cf64d3751196a8ee559f00.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things to ponder:

1) Do you want to take the edge off or dramatically change the sound?

2) Permanent change to the exhaust (weld in) or interchangeable pipes for both a loud and quiet system?

On my Miata I can change between a resonated and non-resonated mid pipe for about a 50% reduction in noise. Simple resonator was pretty dramatic. The two mid sections are V-Banded so the swap only take 5 minutes. An actual muffler that could be swapped in and out would give you a car with two totally different acoustic personalities.

Looking at the above pictures I'd be tempted to go with the Dynatech or something similar that fits.

Two things to ponder:

1) Do you want to take the edge off or dramatically change the sound?

Ideally I'd cut volume about 25-30% but kill all drone. Not sure if that's possible. May have to me more volume reduction to cut out the drone as well.

2) Permanent change to the exhaust (weld in) or interchangeable pipes for both a loud and quiet system?

Permanent. I can't be switching out pipes.

On my Miata I can change between a resonated and non-resonated mid pipe for about a 50% reduction in noise. Simple resonator was pretty dramatic. The two mid sections are V-Banded so the swap only take 5 minutes. An actual muffler that could be swapped in and out would give you a car with two totally different acoustic personalities.

Looking at the above pictures I'd be tempted to go with the Dynatech or something similar that fits.

^ what I am looking at is 3" center inlet/outlet. the one U mentioned is polished stainless...not really needed in the middle of the car.

i've always used the 14419..it's only $10 more but you are right..the polished isn't really needed.

vibrant seems to be a popular option, i think i remember finding a few posts where folks have used it...

i stick with magnaflow.

adverts of "baffles" scare me. i hate restrictions but they could be referring to perforation....i've seen those called baffles before.

I have the Magnaflow cat back pipes and muffler with two resonators in the midpipe, a metal silencer (donut) just inside the end of the tailpipe, and 3 to 6 layers of sound proofing "paint" under the trunk and inside the trunk and back seat area. Now the rear seat passengers have stopped complaining about droning.

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

someone with a wagon in that 7000 page magnaflow thread was able to cut the noise significantly I guess. I would be it is within the last 10-15 pages of the thread, though. it was pretty recent that it happened.

Maybe. But really and resonator should cut drone and part throttle and deepen the tone at full throttle.

Should also try and see what will fit where on the LGT. the Sentra lost most of the catback to mine. Like from the joint of the cat/catback all the way to the point that it curved for the suspension.

Equal length header for your woes.

Then all you have to worry about is the headers cracking :lol:

Warren

Eh, no, I have EL and it was still loud as hell until I swapped in STI quads mufflers.

Leaning toward the Borla 40943 (12 x 7 7/8 x 4.5). A bit smaller than the magnaflow...perhaps will fit a bit better...a little more sound yet better sound elimination vs. the 5" round one. Of course this is the most expensive on the list...

Guy at work recommended trying some 2" reducers in the mufflers. Think that would kill enough drone?

Archived