2005 Legacy GT vs 99-01 Miata

zecrono

Legacy GT or Miata?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Legacy GT or Miata?

• Legacy
    • Miata

Alright so heres a little story for those of you that like to read:

Recently I bought an 00 Celica GTS and I can't stand it, its a perfectly fine car but the tranny is a PAIN to shift and often will not let me go into second while revving high (plus the 4th gear synchro is nearly shot), so I am looking to trade for something else. I've had my eye on the Legacy for quite some time now, but I don't know if I can afford it long term. I'm in college right now with a budget of about 6k (depends on how much I can get for the Celiry). There are a few around my area with 130k+ miles in my price range. Should I go for it? Or should I get a Miata? Yes I know this is a Subaru forum but I'm asking the honest opinion of Legacy owners (y'all seem like a cool bunch :cool:). The Miata I'm considering because it is my second choice if everyone says that the Legacy would be too much of a money hog. I do plan to take it to Cobb stage 2 in the future if you guys say to get the Subie. If the Miata, then I would just turbo it + supporting handling mods. I'm 18 and work part time at a grocery store if that matters.

For those of you who want the short story:

I'm 18 with a budget of ~6k (depending on how much I get for my Celica GTS). Can a college student afford a Legacy GT with 130k+ miles do you think? I also work part time at a grocery store if that matters.

Thanks for your input! :p

It will be more expensive to own than a Miata. Cost prohibitive? If you beat on your cars, or get one that's been beat on, then maybe. If you take care of it, then no. In reality, the choice is yours. I spent a year looking for the car I finally decided on. I spent a grand more than I had intended, but I ended up buying a babied 10 year old car.

Are you planning on having this as your DD? Will you depend on it for getting to/from class and work?

I can't say anything for or against the Miata, as I've never owned one. If you decide on the LGT: if you're buying an old one buy it ONLY if you see actual maint records. Be sure that the timing belt has been done. Regular oil/trans fluid changes. Check the LCA bushings for tears. The rear sway mounts bend easily. A poorly maintained, 100k mile turbo Suby can get rather expensive. Do the cars have evidence of modding?

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I voted Miata. Better on gas, and overall cheaper(maintenance+cost of purchase). Get the LGT once you have a higher paying job. I've had so much random stuff go wrong with my LGT and some of the parts are hard to find locally and/or some people want a premium for.

It should be noted, the LGT is pretty comfortable. This would probably it's biggest plus over a modded Miata or like cars(Civic, Celica, etc.).

Archived