LegacyGT.com

Outback H6 vs Legacy GT spec B?

Komeng

Hi guys, new here :D Been driving a JDM 2003 WRX Impreza 4EAT SportShift, and want to move on to cargo haulers. Basically its down to the Outback with the H6 NA engine (rugged looks, huge tandem sunroof), or the JDM Legacy wagon GT spec B (EL optitron instruments, 18" wheels). Cant decide on which one! :( Please someone show me the way :? Thanks

[quote name='kanoswrx']I say go for the Spec B. Then sell me those 18" Wheels :)[/quote] Those 18" look awesome with Atlantic Blue body! I tell ya, been losing sleep just thinking about them :)

[quote name='agctr']Hmmm thats a tough one , hhmmmm Go with the Spec B especially if yr moving from a WRX and u want a lot more comfort with a lot more kick. Best of luck with the buying decision. Adam.[/quote] Youre right. In terms of engine power the H6 and the EJ20? in the GTB are almost equally matched, but road dynamics differ. Problem is I like each for their own merits! Wish I can get both :D Thanks anyway

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Will you be doing any mild off-road type things? Get the Outback. If you're staying on tarmac only, go Spec.B all the way![/quote] I love them both! Somehow where I'm from, the tandem sunroof and the optitron instruments dont mix. If I ask my heart, it says go for the oh-so-cool Optitron :D This car will be used mostly in the dark (am a commuter) so more time to enjoyyy the lightshow! Thanks.

They're very different cars. It depends upon what you plan to do with the vehicle. Personally, I believe that you should plan for the odd occurrence. You can go fast a lot easier in an Outback than you can go off-roading in a Spec B. Also, the Spec B has short gearing, a very firm suspension and 18-inch wheels, all of which will contribute to a rather high-strung driving experience. If you're planning short trips on smooth tarmac, no worries. But on long road trips, that kind of a ride could get old, pretty quickly. The H6 Outback will definitely ride more smoothly, get better gas mileage, and not be all that much slower, provided you aren't doing the 7/10ths+ stuff where the differences between the two cars becomes all too apparent. Ultimately, they are very different cars, but if it were my decision, I would go for the Outback. Heck, I saw a black Outback XT that made me regret my GT wagon decision. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']They're very different cars. It depends upon what you plan to do with the vehicle. Personally, I believe that you should plan for the odd occurrence. You can go fast a lot easier in an Outback than you can go off-roading in a Spec B. Also, the Spec B has short gearing, a very firm suspension and 18-inch wheels, all of which will contribute to a rather high-strung driving experience. If you're planning short trips on smooth tarmac, no worries. But on long road trips, that kind of a ride could get old, pretty quickly. The H6 Outback will definitely ride more smoothly, get better gas mileage, and not be all that much slower, provided you aren't doing the 7/10ths+ stuff where the differences between the two cars becomes all too apparent. Ultimately, they are very different cars, but if it were my decision, I would go for the Outback. Heck, I saw a black Outback XT that made me regret my GT wagon decision. :lol: Kevin[/quote] Kevin, thanks for your H6 view, when most folks seem to go for the GTB. Youre right about the odd offroading occasion -- I never dared try the sandy beach trails in my WRX, no matter how hard my rare fishing itch become! :( If only I can get both!

• 1 month later...
[quote name='agctr']As I said above, kit up with Spec-B and you will be so happy. Check out all the colours too, the white on the Spec-B looks especially yummy :) Lets us know what yr going to do? Adam.[/quote] :D Yes, the GT Spec B has arrived...and yes, I decided to get this one in Atlantic Blue, despite the yummy white Adam suggested. This JDM I'm getting is 5EAT SportShift (yes, detuned 260 engine) but heck, its still FUN :twisted: HID headlights proved useful in bad weather, and the 6CD stacker is my bestfriend on my daily 200KM commute. I dont collect MiniDisc, so the MD player wont see much action. The 18" alloys are getting jealous looks from my BMW, Merc and Saab colleagues 8) And I miss the delicious soundtrack of my previous WRX, but not so important. Only minor snag with this JDM is the FM radio goes from 70 something to 90 MHz as per Japan freq. but our freq. are in the 90 above range (possible to tweak?) Anyway thanks Adam et al for your input during my pre-purchase confusion :D

[quote name='Komeng']. Only minor snag with this JDM is the FM radio goes from 70 something to 90 MHz as per Japan freq. but our freq. are in the 90 above range (possible to tweak?) [/quote] Apparently so, something to do with a frequency compressor?? - they do it in the UK for the JDM imports, including the specB. Also..... :needpics:

[quote name='wunderkind']I didn't know Brunei has a Subaru dealership. Are you getting a recon car?[/quote] Yes we do have a dealer...one and only. We get a mix of Aussie spec and Japan spc models. My GT spec B is JDM, and brand new. :)

[quote name='Accord Lover']I say go with the Spec B. I think it looks better with those bumpers and wheels. BTW I heard the emperor of Brunei has like milllion cars!! I wonder if he has a Subaru Legacy???[/quote] Yes, I bought the spec B, and I agree with you on the bumper and wheels. As for the "emperor" :? yes he has loads of them cars but i dont think subarus come high in his list. He's more into custom one-in-the-world Bentleys, Rolls, Aston, etc. Not much fun like our subarus right? :D

Archived