LegacyGT.com

im screwed.

what do i do... i got my rear shocks. with tophat spacers on them.. and i get the ****** to bolt back up...... my local auto zone said i need a spring compressor.. will this work when the shock is in the well? im so in over my head its not even anything. this really really sucks.. iv been working on my car for 3 days staight now and im sick of cars.. never, have i been sick of cars..

what do i do... i need major help.. like almost to tears stressed out.

There are plenty of people on here who can help do e-installing with you or at least get you pointed in the right direction. I think you might need to be a little more clear with your description of your problem. Are you referring to "well" as being where the shock mounts? If you're asking if you can change everything over without take the whole shock body out then the answer is no.... Well physically you could I suppose but it'd be much easier to remove the whole assmebly and compress the spring on a workbench with the proper tool, :lol:.

Honesly it sounds like you may have gotten in over your head and might need a hand if someone can lend it to you....

Small spring compressors should help you out while it's still in the well.

The small compressors will fit but the hardest part of doing that will be the actual turning of the compressors in that tight area.

Should you not be able to fit small compressors in the well, just take out the strut/spring/shock & do them one by one.

If you use a large floor spring compressor, the shock/strut/spring assembly must be removed anyways.

Above all, have patience. This is more important than getting the job done, especially when you're at home.

BIIIIIIG +1 to the patience, remember there is a LOT of potential energy stored in those springs, and its not a job you want to even think about rushing. I remember when I replaced the springs on an Integra I had, it was the scariest automotive job I've ever done.

• I Donated

Take the strut (the spring with a shock inside of it) to a local shop and ask them to assemble it for you.

If you don't know what you're doing, that spring will shoot away from you (or towards you) with enough force to kill. A shop should do it for you for pretty cheap if its already off the car.

You have to compress the spring to take apart / put together the strut. The AutoZone tool for it SUCKS. You're much better off using a wall mounted one. They are MUCH safer.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You have to compress the spring to take apart / put together the strut. The AutoZone tool for it SUCKS. You're much better off using a wall mounted one. They are MUCH safer.

Can't comment on AutoZone, but Advance Auto has great units. Well built and works easily.

Never had any issues or doubts.

Some people have light spring compressors. The Strut compressors are heavier, and the hooks are beefy and they have locks on them, so that the springs cannot pop out .

Anyone with basic skills can operate one.

No need to pay someone else to do such a simple job.

O.

Not an attack at all. Next time do you research before you tear into the car. there are plenty of applicable Do it yourself walkthroughs on replacing springs and struts.

It sounds like you haven't done things this extensive before...check your local subaru forums and see if someone would give you a hand for some beer or lunch. I would love to help but you live across the country haha.

Try youtube for videos on using spring compressors too! Advanced Auto is good for renting spring compressors +1 . I bought mine from Sears for 40ish I htink

So where are you on this? Sounds like you're (possibly) struggling to get the top mount bolts out, and using a spring compressor to take strain off of them (which you would not need to do). Have you gotten the bottom bolts out (they're a real PITA), and/what's the issue?

As others have said, DO NOT attempt to take the strut apart WITHOUT using a spring compressor... you could get seriously hurt/killed or do likewise to someone else. Even if you don't get in the way of a flying top hat/spring perch/spring, etc., something else might get badly damaged though, so be careful.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If the rears are assembled there is an easy way to bolt them back on.

1. Bot rear struts to the body so that they are hanging there.

2. Put a floor jack under the strut and jack it ip into the strut until it compresses enough that you can get the bottom bolt through.

I'm sure this isn't the proper way of doing it but it has worked for me on several cars. I assume no responsibility for injury or damage. I have never encountered any injury or damage, but I also never had a problem figuring out how to install rear suspension.

Good luck OP

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Disassembly does not REQUIRE spring compressor. I would advise using it but I have done a complete spring swap on a friends car without using one.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Take the strut (the spring with a shock inside of it) to a local shop and ask them to assemble it for you.

If you don't know what you're doing, that spring will shoot away from you (or towards you) with enough force to kill. A shop should do it for you for pretty cheap if its already off the car.

this is what you should do. putting the assembled part in is easy. only 3 bolts use a jack to press up on the strut or wheel as needed to align the bolt holes

Just be wicked careful. I have worked on chassis suspension for as long as I have had a set of reliable tools...Springs are nothing to half-ass. Those compressor tools are good. Just inspect it before you leave the store, make sure the bolt head and threads on the rods are in good shape. Keep them opposite each other (at like 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock) cause if they slide toward each other, it's all BAD. No air tools on the compressor bolt heads, either. Slow and steady, sir. Blessings on this cause it is frustrating.

If the rears are assembled there is an easy way to bolt them back on.

1. Bot rear struts to the body so that they are hanging there.

2. Put a floor jack under the strut and jack it ip into the strut until it compresses enough that you can get the bottom bolt through.

I'm sure this isn't the proper way of doing it but it has worked for me on several cars. I assume no responsibility for injury or damage. I have never encountered any injury or damage, but I also never had a problem figuring out how to install rear suspension.

Good luck OP

i actually got a call that night from some of my other friends that are into cars and they needed help with a stereo install. im thinking.. hell yea! **** suspension,,, i like my wires.. when they got there we all started working on it and the assemabled shock went right in place.. and we did exactly what code said.. car is now a peppy 1 and a half inches higher.. just in time for the 10 inches of snow we just got here in MN..

it also feels stiffer.. like less body roll... any reason you guys think that might happen..

o and btw.. i never had the shocka nd spring aparts. i just welded new top hat studs into place and pull 1.5 inches of saggy butt spacers in top of the top hats...

but all is good.. im very thankful for my friends and how they just stayed there for like 4 hours... even help clean up... thanks blake, taylor, jette and nick..

• I Donated
but all is good.. im very thankful for my friends and how they just stayed there for like 4 hours... even help clean up... thanks blake, taylor, jette and nick..

I love friends like that.

I got hung up several years back doing a hub assembly on a Taurus. A friend came over to help and he wound up doing it for me....and cleaning everything up lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived