LegacyGT.com

ROMRaider Tuning questions

Mindflux

Hello Folks,

I'm using the v7 base map from ROMRaider on my 06 Legacy GT Auto. There are a few fields in the excel file that don't correspond precisely to fields in my rom file. The primary one is "Timing Advance (Maximum)", I'd hazard to say this is called "Knock Correction Advance Max" by the look of the table and comparing the table definition.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

If i were you, I'd find a different map that is made for your year specifically. Things can be different. You could rescale the load ranges to lign up right but I wouldn't be comfortable with it, meaning, mix and matching tables to your map. Sometimes the RPMs do not lign up as well, annoying to say the least.

If i were you, I'd find a different map that is made for your year specifically. Things can be different. You could rescale the load ranges to lign up right but I wouldn't be comfortable with it, meaning, mix and matching tables to your map. Sometimes the RPMs do not lign up as well, annoying to say the least.

The base rom over on romraider is for an 05-06 LGT? Is this not applicable? Sorry, new to this. VW's didn't have open source tuning, had to buy 'flash' from a vendor.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3184

Okay, I didn't know what map specifically you were talking about. There's about a hundred base LGT maps out there and saying v7 means nothing.

I don't see where the issue is in terms of copy and pasting the 2d tables, as I'm looking at a stock 05 LGT rom, and all the rpms correspond. select the entire cluster of cells and copy and past into romraider ecu edit table. knock correction advance is timing advance maximum.

Okay, I didn't know what map specifically you were talking about. There's about a hundred base LGT maps out there and saying v7 means nothing.

I don't see where the issue is in terms of copy and pasting the 2d tables, as I'm looking at a stock 05 LGT rom, and all the rpms correspond. select the entire cluster of cells and copy and past into romraider ecu edit table. knock correction advance is timing advance maximum.

Sorry for not being more descriptive. I've not found any other base LGT maps out there yet, are there others I should examine?

Part 2 - That's what I wanted to know. The excel file called it "timing advance (maximum)", but the romraider def called it "Knock Correction Advance Max".. just wanted to be sure I was in the right place.

Also there seem to be "Target Boost A" and "Target Boost B" in ROMRaider, but the excel file just lists "Target Boost", do I use it for both?

Thanks for your help! :)

What if the logs show knock, do you know what to do? You may be over your head if you dont know how and what to log...

Well I can imagine a number of things that might be good to log, but whether they are relevant to the tune I'm not sure.

That's why I'm asking, to see what's worth looking at and what's not worth logging. I've read that at 4800 baud it's good to cull down your log so you can actually get usable data rather than a bunch of noise from data that's not pertinent to a good tune.

Heck I remember 2400 baud dial up, it's kind of scary to think that this ECU talks at 4800 baud.

I really think it would be better for you to get an e-tune from a professional tuner. A pro will walk you through the process of flashing a base map, logging the results, making revisions and repeating until it's done.

Figure $150 for a proper tune against thousands for a new engine... Of course you can learn to tune, and many of us have, but it doesn't sound like you have enough knowledge right now to do this safely. No offense intended.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Ok so using the latest RomRaider with the newest definitions (experimental) I seem to be missing Knock Sum and a couple of other data points to log. hrmm.

Those, and a few other params, only show up after you've connected to the ecu. Search the tuning thread, and romraider.com for the subie newbie tuning guide, it should get you.started on what to log, and how to NOT blow up the car. Biggest thing: small changes, and if you don't know how to do something..don't do it.

Those, and a few other params, only show up after you've connected to the ecu. Search the tuning thread, and romraider.com for the subie newbie tuning guide, it should get you.started on what to log, and how to NOT blow up the car. Biggest thing: small changes, and if you don't know how to do something..don't do it.

Thanks. Yeah I read that Knock Count may not show up until connected.

I'm using mikeyd's tune (http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3184) from romraider, I'm not trying to tune any further then that other than make sure my MAF is tuned right and I'm not getting too much knock or timing retard.

So far learning view indicates I'm in a good place, but I'll re-check it at the end of the week after it's been driven more.

Definitely not interested in blowing up my car.

Well I can imagine a number of things that might be good to log, but whether they are relevant to the tune I'm not sure.

That's why I'm asking, to see what's worth looking at and what's not worth logging. I've read that at 4800 baud it's good to cull down your log so you can actually get usable data rather than a bunch of noise from data that's not pertinent to a good tune.

Heck I remember 2400 baud dial up, it's kind of scary to think that this ECU talks at 4800 baud.

In 07 or 08, when they switched to CANbus, the data rate went WAY up. so they are only about two decades behind the rest of the world... :)

I have written some stuff about tuning and logging that you'll probably find useful. Items 4 and 5 will help explain what to log, and why, but you should read the rest as well to get a better understanding of the big picture:

http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/IncompleteGuideToTuning

Archived