LegacyGT.com

CEL P0122 - Any Tips?

Hey guys,

So I did search around a bit but this seems to be a pretty ambiguous CEL and I was hoping someone might have some firsthand experience to share on our generation of Legacy, or at least help me figure out what I need to do to follow some stuff I did find.

The basics:

Error Code P0122

Definition:

Throttle/pedal position sensor/switch "A" circuit - Low input

Probable Causes:

1. Open or Short Circuit Condition
  2. Poor Electrical Connection
  3. Faulty IP Sensor
  4. Faulty APP Sensor

So it seems to be kind've ambiguous. I've got no idea what an IP Sensor or APP Sensor are so some help in that would be nice. I'm not real sure how I would figure out if I've got an Open or Short Circuit, same for Poor Electrical Connection.

I did find something about cleaning out the throttle body in my searching sometimes fixing this issue, but I can't seem to find my Haynes Manual, and I'm a real newbie to trying to do engine work myself, very willing to learn, but I've got no idea what a throttle body is or where it might be hidden.

Another issue that may or may not be related to this engine code, I'd certainly never noticed it before today, but my windshield washer pump seemed to lack power, and the wipers themselves were very sluggish, so much so that at one point I had to pull back on my wiper arm to keep sending the signal to run the wiper (single run thing) until the blades finally made it and reset back into their slots. Oddly after I stopped at Auto Zone to have my code read, they seemed to be working okay again and I refilled the fluid just in case. I can't imagine both the pump for the fluid and the blade motors would fail at once so I'm hoping someone has some ideas on this too, and if it might be related!

I'd love to fix this myself if possible and avoid taking it to my mechanic.

Part of your throttle body is a disc that is inside your intake manifold. That is what gets all dirty and gunked up. Follow your air intake from the passenger side to the top of of your intake manifold where the air intake clamps on. Pop it off and clean it out with throttle body cleaner.

You can also identify it by the two cables that attach to it. There is a spring and a few cables that look like bicycle brake cables. If you press on it it revs the engine. :)

Part of your throttle body is a disc that is inside your intake manifold. That is what gets all dirty and gunked up. Follow your air intake from the passenger side to the top of of your intake manifold where the air intake clamps on. Pop it off and clean it out with throttle body cleaner.

You can also identify it by the two cables that attach to it. There is a spring and a few cables that look like bicycle brake cables. If you press on it it revs the engine. :)

So I gave up trying to find a EJ25 photo and settled for a photo of someone's engine bay that seems to have all of the important features of mine.:spin:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2857/4801/7142400009_large.jpg

So if I understand this correctly, where the black box with subaru stamped into the top that's attached by a compressible hose to the air filter box attaches to the metal is what I'm looking for?

If I clean it out (how would I do so anyhow?) how would I go about resetting the CEL to see if that solved the problem?

If I clean it out (how would I do so anyhow?) how would I go about resetting the CEL to see if that solved the problem?

usually, once you fix an issue and drive it a bit the codes will go away naturally. otherwise, go to a shop that will check the codes for free and see if they will clear them. autozone and oreilly here are not allowed to clear the codes anymore. thats why i got my own scanner, hehe.

So if I understand this correctly, where the black box with subaru stamped into the top that's attached by a compressible hose to the air filter box attaches to the metal is what I'm looking for?

yes, that shiny tube like thing between the black box and the spark plugs is the throttle body

Ide say your tps is prob dieing. The sensor on the left side of the throttle body. I never heard of a dirty throttle body throwing a code for tps voltage?? When they go bad they get dead spots if you watch a graph it wont be smooth.

Archived